NJDuck

Canzano: 'UCLA's Leadership Will be Cowering for Forgiveness'

Interesting information on UCLA and governor of California.  Maybe the governor has clout after?

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

A battle forming over the Bruins departure.

• Haha 1

Well, I guess we will see how much political clout UCLA’s boosters possess. 

Funny comment about the Political Science Professors. I remember one of my Economics professors declaring in class in 1980 that the Dow Jones Industrial Index would never rise above 2000 points. I remember thinking to myself that “never” seemed like a long time…lol

• Haha 2

The question no one has asked-is who knew what and when did they know it.  

• Haha 1

Not going to say ‘I told you this isn’t a fait accompli’ but…

UCLA’s leadership acted stupidly here.  The ‘I thought it would have leaked beforehand’ as the safety valve for not blindsiding the most powerful UC (Cal) tells you all you need to know

Newsom is from San Francisco and will no doubt have deep ties to many powerful Cal alum (Cal alumnus are by far more powerful and wealthy political actors than UCLA’s…that isn’t me being a homer, it’s just fact). 

UCLA is going to have a pound of flesh extracted if it goes to the B1G which is probably the plan.  Don’t block UCLA.  Make them ‘voluntarily’ stay. 

• Yikes! 1

Governor Newson is not the kind of leader you would want to embarass or have as an enemy. From all the articles i have read he was blindsided by this move.

He is the Chair of the UC Board of Regents. How the (blank) would you feel about this if you were in his high profile position? He makes the decisions he does not have them made for him by others.

As i mentioned in other threads this will boil down to money and mitigating Cals financial long term damage.

Yes and mitigating the loss to the college system is going to be a high bar to cross by UCLA LA Land. Maybe the B1G won't want the hassle in the end.

Unless state/federal money is being pulled, I don't see why UCLA would not go to the B1G TEN.  We are talking 40-60 million more per year.   That is a lot of money, even if half of it is eaten up by travel costs.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can see a scenario where UCLA backs out and Stanford steps in, leaving the UC system behind. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If UCLA were to fall out, agree Stanford definitely would make the most sense as next up in the queue.  

They add the next biggest market and are the other west coast rival for ND which is the B1G’s white whale

On 7/18/2022 at 3:38 PM, Tandaian said:

Unless state/federal money is being pulled, I don't see why UCLA would not go to the B1G TEN.  We are talking 40-60 million more per year.   That is a lot of money, even if half of it is eaten up by travel costs.

Grant money might be a factor. Professors, especially in the sciences, can pull in pretty good money with grants, and I'm guessing that the $100 million from the Big 10 would go to the athletic department only?

On 7/19/2022 at 10:28 AM, Annie said:

I'm guessing that the $100 million from the Big 10 would go to the athletic department only?

Interesting question.  Probably like the lotto money for schools here in CA, if the athletic dept gets to keep all the money, then money from the school general fund or other sources that normally would go to the athletic dept would probably dry up.

If UCLA is forced to stay in the PAC then the conference is potentially on decent footing.

Though if UCLA is forced to stay in the PAC would the B1G decide not to take USC? They'd probably take them anyways. 

Don't u mean hopefully take them off our hands if the deal falls thru. would love to see them get beat up in the B1G. I don't like the uncivilized spoiled children at all.