DUCati855

Interesting Pac-12 Developments From Canzano

I too feel like the "silence" is a good thing, and I'm looking forward to "Media Day"

• Go Ducks! 1

Mike Baumgartner’s comment about “TV executives secretly calling the shots” is spot on. UCLA’s athletic department is over $100 million in the red.

All UCLA’s administrators had to hear was the “siren's song” of the pot of gold from TV revenue that awaits them, and they quickly changed course and headed towards the siren’s island. 

I hope that both UCLA and USC ends up shipwrecked on the rocky shores of that island. 

Edited by Drake
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This creates an interesting but concerning situation for the remaining PAC members.

Experience tells me that there will be strong voices in the room that want CAL to not be left behind. Especially on those $100 million annual pay days. Why should your sister store play the same game and make twice as much money?

Inadvertantly the Regents could create a situation or float the idea of both schools in the BIG or no UC schools to the BIG.

If it boils down to just USC moving then the BIG needs another west coast school. Could that be Stanford? Bay area is a large metro area. Could it be Oregon, Washington? Who knows.......

What if the BIG just makes it easier and invites the 4 California schools. No Regents problem and massive metro areas. OUCH FOR THE PAC...

The Regents are going to use their so called litigation to get CAL a share of the pie.

Sad part is USC doesnt give 2 ....s about any the PAC members including the Bruins.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 7/15/2022 at 4:10 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

What if the BIG just makes it easier and invites the 4 California schools. No Regents problem and massive metro areas.

The Regents will have to re-write many of their existing statutes to allow any state employee's (this includes any team personnel) to travel to many of the states in the B1G.

If (and it's a large IF) they do re-write those statutes... you may have a point.

I feel UCLA may be told "You are not going anywhere near the B1G" and if that is the case.... I say leave them to hang!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This creates an interesting but concerning situation for the remaining PAC members.

I suppose anything can happen.

The PAC obviously needs to make moves to remain competitive financially. I guarantee that behind the scenes it is not quiet, Oregon’s athletic department, and key supporters are hard at work. 

I would not be a big proponent of just waiting around and hoping that Kliavkoff saves the PAC. However, at minimum I hope he can buy PAC members some time. 

Changes are going to happen, and Oregon will need to make decisions. I hope that when a decision is finally made that it is not solely based on money. Unfortunately, that may be unrealistic. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest willville

UCLA is going to the Big 10.  They would have already vetted everything. Who cares, both USC and UCLA have been irrelevant for awhile. The only place where this is a loss is the LA tv market. Go get San Diego State and Boise State and call it good or go merge 

with the Big 12 and stop giving a ratz azz about SC and UCLA, who cares. 

“WTD”

Sad part is USC doesnt give 2 ....s about any the PAC members including the Bruins

Aside from money, it’s hard to fathom what the Trojan brain trust imagined the result would be from making this move.

They have effectively put themselves on an island - both physically and psychologically - that makes them more like an independent than the member of a conference.

Do they really think they’ll ever be anything more than a money-making, time-zone novelty to a conference that barely accepted Penn St and resists the idea of Notre Dame?

They may add some Midwest recruiting clout, but it may be harder than they think convincing SouCal kids that it’s a good idea to play games in November in Minneapolis or Madison, especially with Oregon and others giving them an option.

The only thing, aside from money, that I see they’ve gained from this move is the reputation of being a disloyal and utterly untrustworthy institution that’s willing to backstab anyone in pursuit of their delusional dreams of grandeur. 

No one - including their new conference and UCLA - will ever trust them again.  

• Thumbs Up 3

The Regents are going to use their so called litigation to get CAL a share of the pie.

The B1G doesn't care one little bit about California's regents, nor should they. The only reason UCLA got to go is because they wanted USC, and taking the whole LA market made much more sense, especially considering logistics and scheduling. I suppose having a blue blood basketball program also helped. If B1G were told up front that in order to take USC, they'd also have to take UCLA, Stanford, and Cal- they'd tell the entire state to kick rocks.

The California regents and the California legislature... they simply do not matter. This little charade will be over soon.  

4iOZ.gif

• Go Ducks! 1

2002duck, you are probably spot on. Governor Newson and the rest of the Regents can bluster and position all they want. There is a big difference between following protocols and breaking laws and rules.

However, when and if lawyers get involved, well anything can happen. So we shall see

WashingtonWaddle, you make good sense about other than the money what is the upside for the Trojans? And there is no upside other than the money for ucla.  Ucla would fair better by staying in the PAC. Going after SoCal talent that doesnt want to play Purdue, Minnesota etc. Fight it out against usuck for that talent.

DUCati855 and willville, you make good cases for let them hang or who gives a ratz azz. Ucla will be a mid level BIG competitor and usuck will compete to make the BIG title game. Being in the West BIG means Iowa and Wisconsin will have their say on the field. But you still hsve to go thru the juggernaut that is tOSU  Michigan, MSU and Penn State. ( Those a compelling reasons for ND to compete in the ACC)

Drake, you sum it up best. Changes are going to happen and anything can happen. And our Ducks need to make good choices moving forward.

GO DUCKS.........the world is truly far and wide. Chart the best course for your journey.

• Go Ducks! 2

No doubt UCLA vetted all the legal gates they would need to deal with in order to make a move to the B1G.  

But they clearly couldn’t vet all the political risks because those are less concrete and they couldn’t back channel given the secrecy.  

The AD is going to be relevant only in internal UCLA discussions and that won’t be who Newsom is going to target his pressure campaign. He’s going to put the screws to the UCLA Chancellor

Key to remember Chancellors are political animals and have concerns broader than sports.  

While I doubt Newsom or anyone involved would ever take actions that would harm UCLA’s academic resources and excellence, they can make the those administrators with ambitious suffer.  

I would say there is a non-zero chance of UCLA having to get Cal to come with or back out.  

• Go Ducks! 1

I wonder what CHOICES the Ducks will have?? The B1G hasnt offered anything and the other BIG is an awful conference with whats leftover-maybe just as bad as the remaining PAC. The ACC???? really??

• Go Ducks! 1

We will know sometime in the next two years, and the two FishDuck sites will make the best of it—where ever we end up.

In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy Oregon Sports to its fullest before changes occur.

I never thought that I would say that I will savor a game with Washington State or Arizona like I will the next two years.

Ditto for non-revenue sports…

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/16/2022 at 4:38 PM, Charles Fischer said:

We will know sometime in the next two years, and the two FishDuck sites will make the best of it—where ever we end up.

In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy Oregon Sports to its fullest before changes occur.

I never thought that I would say that I will savor a game with Washington State or Arizona like I will the next two years.

Ditto for non-revenue sports…

This ^^^^^^

• Go Ducks! 1

On 7/15/2022 at 6:41 PM, DUCati855 said:

I feel UCLA may be told "You are not going anywhere near the B1G"

USC should have teamed up with Stanford to leave.  Since they're both Private institutions.  Then the B1G gets LA & San Fran, and still gets the Athletics & Academics, without all the Bureaucracy.

• Great post! 1

Below is a link that shows some ballpark future TV contract figures that a statistics junkie put together based off of a legitimate estimate put together by Navigate who is an "entertainment and sports market research entity". 

Certainly the reality won't be spot on with these projections but it may give a feel for how things could look.

Two thoughts:

1) if the PAC and XII did merge in some fashion I actually think we would overtake the ACC by a significant margin as the third largest TV revenue conference in college athletics

2) the SEC and BIG numbers are absolutely absurd and it would take a future merging of the top programs from the PAC, XII, AND ACC to come close to bridging that gap.

PROJECTED TV CONTRACTS

Edited by OST8
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 7/16/2022 at 7:00 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

USC should have teamed up with Stanford to leave.  Since they're both Private institutions.  Then the B1G gets LA & San Fran, and still gets the Athletics & Academics, without all the Bureaucracy.

I agree. But why didn't the B1G do that? That's a head scratcher to me. It would have opened up the recruiting footprint to all of Cal.

It isn't like UCLA has a better fan base in FB or a better record. It has to be the other sports like BB and the like.

I guess I would prefer Stanford to go than UCLALA Land as it would keep our footprint in SoCal and the Bay area.

Let's hope the powers that be put a upper cut to UCLA leaving. That would be the best for the Ducks and the PAC.

Edited by Duck 1972

Financially Stanford doesn't need to beg, UCLA does.  Current numbers are difficult to find but 20 years ago Stanford's endowment sat at $7+ billion with $300 million earmarked for athletics.  The total endowment is now over $41 billion with great returns.  Assume somewhere around $2 billion is specified for athletics.

UCLA has a $100 million athletic department deficit.  Beggars can't be choosers.

I understand that part of it. But what's the B1G thinking.

I believe they thought UCLALA had vetted everything. Seems they forgot the gov who's the head of the CA reagents board and he's not to happy right now with concerns for the rest of the college's in the state.

Just seems Stanford as a private school would have been better to match with uncivilized spoiled children, like chrisjenn99 posted.