Pennsylvania Duck

Jurrion Dickey is a 5-Star!

jurrion-dickey.png
NEWS.SCOREBOOKLIVE.COM

For the past several weeks, Valley Christian High School (California) wide receiver Jurrion Dickey has been generating...

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

By 247 standards Oregon is at 2 5-stars 

I think I placed the over under at 3.5 for this year. 

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The sheer potential of a Dante Moore/Jurrion Dickey passing offense is just too tantalizing not to speculate about, it's going to be a wild ride watching these guys develop!

• Thumbs Up 1

Rivals will be updating theirs in the near future, and it will be interesting to see if he is a 5-Star there.  I would think so!

Mr. FishDuck

Onward to Richard Young and Matayo Uiagalelei!!!

Edited by Wrathis
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I bet we land record number of 5* in the end... by a large margin.  Some DL/OL/LB and the RB...Young, maybe others

• Thumbs Up 1

Congrats to the young man. It is time to move on from the stars and ratings. He is a Duck, and it is about developing and becoming a Belitnikoff award winner, along with bringing a title to the program.

I get the focus on stars, but not the attention on the minutiae. Does he have potential, then sign him, and develop him. Who cares about the star ratings as they become the Ducks. 

When there is too much focus on the star ratings a kid can become more obsessed about that accomplishment rather than the long game. Turning a 5* rating into college awards, and an NFL career isn't a sure thing. We don't want student athletes on the sideline sitting there saying, 'but I was a 5* recruit, everyone loved me when I signed!'

I would actually like to see him lowered to a 3* before he comes to campus and be pissed off. I love it when you see a kid play and you can almost see the chip on his shoulder, it is so big.

• Go Ducks! 1

Hayward I agree with everything you said and when he get on campus believe me DL doesn't care how many 🌟 he has. He will have to prove it on the field.

But there is one thing that the star system of recruits does help. Confidence and national reputation.

The more 5's than 3' we get help us in the national standings. Which brings better chances of winning since that's what it takes.

Oh and getting other better recruits to come join the flock. So the more the better for the Ducks.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:41 PM, Haywarduck said:

I get the focus on stars, but not the attention on the minutiae. Does he have potential, then sign him, and develop him. Who cares about the star ratings as they become the Ducks

This time of year it is more fun for fans to see if we are "winning" the recruiting wars rather than the alternative of nothing as we wait for the season to start. 

I know for some fans they like the recruiting wars side of things more than the actual games. 

I for one cannot wait for fall camp to start. I am ready to see what our current players can do on the field. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I suppose it just reminds me too much of other programs whose recruits magically received another star once they signed on to their school. The schools never did as well as their supposed star rating focused showed they should have. I just identify too strongly to the past, onward and forward, I suppose! I absolutely love Lanning and all he is doing, by the way.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:41 PM, Haywarduck said:

Congrats to the young man. It is time to move on from the stars and ratings. He is a Duck, and it is about developing and becoming a Belitnikoff award winner, along with bringing a title to the program.

I get the focus on stars, but not the attention on the minutiae. Does he have potential, then sign him, and develop him. Who cares about the star ratings as they become the Ducks. 

When there is too much focus on the star ratings a kid can become more obsessed about that accomplishment rather than the long game. Turning a 5* rating into college awards, and an NFL career isn't a sure thing. We don't want student athletes on the sideline sitting there saying, 'but I was a 5* recruit, everyone loved me when I signed!'

I would actually like to see him lowered to a 3* before he comes to campus and be pissed off. I love it when you see a kid play and you can almost see the chip on his shoulder, it is so big.

Agreed. It’s also one of the best aspects of collegiate football. Kids growing into men. Mariota Herbert 3*  recruits. 5* only got Kamatule in the door.

One of the greatest Ducks to ever play the game of foot ball; Patrick Chung, was a 2*

As a Prospect

247SPORTS COMPOSITE®

• CLASS2004
  • COMMITTED2/4/2004
  • 4649446.png?fit=bounds&crop=50:50,offset-y0.50&width=50&height=50&fit=crop

• Thumbs Up 1

However, we do know that Stars matter. Mr. FishDuck himself has posted numerous articles etc showing blue-chip rate and how that correlates to success on the field. If memory serves, 38% of 5*'s get drafted and as those stars drop, so does the rate at which they get drafted.  Finding diamonds in the rough is great, but it's much more rare than garnering success from an already heralded athlete which is why recruiting matters and at least in part why so many of us watch it so intently...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The lesson is that stars indicate the percentage probability of success.  A two-star can make it, but it is very low probability and you cannot construct a team of them and hope to be in the elite.

11191915.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

Our yearly study of the teams with enough talent to win a national title in 2022.

• Thanks 2
  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Dickey is 16 years old.  Let that marinate.

• Wow 2

On 7/19/2022 at 2:30 PM, Flyin Vee said:

Dickey is 16 years old.  Let that marinate.

Echo's of Patrick Chung who turned 17 during his first fall camp at Oregon.   

• Thumbs Up 2