Steven A

Backlash as Devon Allen DQ'd by 'BS Rule'

AAZGNqo.img?h=315&w=600&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=f
WWW.MSN.COM

Hurdler Devon Allen, who is joining the Philadelphia Eagles next season, started too soon after the gun was fired.

Sad way to end track career, on to pro ball now.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Being declared to quick to compete in a world championship sprinting event deserves it's own medal.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sad, but DB's throughout the NFL have to be worried about a guy with that type of speed and reaction time. Congrats to a great Track and Field career. Time to move on to the NFL and the next chapter. I know I will be watching and cheering you on!

That is a crazy rule, you can't react after the gun until a certain metric, and there is no science to support the rule. He didn't jump the gun, he just reacted too fast, time to move on.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I watched most of all the events on NBC/USA/CNBC (I don't have Peacock) over the weekend.

Read this sentence:  According to the timing technology, Allen had started 0.099 seconds after the gun. 

How is it a false start, if you go after the gun is fired?  Totally crazy. 

FYI, electronic is not 100%.  Wimbledon had a guy not play for around 15 minutes arguing about a ball being in/out.  He said it was out, but the electronic system said in.  In the article, they had live camera angles and showed the ball was out.

• Great post! 1

There is no way the equipment in all 8 lanes is calibrated to within a thousandth. Devon does not move any part of his body before the gun. There were also 2 women DQed in their races with just a couple of thousandths. This really needs to be revised.

• Thumbs Up 2

It makes no sense when they move AFTER the gun shot.

• Thumbs Up 2

What an absolute joke.  Literally penalized for having reactions that are too quick.  Imagine:

You were the first one into the concert hall after the doors opened - sorry, you reacted too quickly, so you need to leave. 

New Hampshire's primary was the first in the US, so those votes don't count.

No, you weren't offside, but you reacted too quickly after the ball was snapped, so we're giving the offense five yards and an automatic first down.

You hit the game-winning bucket, but you left one-thousandth of a second on the clock when it left your hand so we're going to wave it off.  

Sheesh.

• Thumbs Up 1

The inappropriate use of technology as a means to sidestep decision making by start line officials who don’t want to shoulder the responsibility for determining disqualifications is simply not acceptable. If you don’t want the responsibility that comes with the job, find something else to do. 

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling

Reaction time was the only advantage I ever had back when I ran track... If no movement is spotted on visual review, it literally is saying that the twitch of a cramping to is equivalent to a false start.

Absolute Idiocracy!

The inmates are running the asylum...

• Thumbs Up 1

Good article on why a DQ on first false start and the science showing the rule is flawed. 

Mike+Rowbottom.png
WWW.INSIDETHEGAMES.BIZ

You can say what you like about the disqualification of Devon Allen from the world 110 metres hurdles final in Eugene for a false start - and many people have been - but it was certainly the polar...

• Thumbs Up 1

This article explains the reaction time standard.

I have yet to find an article clearly explaining the mechanism within the starting blocks as that might be a weak point.

• Wow 1

And this is an interesting quote from a WP commentor. "It is pretty rare that a sprinter or hurdler is measured with a reaction time less than .120-.125, but it does happen. To capture the outliers, the reaction time considered a false start was set at .100 seconds several decades ago.

There has been a fair amount of discussion within the track and field community that the timers in Oregon have been recording "starts" ever so slightly faster than other timing systems. There have been numerous races over the last few days where sprinters have registered "legal" start times better than .110. Allen registered a .101 reaction time in his semifinal heat. Including Allen's false start, several false starts this week were in the .090 - .100 range.

These results seem to be too clustered to be explained by coincidence or by athletes trying to gain an advantage. While the result can't be changed now, I think Allen has a legitimate argument and the timing system in use needs to be inspected."

• Great post! 1

Seems the solution is to set the standard at .00----. That way if the machine is off by .0001 the athlete isn't penalized. Crazy rule, but time to move on, unfortunately Devon's last race was a failure, by the timing machine, and those who make the rules.

Devon will never will never be defined a failure in my book.

• Thumbs Up 1

This story has a Nike ad written all over it.

Let's hear your taglines.

On 7/18/2022 at 12:28 PM, nw777b said:

I'd tie this into a Mach 10, Darkstar ad mirroring Top Gun: Maverick...something along the lines of Devon blowing out of the blocks, burning down the track and taking off over the first hurdle...and as he does so, he blows the hat/uniform right off of a track official. Then said official states that he's too fast and pulling the program. It could end with Devon in an office with said official and that official telling him his time is over, he's done.  Devon casually turns around, says "maybe so sir, but not today" and walks out grabbing some of his Philadelphia Eagles gear on the way out the door.

Edited by Wrathis
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Would have liked to see Devon get his shot at a medal in Eugene. Only two people in history have ever run that race faster. That is incredible. 

I know I will be rooting for him, even if he is an Eagle ; )

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry Secretariat you came out of the gate too fast 

• Wow 1
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 10:28 AM, nw777b said:

I could see the advertisement being the race with the DQ gun going off, and then he transforms into an Eagle in the NFL jersey. He then looks up as he crosses the line in the Eagles uniform, Nike cleats, a world record time, looking ahead, with a football in his hands. The tag line, never look back, always forward and onward! It's not a race, but a journey.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

According to what I read, he said 6 to 7 yrs football and then back to the track. Might be sooner if he were not to make a team. Can't see that happening, but!

I thought I had read somewhere a while ago that he wants another try at the next Olympics.

I got the impression from that article track is his first love, but he doesn't want to have to wonder if he could succeed at football also.

A few good years of football would probably pay the bills better.

• Great post! 1

On 7/18/2022 at 10:28 AM, nw777b said:

Faster than a speeding starting-gun blank!

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

Annie, I had same idea but yours was more precise.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/18/2022 at 2:25 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Annie, I had same idea but yours was more precise.

Same here, haha!

• Thumbs Up 1