Notalot

No Work-Life Balance In Coaching

More about the grind in today's coaching world.

Kirby Smart: "I was ready to step down and resign. I was done." - Footballscoop

kirby-smart.jpg
FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

About 13 months ago, before their national title run in January, Kirby Smart shares he was ready to hang up his...

Edited by Notalot

Recruiting sucks. 

It takes a lot of time and effort and the investment per athlete does not always deliver players who actually join the team. It's a lot of work and for every commit there are many more who commit elsewhere. 

I know it doesn't compare to football coaches but I ran a guild in World of Warcraft, yes an online video game, for years and the thing that drove me away from the game faster than anything else was the constant recruitment element. 

And that was recruiting in a video game ... I can't imagine how grueling recruiting high school athletes is. 

I'm a high school teacher now and I'm thankful I don't have to recruit for my classes they are just there. Well... I do have an extra curricular that requires some recruiting but that is only for about a month and that month sucks in that regard. 

I think anyone who has run their own business struggles with the work/life balancing act. Nothing real newsworthy about that problem. The article makes me wonder if Kirby is posturing for a larger budget to hire additional staff.

I will never say I feel sorry for a guy that is making millions of dollars per year. If you want to quit, go ahead. There is a long line of people waiting to take your job.

Way too many households struggling just to keep food on the table to feel sorry for multi-millionaire coaches. 

• Salute 1

Makes sense to me, right before something amazing happens, something really bad makes me want to quit. Seems like this is almost one of the most important life lessons we all learn, if we ever aim high.

On 7/19/2022 at 2:11 PM, David Marsh said:

I ran a guild in World of Warcraft

I end game raided during TBC, WotLK and Cata and the recruitment of high caliber players was absolutely maddening...especially once you got them in and geared and then they hit the transfer portal. Your analogy is SOLID!

Did anyone hear if NCAA ratified the unlimited number of official visits? DL said it would make it impossible to have any kind of home life if they went ahead with the idea. It's bad enough.

I've always said I wouldn't want to be married to a football coach, since they are never home.

But I remember one time, I think when Rich Brooks was head coach, that the families of the coaches came to each practice for 20 minutes to interact with the coaching, and I also think they had Thursday evenings off, and Sunday mornings off--except for Brooks, who filmed the coach show on Sunday morning.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1