NJDuck

Canzano: Pac-12 + Big 12 Doesn't Fit...On to the ACC

We knew this was happening.  ESPN is in the driver seat with these negotiations.  So now what?  ACC with the so called Loose Agreement?  Certain poaching as well from some of the Big 12 schools that brings in the best media numbers?

Will the PAC presidents and chancellors make the right decision?  So far their track record in the past hasn't been so great in this area.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Talks break down.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Thanks 1

My take is the PAC will stay together if the $$$ are sufficient in the upcoming media deal. We all know it won't be in the league of the B1G and SEC but if it's livable this makes the most sense.

As long as we schedule top opponents in the ooc which we would have 4 games now and win or not get blown out and win our conference games we will still be able to get to CFB PO.

• Applause 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:16 PM, Duck 1972 said:

As long as we schedule top opponents in the ooc which we would have 4 games now and win

I RELISH the idea of scheduling USC and UCLA (if they make it, otherwise I say we leave them homeless) and ruining their seasons EVERY OPPORTUNITY WE GET!

• Applause 1

The challenge with the poaching scenario is that no conference can negotiate to make that happen as it would require the programs being left behind to actually agree to vote for that outcome.  

IOW, the PAC isn’t going to negotiate with the ACC to field anything less than the 10 remaining teams.  And the per team money in blending only gets better if you drop 2-3 of the 10 remaining PAC teams.  

If any 16 team league spanning the PAC and/or the BXII and/or ACC were to happen it requires the first two conferences knife their fellow members and ESPN finds a way to green light a new deal for the ACC but for fewer teams in that newly reconstituted group which is effectively knifing their fellow members as well.

Anything other than a full merger or milquetoast alliance will not be coming from league sources.  So, great if the full 10 get a deal that is a good bit higher than projected but don’t be surprised if there are parallel shadow discussions underway or will soon be underway once the full size of the new media deal looks like.  

Edited by CalBear95
  • Great post! 1

No thanks. I'd rather be the PAC 10 than a backstabber like uncivilized spoiled children and the UC LA LA Land.

• Salute 1
  • Applause 1