cartm25

Miami to SEC? Cristobal to Replace Saban? Were the Ducks Good?--First Take: Russo, Finebaum

Entertaining from First Take:

i?img=%2Fmedia%2Fmotion%2F2022%2F0719%2F
WWW.ESPN.COM

Chris "Mad Dog" Russo, Paul Finebaum and Dan Orlovsky make their case for who the SEC's top target should be.

• Haha 1

Who cares about those no nothing talking heads. goggly goop.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mad dog made a good point about Miami not being relevant for 20+ years. But, giving 0 respect to Utah for holding OSU to an excellent game and not accounting for Oregon winning the PAC 2/4 times and a Rosebowl. Ugh....

• Thumbs Up 1

You always need to keep in mind all of these pundits live on the east coast.  They are biased to what they see most often.  We are not a high frequency brand.  

We are 3 hours behind of 47.6% of the county.  Our geographic isolation and relative lack of population density proximity is what hurts us.  

To get a sense of how much this hurts: How often would you stay up to watch U of Hawaii if they had a good program and a 2200 PST start time?

Edited by CalBear95
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I recognize the disadvantage the time zone puts Oregon at, but overall, I am thankful. I like the 5:00 start times for the Prime Time games, very thankful to not have to start watching at 8:00. On Sunday the NFL games start at 10:00 and 1:00. which I prefer much more over 1:00 and 4:00.

The NFL has the advantage of controlling the entire inventory.  This means the SEC can block the 4pm ET slot if they share the same broadcast partner as the PAC because that partner is interested in spacing out games.  

Also, the NFL can shape when certain time zones play which is why the 1pm ET slot is fuller than the 4pm ET slot.  There is flexibility in moving a game to SNF of course but these are minimal areas of control for networks.   

In CFB, the networks have total control when any game is broadcast.  This is why the PAC will always get the short end of the stick.  

I yearn for the day when an NFL Red Zone show (if you don’t know what it is, stop reading and fix that right now) for CFB.  That would take a collective pooling of rights unfortunately 

On 7/19/2022 at 10:06 PM, CalBear95 said:

... How often would you stay up to watch U of Hawaii if they had a good program and a 2200 PST start time?

I don't even stay up to watch the PAC night games unless the Ducks are playing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/19/2022 at 10:06 PM, CalBear95 said:

How often would you stay up to watch U of Hawaii if they had a good program and a 2200 PST start time?

Same as a ewe dub non-Oregon matchup unless it is a Duck matchup or CShip implications involving the Ducks.