1Funduck

Opinion: Pac-12 Will Still End Up in Big 12

Hmmm, the smart folks are saying the Big 12 doesn’t improve the TV numbers for the PAC-12. But never say never. 

More click bait.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/21/2022 at 8:22 AM, OST8 said:

This might also be clickbait as I'm not sure how legit this outlet is but fwiw....

Colorado/Utah/Arizona/Arizona State Applying for XII

Looks like they are hedging their bet.

On 7/21/2022 at 10:40 AM, McDuck said:

Looks like they are hedging their bet.

That would make some sense.  I wouldn't have shared but they have over 125K followers so...can't be an out of nowhere media outlet.  That was a big claim if they had next to nothing to go on!  Might bite them in the backside!

Just to be clear your link was very interesting.  Appears Sideline Sports has been around a while and has some legitimacy.  You are correct that it is an extremely bold claim with a very tight deadline.  

It totally could be a strategic move to make gains within the PAC.  If that's the case, I feel like that's a bad move for those programs.  You don't want to start dirtying up the waters if your intention is to stay with the PAC.

There is a real growing reality forming right now. The absurd seems to keep coming to mind. The four corners go to the Big12/16, with Oregon and Washington finding a home with the ACC or the B1G. B1G makes more sense long term if they will have us. But, the ACC would jump at the remaining pile of the PAC and pick at our carcass.

It would be monetarily beneficial for Oregon and Washington to move conferences, but, I would hate it. Another option is that UO and UW go to the Big12 as well and the rest of the schools get left on the trash heap.

Again, I don't like it. But, if these schools are chasing money then we have to put our love for the game on the shelf and look at this through the lense of $$. The ACC would/could project even more money. However, that media contract is an albatross. 

So, here's my, maybe not so, absurd idea. Take the Big12 and the PAC and make a Super Conference. Call it the BIG PAC. Play 6 games within segment of conference with 2 crossovers. This leaves around 3 games for OOC games. 1 headliner per year and two cup cakes. This is harder than the SEC who likes to have 4 cupcakes and all at home each year. 

There are many storied conferences that have drifted into obscurity and then faded completely away. I'm getting the feeling the PAC is on the verge of oblivian. Make no mistake, we are going to have to settle. The PAC is Not in a position of strength in any way shape or form. Maybe, this is a way to save it. The alternative is picking at 2 carcasses to make a solid Super Conference. 

Either way, all of this is hard to swallow for this CFB fan.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/21/2022 at 1:13 PM, 1Funduck said:

There is a real growing reality forming right now. The absurd seems to keep coming to mind. The four corners go to the Big12/16, with Oregon and Washington finding a home with the ACC or the B1G. B1G makes more sense long term if they will have us. But, the ACC would jump at the remaining pile of the PAC and pick at our carcass.

It would be monetarily beneficial for Oregon and Washington to move conferences, but, I would hate it. Another option is that UO and UW go to the Big12 as well and the rest of the schools get left on the trash heap.

Again, I don't like it. But, if these schools are chasing money then we have to put our love for the game on the shelf and look at this through the lense of $$. The ACC would/could project even more money. However, that media contract is an albatross. 

So, here's my, maybe not so, absurd idea. Take the Big12 and the PAC and make a Super Conference. Call it the BIG PAC. Play 6 games within segment of conference with 2 crossovers. This leaves around 3 games for OOC games. 1 headliner per year and two cup cakes. This is harder than the SEC who likes to have 4 cupcakes and all at home each year. 

There are many storied conferences that have drifted into obscurity and then faded completely away. I'm getting the feeling the PAC is on the verge of oblivian. Make no mistake, we are going to have to settle. The PAC is Not in a position of strength in any way shape or form. Maybe, this is a way to save it. The alternative is picking at 2 carcasses to make a solid Super Conference. 

Either way, all of this is hard to swallow for this CFB fan.

I agree...it all sucks.  I want to go back to the original Big12 days.  That was all ruined by the University of Texas and we likely will never go back.

The only issue with a jump to the ACC is if they did accept Oregon and Washington (which I think they would do in general) they would have to remake the contract and as a result their GOR.  In that case other schools would be open to negotiating which would mean that created a window for the BIG and the SEC to make their moves on the ACC.  So you'd end up with a different conference than you started with.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, OST8 said:

In that case other schools would be open to negotiating which would mean that created a window for the BIG and the SEC to make their moves on the ACC.

I think you're 100% on point with this. The question on the table would be "is acquiring Oregon and Washington worth potentially losing Clemson, UNC, Florida State and Miami" and we all know the answer to that is a resounding "NO".  You would have to have, in writing this time, a contract stating that with the GOR being renegotiated that all teams would stay in the ACC or have to pay egregious amounts of money to leave. We know the B1G doesn't honor their word and I'd have to believe the SEC would be willing to move heaven and earth to acquire Clemson and one of the other teams.

No, at this point I'd like to stay in the PAC12 by adding SDSU and UNLV. Then try and get a new media contract with Amazon or Apple etc that distributes funding on a weighted scale based on athletic performance. Say something like Football accounts for 65%, Basketball is 25% and Baseball is 10%.  That should push schools into prioritizing revenue sports and perhaps lift the performance of the conference as a whole. 

Colleges may be teaching parity in the classroom, but what I've seen them DO directly contradicts that. It's time to get real...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, Wrathis said:

I think you're 100% on point with this. The question on the table would be "is acquiring Oregon and Washington worth potentially losing Clemson, UNC, Florida State and Miami" and we all know the answer to that is a resounding "NO".  You would have to have, in writing this time, a contract stating that with the GOR being renegotiated that all teams would stay in the ACC or have to pay egregious amounts of money to leave. We know the B1G doesn't honor their word and I'd have to believe the SEC would be willing to move heaven and earth to acquire Clemson and one of the other teams.

No, at this point I'd like to stay in the PAC12 by adding SDSU and UNLV. Then try and get a new media contract with Amazon or Apple etc that distributes funding on a weighted scale based on athletic performance. Say something like Football accounts for 65%, Basketball is 25% and Baseball is 10%.  That should push schools into prioritizing revenue sports and perhaps lift the performance of the conference as a whole. 

Colleges may be teaching parity in the classroom, but what I've seen them DO directly contradicts that. It's time to get real...

I think adding those two programs could be good.  Especially SDSU because of the momentum they have going both competitively and infrastructurally.  UNLV has a lot of work to do to even remotely look the part of the P5 program, but there's no denying the attractiveness of the LV market.  Both of those programs could, over time, definitely be solid additions to the PAC financially.   

However, I maintain that the strongest possible future would be some combination of the XII and the PAC.  Even if that means we have to drop some of our incoming schools (as optimistic as I am about their futures) to be in the same conference with Oregon, Washington, the Arizona schools, and possibly Colorado and Utah (I'd list Stanford and Cal but I don't think they'd consider it).  I just think that would provide the most stability, revenue, and respect at the national level.

Edit: And then, from that position of stability, we could really do work to entice ACC members when the time comes that they become available.

Edited by OST8

On 7/22/2022 at 2:02 PM, OST8 said:

However, I maintain that the strongest possible future would be some combination of the XII and the PAC.

I don't disagree with this at all. Speaking in terms as an Oregon fan, I'd LOVE to have a bigger recruiting footprint in Texas while keeping Arizona, California and Nevada. The reason I'm discounting it though is b/c it doesn't look like the B12 is interested in a merger with the PAC(10). 

As I've said before, personally I'd love it b/c as a resident of Texas, that would make seeing Oregon play MUCH easier and cheaper. However, it appears that the B12 is more interested in keeping what they have and adding the 4-corner schools than they are with merging with the PAC...

On 7/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, Wrathis said:

I don't disagree with this at all. Speaking in terms as an Oregon fan, I'd LOVE to have a bigger recruiting footprint in Texas while keeping Arizona, California and Nevada. The reason I'm discounting it though is b/c it doesn't look like the B12 is interested in a merger with the PAC(10). 

As I've said before, personally I'd love it b/c as a resident of Texas, that would make seeing Oregon play MUCH easier and cheaper. However, it appears that the B12 is more interested in keeping what they have and adding the 4-corner schools than they are with merging with the PAC...

I think the issues are probably two schools from the PAC that don't want it (Standford/Cal) and there are two schools from the PAC that the XII doesn't want (OSU/WSU).  I don't know that for certain but that's my guess as to why things stalled.

I get not wanting to leave any member behind.  Honestly it makes me respect the remaining members of the PAC all the more.  I wouldn't want to leave Iowa St or WVU behind either.

If it were up to me I'd merge with the PAC.  Are some of the schools less than desirable when it comes to TV dollars?  Sure.  But I feel like the stability and overall gain makes it worth it.

Now...what to do with Standford and Cal not wanting to mix with the "Jones'"?  I have no idea. 

There is so much BS right now on this subject. In 2 years we may have a complete different outcome than what is RUMORED today or tomorrow. Oregon is one of the top 15 money generating college football brands in the nation -maybe even bigger. I think Oregon will come out pretty good. 

• Thumbs Up 1