Charles Fischer

Big 12, Pac-12 May be Realizing They're Worth More Together Than Apart

"Multiple sources tell CBS Sports neither the Ducks nor Huskies nor the pair bring enough value to the Big Ten (in the $80 million to $100 million range per year)."

big-12-logo-field-ku-usatsi.png
WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Plus: What's ahead for the Big Ten, SEC, ACC and College Football Playoff?

Mr. FishDuck

There is a lot of chatter going on that the TV Deal numbers are not looking too good for the Pac 12 and team's are starting to have meetings and discussions on what they should do

Pac 12 schools better get on board before it's too late Big 12 has a new commisioner in Brett Yormark who isnt messing around

https://twitter.com/Heartland_CS/status/1549138913796800513?s=20&t=O0xCduz9A7bf8YdPmjXRjg

Head of the SEC said they are staying with the 16 teams. The B1G doesn't want us. Merging with B12 would probably lower the money right now that our commissioner has been negotiating with the media.

Just read statement by WSU s President. He said a week ago he wasn't sure but this week is looking better and that fans would be surprised at the traction and value Khinichof sic is hearing and transmitting to the schools.

Will it be in the super conferences league, no, but will be sufficient. The PAC survives at 10 schools with cursitory looks at expanding. He is very positive that's the best way foreward.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like how the Big10 and the SEC are seemingly looking to make two power conferences and let the rest wilt on the vine....since USC has obviously conspired to make sure Oregon is locked out of the BIG10 - SC can't have Oregon poaching their backyard for top end players as they've been doing for fifteen years as they'll need those players to compete in the BIG 10 and what better way to get a leg up than to help relegate Oregon to a lesser conference - maybe turn about is fair play.

The ACC needs to do a deal with ESPN to end their current TV contract.....since college football is now a coast to coast operation maybe Oregon, Washington and say Stanford team up with say Clemson, North Carolina, Florida State, Virginia Tech and Miami....and maybe a couple of others....then poach the better schools from the Big 12 (Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech).....and form a third power conference.....otherwise it's gonna be the BIG10, ACC and the Little Sisters of The Poor....just a thought.

The PAC is in a Pickle--The PAC HAS to get something going-----Look at the teams in the B12, none have national brand status except Kansas in Basketball and maybe Oklahoma St in football.

Enjoy the next 2 years.

This is exactly where the SEC wants us--in the Dump

Edited by 1Ducker1

On 7/18/2022 at 4:47 PM, curtisd316 said:

Pac 12 schools better get on board before it's too late Big 12 has a new commisioner in Brett Yormark who isnt messing around

https://twitter.com/Heartland_CS/status/1549138913796800513?s=20&t=O0xCduz9A7bf8YdPmjXRjg

If that were to happen then an ACC and PAC tie up would be inevitable 

On 7/18/2022 at 7:12 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

The PAC is in a Pickle--The PAC HAS to get something going-----Look at the teams in the B12, none have national brand status except Kansas in Basketball and maybe Oklahoma St in football.

Agreed that we are in trouble...although I'd say Baylor is essentially the Oregon of the B12: Solid in multiple sports.  Kansas for basketball (and beating the 'horns in Texas now and again) and Oklahoma State is a solid program as well. It does make me sad though that a Pac/B12 merger couldn't happen, but if only for selfish reasons. Here's to hoping PK and GK have an ace up their sleeve, cause it's looking like we're gonna need it. Geaux Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

I have said it before and I know it wouldn't be easy, but football and maybe basketball have their own conferences and the rest of sports keep it regional.  TV contracts would be a mess, but it could keep more schools afloat.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I’d invite SDSU and Fresno State. Keeps them in that Southern Cali TV market, and I think the on-field product could be pretty good. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I’d invite SDSU and Fresno State. Keeps them in that Southern Cali TV market, and I think the on-field product could be pretty good. 

Maybe with that plan in the fold, you could get a lucrative deal from ESPN that would allow you to grab a couple Big 12 programs.

But again, who knows what will happen at this point. 

I feel like 1 of 2 things will happen:

1) UO and UW will negotiate a reduced market share to join the BIG.

2) UO and UW sign a GOR and keep the PAC conference together.  This flips the power from the BIG-12 back to the PAC, as UO and UW are the two most valuable remaining brands on the table. 

I don’t see how it makes any sense for UO or UW to join the Big-12.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, that didn't take long...

big-12-logo-white-usatsi.png
WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The two leagues recently raided by the SEC and Big Ten, respectively, had been discussing numerous possibilities

• Thanks 1

Haven't heard anything from U of O or UW as of yet. Since they are the bigs of the remaining PAC, I posit that they are waiting for the numbers to come in from the media and then determine what they will do.

I'm not sure what the by laws are for the B1G TEN/SEC, but why do the historical B1G TEN/SEC unversities get any say in this new world?  I'd say half of them don't move the needle in football or men's basketball in both conferences.  Why is each league still allowing TV losers to be in the conference?

Also, I find it odd that the B1G TEN added Rutgers and Maryland for their TV numbers, yet they don't come close to UO or UW in TV numbers.  Either it matters or it doesn't.  I think the only reason why Vanderbilt is in the SEC is to give them scholastic cache.

Vandy had a winning record since 2000:  2008(7-6), 2012 (9-4) and 2013 (9-4).  Before that it was 1982 (8-4).  Since 1980 they have won 6 or more games only those 4 times.

They keep the losers to bolster their top teams record.

On 7/19/2022 at 4:53 PM, Duck 1972 said:

They keep the losers to bolster their top teams record.

Makes sense...You need your winners, but I'd posit that the losers are just as important (maybe even more so) so long as they have a LARGE television footprint.  A team like UCLA isn't going to challenge your upper echelon teams but still has a viewership market large enough to bolster your big brands. I'm sure the Tuscaloosa market is tiny, but it doesn't matter so long as the Texas markets are tuned in to watch them stomp the Longhorns.

It seems we're a major team, but still not on par with the Bluebloods and as such, we don't command the national viewership that a 'Bama, tOSU, Clemson, Oklahoma etc does. We also don't have a market footprint large enough to warrant being fodder for those contending teams. Of course, not only are we not fodder for them, we're a risk to them and that's why they don't want us in their conferences. It seems it's also why they don't want to share their piece of the pie with us.

I could absolutely be wrong about this, but I've never viewed us in this light before.  Uncle Phil has made us a national brand, but we're not a blue blood yet and the PNW doesn't represent a big enough piece of the media market pie to warrant someone taking the risk on adding us. That being said, USC may end up competing in the B1G but it's an acceptable risk b/c of their media footprint. I think that means that if UCLA is held out of the B1G by CA legislators, then that's a huge favor to us as they still command enough televisions in the LA market to keep advertisers happy and bolster our new media deal...

I think I'm done trying to figure out where the Ducks will land, what makes a school attractive to a conference, etc.  So much conflicting information, misinformation, talking hairdos guessing or coming out with hot takes, etc.  

If the Pac 10 dies, merges, steals other teams, has an "agreement" with another conference...if UCLA stays or goes...if Oregon stays or goes...hey, it's not like they're going to consult me for advice.

And frankly, if they did, I haven't the faintest idea what I'd tell them.  

• Applause 1