DuckIt

Bama's Newest Commit RB Justice Hayes is Recruiting Richard Young

Have you ever heard of a top RB (#3) recruiting another even higher rated RB (#2) from the same class to go play for the same team?  Bama is already stacked at that position, so the competition to play will be fierce as things stand now. Hayes is either supremely confident in his abilites to secure a spot or ballsy and naive to go recruit stiffer competition. Expect there to be at least one transfer.

Based on the latest On3 Recruiting Prediction Machine (RPM), Bama has 48.4% chance of acquiring Young to Oregon's 30.5%  The big story that these percentages or odds fail to tell, is that just 5 days earlier, the very same machine, favored Bama to land Young by a commanding 92.2%.  Whereas, the RPM only gave Oregon an outside chance of 2% at attaining Young.  

Despite his two visits to Eugene, a month ago, Oregon wasn't even in the recruiting picture, according to On3's RPM.  Oregon has appeared out of nowhere, to leapfrog Georgia and is now chasing down Bama, if the Ducks haven't already blown past them.

Less than two weeks ago, Bama's 247 boards started a thread, titled, "Richard Young Oregon." I suspect that Coach Locklyn's and Coach Dillingham's playful tweets, hinting that Young may be a Duck, might have had something to do with it.  All this conveys to me is that there are doubts about where he will end up. Originally thought to be a one-horse race, the Ducks have gained considerable steam, making some Bama fans rightfully nervous.

Now, the real question is whether Hayes's recent commitment may have put the Ducks in the driver's seat with Young???  Also, it doesn't hurt to have one the top QBs, if not THE top QB in the class, wooing him.

I would think Hayes committing to the Bama, would hurt rather than help Bama's chances of landing Young.  I don't doubt that Young is capable of being a starter from Day 1 on any team. However, Bama's RB stable is already full of studs, much closer in ratings to one another.  Some of them will have had more college experience than him, before he even sets foot on campus for early enrollment.

In comparison to Oregon's modest avg. RB rating of .9009 for the last three recruiting classes, Bama has hauled in an impressive avg. RB rating of .9773 which is probably even low for Bama's standards. Bear in mind that Oregon's average doesn't take into account the multiple walk-ons.

Barring any possible transfer, Young will probably be assured immediate playing time at Oregon, where he won't be battling it out with other 5-stars or even high 4-star recruits, at his position.  His combination of the three S's, Speed, Size, and Skill plus Vision, will be undeniable and will most likely eclipse other Ducks with more game experience.  

He already stands 5'11 at 200 lbs.  With his frame, he should be able to pack on another 10 to 15 lbs and maybe even grow another inch or two. He will be a back of both speed and power.

Duck fans should be stoked at the prospects of landing this big fish and stealing him away from SEC and Floridian anglers, from no less, MariØ's backyard.

Edited by DuckIt

A Bama fan started another thread earlier today, "What does the Justice Haynes commitment mean..."  More importantly, they wanted to know how it impacts Richard Young's recruitment.

I may be in the minority here, but my attitude about Young is..."it's good-or-good."  If he comes--fantastic.  But if he does not...I feel really good about the running back room for this next year at minimum.  Now an extra scholarship for a defensive or offensive lineman might be needed more?

Josh Conerly Jr._CBS Sports HQ Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I remember hearing that u usually only bring in 1 RB per class. Last yr was an anomaly by getting both McGee and Cardwell.

With McGee becoming a WR this yr, it would be a real coup if we were able to bring in Dowdell (Thunder) and Young (Lightning) to pair with the best QB in the nation. 

That's roster spots that are well worth it. That puts us with the best of the best.

• Let’s hope! 1

Dowdell looks like solid back with some size, which the Ducks have been lacking. 

The fact that Coach Locklyn's RBs have been getting drafted from teams like Western Kentucky, says a lot about his eye for talent and developing it. 

But wouldn't it be nice to have an elite back?   We could have really used him on short and goal against Auburn in the Natty.

All top teams have an elite back.  It's a necessity to compete with the SEC and run the ball against their Big Uglies.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Thumbs Up 1

If Alabama is as "stacked" at the RB position as you claim, why did they feel the need to sign Jahmar Gibbs from the transfer portal? A team stacked at a position has no need to use the portal to obtain a player.. 

Edited by GoDAWGS

Dowdell is recruiting him to come to Oregon. Yeah, I can imagine it!

On 7/20/2022 at 3:00 PM, GoDAWGS said:

If Alabama is as "stacked" at the RB position as you claim, why did they feel the need to sign Jahmar Gibbs from the transfer portal? A team stacked at a position has no need to use the portal to obtain a player.. 

Probably to prevent competing programs from having him.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/20/2022 at 7:00 PM, kirklandduck said:

Probably to prevent competing programs from having him.

That's the only reasonable answer I can come up with also.. Or Alabama doesn't have the depth at RB it has every season. If it's simply the hoarding of talent, I'd be lying, if I said i'd be suprised if that's the true reason. 

Edited by GoDAWGS