Tandaian

Notre Dame Asking for $75 Million in Next TV Contract

How could NBC find the extra money? By adding what in the business is called "shoulder programming": or, other Power Five college football games to air around Notre Dame's that would help support that rise in value.

college-football-large-1678085.jpg
WWW.SI.COM

Notre Dame remains the one major program yet to make any moves during the latest phase of college football realignment. But up to now, the Irish have maintained

I can't see any network giving ND 75 Million per year.  They are headed to the B1G TEN, but didn't they say they don't want schools that don't add 80-100 mill in TV money?  If nobody is willing to give up 75 mil to ND, shouldn't the B1G TEN also turn them down?

I don't know but if anyone can do it it's ND. They have the largest fan base of anyone. As far as B1G, I believe they want the prestige ND would bring.

Paying 75mil for one team is a steep price for nbc considering they don't have any other college football. 

Fox and ESPN have whole conferences and as a result they can pay out larger suns potentially because they bring in more eyeballs. 

How many times have you turned the TV on to watch a Ducks game on an hour or so and ended up watching the previous game or at least part of it? 

Or after the Ducks have won, how many games have you stuck around to watch? 

Those are eyeballs that they capture by the nature of having bulk programming. 

For nbc and ND you go to NBC for the ND game and you leave as soon as it's over. They don't get any eyesballs on an ND game by chance. 

This feels like ND making a demand that NBC can't cash or won't cash and they know it. It is something that could be used to bow out of independence and save face along the way.