Tandaian

World Championship Defined by Devon Allen's DQ

Maybe someday track and field will get out of its own way.

5WDS54T3MRCQRGA326AFWCD3YM.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

If there is one thing international track and field can be trusted to get right, and there might only be one, it is to rigidly enforce its most archaic and arbitrary rules.

• Applause 2

He was spot on in this article.  The world governing bodies of T&F have been an excrement show for decades.  I get that there are cheaters and people doping and drugging to try to win...remember Ben Johnson?  But at the root we have sports where it takes you back to being a kid...who can run the fastest, the farthest, throw the farthest, jump the longest or highest... we should all relate to T&F at it's most basic levels.  This will hopefully be a wakeup call for the sport.  This was absolutely ridiculous, like the Crap 12 refs in the Stanford game in 2012, can't even get it right with a review.

To say that Devon's DQ is the defining moment of these games is pathetic, sad, and disgraceful, but...100% spot on true.  Lame for T&F, and the athletes that work SO HARD to be at this level, I feel so bad for Devon, he's taking it like a man, gracefully, but it has to sting.   Money and politics, conference realignment, everything wrong with sports is rearing its ugly head at every turn lately and it is ruining sports.  Sorry, I'm back in Fairbanks and it's gray cold and rainy and I'm hungry and ticked off the fun of sports to divert from the craziness of this world is becoming like everything else wrong with the world.

• Thanks 1

I am a glass half full kind of guy. There may have been too much lemon in that glass, but it was still some nice lemonade. There will always be stupid stuff going on and like Devon, we just need to move on. 

The Stanford game didn't define last season, nor will this race define the Championships or Devon's career. Time to move on, nothing to see here.

I personally am tired of all this focus on negative news. Seems like too much news is just put out there to piss us off, and bring us down.

• Applause 1

Agree with you on just about everything……except the Stanford game. Sadly, I think it did define the Ducks’ season……underperforming against relatively weak competition.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 7/19/2022 at 1:14 PM, DUCKED said:

except the Stanford game

Murphy's law game.  Coaches said that the last play of the first half AB keeping the ball was not a part of the play, until it was; Vardell goes down; two no-calls on last drive by Stanford; and, the no-call play was called.  Oh well, not that us Duck fans have not lived through disappointments before.

• Go Ducks! 1

You forgot loosing the OC and our best safety the day before the game.

On 7/19/2022 at 1:14 PM, DUCKED said:

Agree with you on just about everything……except the Stanford game. Sadly, I think it did define the Ducks’ season……underperforming against relatively weak competition.

I would say the Utah games defined the season, but the past is behind us, and so is that coach, thankfully. To the players the tosu game defined the season, much better way to remember that crazy fall.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2022 at 11:06 AM, Haywarduck said:

I am a glass half full kind of guy. There may have been too much lemon in that glass, but it was still some nice lemonade. There will always be stupid stuff going on and like Devon, we just need to move on. 

The Stanford game didn't define last season, nor will this race define the Championships or Devon's career. Time to move on, nothing to see here.

I personally am tired of all this focus on negative news. Seems like too much news is just put out there to piss us off, and bring us down.

I'm talking about 2012...the refs probably took a natty from us in that game, we'd have been the BCS #1 and Alabama would not have been in it and that Notre Dumb team didn't match up that well to us that year.

On 7/19/2022 at 3:38 PM, JDuck said:

I'm talking about 2012...the refs probably took a natty from us in that game, we'd have been the BCS #1 and Alabama would not have been in it and that Notre Dumb team didn't match up that well to us that year.

Ouch, that one hurt, agreed!

Too many greats competing in many many events.  sorry but doesn't define the two weeks.