Pennsylvania Duck

Spencer Webb and Todd Doxey - An Informative Read

USATSI_18696552-1200x628.jpg
SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Friends, coaches, teammates are mourning again. Spencer Webb's tragic death brought back painful memories of Todd Doxey --...

• Thanks 2
  • Great post! 1

"...Who bothers to warn people about swimming? It’s not on the list of things we warn them about.”

There were other Ducks who died in a water incident. Basketball player Jesse Nash, who drowned while inner tubing on the Willamette River several years ago. And in 2013 Alex James Rovello died as a result of a diving accident at Tamolitch Falls.

Though one never knows how much a young person will listen, I think every new student athlete--heck, every new student--should be told about the dangers of swimming/inner-tubing/diving into the waters in Oregon.

It is sad when anyone leaves this Earth, but more so when it is someone young and all their potential goes with them.

😢

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2022 at 8:11 AM, Annie said:

"...Who bothers to warn people about swimming? It’s not on the list of things we warn them about.”

There were other Ducks who died in a water incident. Basketball player Jesse Nash, who drowned while inner tubing on the Willamette River several years ago. And in 2013 Alex James Rovello died as a result of a diving accident at Tamolitch Falls.

Though one never knows how much a young person will listen, I think every new student athlete--heck, every new student--should be told about the dangers of swimming/inner-tubing/diving into the waters in Oregon.

It is sad when anyone leaves this Earth, but more so when it is someone young and all their potential goes with them.

😢

The state of Oregon with all of it’s beauty and outdoor activities claims the lives of people both familiar, and unfamiliar with the various perils that the beauty possesses. 

A day that should have ended with friends discussing how much they enjoyed the days activities, ended tragically. 

The tragedy is enormous to anyone who knew Spencer Webb. He is part of the Duck family. For those that were with him, and witnessed this accident, I hope they can find peace given time. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The article makes me want to know more about the players and the people they are. Too often we are so focused on the athlete part of the young men and women who are part of the Athletic Department. What is their 40 time, how much can they lift, how high can they jump. They are all real people with struggles and accomplishments on and off the field. 

From the bio section through the related articles about the players it is all football. I think the Athletic Department could differentiate themselves if they made each student athlete a real person. What did they do in high school, how many siblings, passions, hobbies. We have some amazing student athletes, who are people too.

On 7/16/2022 at 1:23 PM, Haywarduck said:

... What did they do in high school, how many siblings, passions, hobbies. We have some amazing student athletes, who are people too.

That's the sort of thing we often ask at Daisy Ducks when we're lucky enough to have student athletes come with their coaches as guest speakers. 🙂

• Like 1