HawaiiDuck

Gov. Gavin Newsom: UCLA 'Must Clearly Explain to Public' Why Move to Big Ten is Beneficial

Newsom wants UCLA to explain how its Pac-12 exit will benefit all student-athletes and honor its partnership with UC Berkeley, which now braces for a big financial hit.

• Thanks 1

They should just tweet “$$$$$”

• Thumbs Up 1

Sure glad there are no politics in sports. 🤪

On 7/21/2022 at 3:08 PM, Just Ducky said:

Sure glad there are no politics in sports. 🤪

When public money is involved, and when the governor is the head of the board of regents, it's kind of hard to keep the two entirely separate.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/21/2022 at 3:26 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

When public money is involved, and when the governor is the head of the board of regents, it's kind of hard to keep the two entirely separate.

Not that this gives anyone (including me) leave to start referencing politics on the board!

I will admit, that I don’t want to even see the word “politics” in this forum. Nothing good comes of it…

But I also acknowledge that it is pretty hard to avoid with ongoing headlines between Covid in the past, and now the California Board of Regents, etc.

It just comes down to if somebody writes something that could generate a political discussion, or if someone is writing something that is a clearly political statement—we disallow it.

Splitting hairs is a hassle.

And to think when I began the two sites nearly 11 years ago, we had no rules. As I said then, “why should we… aren’t we all adults?”

😆

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/21/2022 at 9:31 AM, Charles Fischer said:

As I said then, “why should we… aren’t we all adults?”

Well, generally speaking, yes............................However, sometimes I think I am two years old! 🤪

• Haha 2

Well, uclasuc is part of the California Education System. It is an umbrella they cannot escape. No matter where they play ball.

The line is drawn in the sand now. It will certainly benefit uclasuc athletic departments bottom line. Or it should.

But will it benefit the academic/educational side? More important how will Cal be affected?

That is the $64 million question?

Edited by Smith72
Delete "political" reference.
  • Great post! 1

USuC is a private school(also Stanford) and not under the umbrella/control of the California Board of Regents. UCLA and Cal are both constrained by being part of California Education System.

“Clearly explain” is political code for write the check. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Maybe Cal will receive a sympathy check from UCLA every year?

On 7/21/2022 at 9:31 AM, Charles Fischer said:

“why should we… aren’t we all adults?”

I have the body of an adult...… Unfortunately, in my heart I'm still an unrestrained child!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/21/2022 at 10:17 AM, DUCati855 said:

I have the body of an adult...… Unfortunately, in my heart I'm still an unrestrained child!

My body is 64 and my mind is 18-- oh well

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/21/2022 at 11:43 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Well, uclasuc is part of the California Education System. It is an umbrella they cannot escape. No matter where they play ball.

The line is drawn in the sand now. It will certainly benefit uclasuc athletic departments bottom line. Or it should.

But will it benefit the academic/educational side? More important how will Cal be affected?

That is the $64 million question?

This is about UCLA only.  USC is a private institution.  This is why I have been saying that if the UC Board of Regents, (the governor is on that board) decides that UCLA is tethered to Cal, then Stanford, private like USC, would likely then be invited to the Big 10. 

This may ultimately be the question with Oregon/Oregon State, and Washington/Washington State. 

TexasDuck you are spot on. They are tethered together. The battle will be over the freedom or lack of that the bruin athletic department has.

It would benefit the PAC if uclasuc stayed and stanford got the invite. That way the PAC has a foot in the door of the socal and bay area tv markets.

If the BIG wanted to eliminate the PAC completely then they could take all 4 Caifornia schools. And control 2  large tv markets.

If Stanford, Cal and uclasuc stay in PAC then invite SDSU to replace the trojan lackeys and lets play ball 

Go Ducks......great responses, thoughts and ideas on this thread. Well done OBDF members 

• Thumbs Up 2

Why does anyone think Furd would want to leave P12?  I have read they don’t need the cash, don’t seem that focused on sports and might actually care about the well being of their athletes as well as the fate of the PAC .

• Applause 2

News alert: UCLA responds to Gov Newsom’s request by having Bill Walton hold a press conference at which he promises to, “share the wealth” with all Caly student-athletes and the UC Berkeley student body by giving free bong hits and skateboards to all.

As a parting gesture aimed at those who fail to grasp the nature and generosity of this offering, Bill offered up the last two lines from the final verse of ‘California Soul’ as way of explanation:

So just gimme, yeah, just gimme yeah

Oh, it’s all a trend

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

My understanding is that the Board of Regents can't force UCLA to stay in the Pac-12 because a 1991 UC Office of the President policy delegated authority to the individual UC campus chancellors to negotiate their own agreements, including intercollegiate agreements.  See DA1058. https://policy.ucop.edu/_files/da/da1058.html 

"Delegation of Authority--Execution of Agreements

The authority granted to the President under Section 100.4(dd) of the Standing Orders of The Regents is delegated to you, within your areas of jurisdiction, as it pertains to the execution of the various service agreements required with outside organizations, agencies, and individuals to implement approved programs and activities[.]"

. . .

"This delegation to negotiate and execute service agreements includes, but is not limited to, the following types of agreements:. . . .

• Intercollegiate athletic agreements (except coaching contracts)."

Seems like the Board of Regents may try and require UCLA to pay an exit fee or to subsidize the Cal Athletic Dept.  I'm not clear if the Board has the authority to require that, though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 2

On 7/21/2022 at 10:08 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Maybe Cal will receive a sympathy check from UCLA every year?

Go Bears!

• Thumbs Up 1