Pac10again

Why I Think 2022 Will Bring Back 'Good Ol' Days'

Positives:

Bo Nix played numerous games against SEC defenses!

Oregon has best defense in conference.  = more offensive opportunities. 

Most talented receivers ever to step foot in Eugene.

Pac 12 defensive backs are small and slow as a whole.  (Nix played numerous games in SEC against future NFL defensive backs week after week)

Oregon has very solid O line.

Oregon receivers find out at Georgia what it takes to make it.  They will be better for the experience. 

* Great conference schedule

Possible Negatives:

Ridiculous preseason that includes Georgia and BYU.  Easily the best two teams we face all season before the Pac-12 championship game.

Georgia will hit us just like they are playing Bama!   Bank it.  This game is just that big for them.  PRAYING FOR NO INJURIES

Running game let down?  Travis Dye was much more important than many think.

Question marks?

Lanning:  He has never head coached a game in his life.  Having half your defense be selected in first three rounds of the NFL draft can make you look like a genius.  He may be, but its unproven.  Great recruiter though!  But we've been there before.  I believe Lanning is a huge improvement but...

Bo Nix is his own worst enemy.  He's the reason we can make playoffs---or not even make it to Pac-12 championship game. (unforced errors)

My prediction: 

Bo Nix and his receivers put up ridiculous numbers, keeping the run game afloat.

Defense (barring injuries) tops the conference and finishes in top 15 nationally

Oregon plays in Pac-12 championship with only 1 loss, 1 lucky win, and 1 nail biter win over a crappy team on the road.

Oregon vs. Utah?  Oregon wins by 3.    Oregon will be a much better team this year, Utah not as good.  Should make for a great game.  This is where the experience of playing Georgia will help.

Can a 1 loss Oregon team make playoffs if Utah also loses to Florida?  Maybe, but I doubt it.

Can Oregon make playoffs If Oregon's 1 loss is ugly, and to a team that may be in playoffs again?  NO.

Utah has to beat Florida.  Oregon has to give Georgia a game to remember.  A hard-fought loss won't kill the Ducks but a beatdown will. 

Oregon in playoffs?  25% chance

Oregon wins Pac-12 and goes to major bowl. 60%

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/21/2022 at 11:02 AM, Pac10again said:

Running game let down?  Travis Dye was much more important than many think.

The Dye brothers have been the heart and soul of the program for around six years, even as a freshman in that aweful 2016 season Troy Dye was making plays and becoming a leader.

Then I think the two big defining Dye games were the last two against Washington, both at Washington. Where Troy played through a broken thumb and Travis willed the Ducks to victory. 

It will be a loss.

However, I do feel the coaches have brought in some nice prices at runningback and a better scheme will help our run game. Probably have a bit of a leadership void in the runningback room right now but whoever emerges as the top back(s) I'm sure will take hold of the leadership element. We have some fantastic sophomores. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/21/2022 at 12:53 PM, David Marsh said:

The Dye brothers have been the heart and soul of the program for around six years, even as a freshman in that aweful 2016 season Troy Dye was making plays and becoming a leader.

Then I think the two big defining Dye games were the last two against Washington, both at Washington. Where Troy played through a broken thumb and Travis willed the Ducks to victory. 

It will be a loss.

However, I do feel the coaches have brought in some nice prices at runningback and a better scheme will help our run game. Probably have a bit of a leadership void in the runningback room right now but whoever emerges as the top back(s) I'm sure will take hold of the leadership element. We have some fantastic sophomores. 

You bring up, what I think will be, the biggest questions of the season, who will be the leader on the field? With Troy Dye and Herbert you knew the team was going to bring it. Who this season can bring back the great onfield leadership we have had in the past?

Every team needs on field leadership, but with a brand new coach it will be all the more critical. I suppose that is why they brought in Nix, and he had better provide it on offense. On defense it will be interesting to see if they all get on board with the amount of care, and emotion Noah puts out there each week?

And if healthy, it may be Flowe>Noah

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/21/2022 at 1:50 PM, Haywarduck said:

You bring up, what I think will be, the biggest questions of the season, who will be the leader on the field? With Troy Dye and Herbert you knew the team was going to bring it. Who this season can bring back the great onfield leadership we have had in the past?

Every team needs on field leadership, but with a brand new coach it will be all the more critical. I suppose that is why they brought in Nix, and he had better provide it on offense. On defense it will be interesting to see if they all get on board with the amount of care, and emotion Noah puts out there each week?

I think Nix is going to be the leader. Lots of big time game experience and has total confidence in himself.

He may be a hit or miss QB but his desire to win will spill over to the rest of the team.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/21/2022 at 1:50 PM, Haywarduck said:

On-field and off-field leadership is absolutely crucial.  What give me confidence that strong leadership will emerge? Coach Love's comment about turning ownership of the team over to the players.

Easy to underestimate that change of culture from the Micrø manager we had last year. Looking forward to how this plays out as 22 season progresses. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I have not looked forward to a season like this upcoming one for a long time. The team was boring to watch and I spent my hard earned dollars to sit on the fifty in Vegas. The team that showed up had a coach with one foot out the door.

In the big picture I just have a good feeling that this coaching staff is connecting with the players and knows how to maximize the deep talent this team possesses. 

I see Bo Nix having an excellent year behind one of the best OL's in the country. Talent all over the field and the opposing defenses on their heels. Going to be fun to watch. Our defense is going to be the best in the P12 so it all adds up to a great year.

Get to go to the EWU opener and BYU the following Saturday with golf wedged in the middle. Always great weather that time of year and hard to beat Autzen. Will also be going with a friend that played QB at EWU so hopefully will get a big win there. If we somehow lose that one will never hear the end of it.

Dream includes crushing USC in the P12 Championship game!

Edited by LADuck
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/21/2022 at 2:07 PM, AllOregon said:

And if healthy, it may be Flowe>Noah

Leadership has to come from Sewell this year. Not saying he hasn't led but he is the defacto vet on the defense and he always leads by example. 

Don't forget D Williams and B Dorlis on defense and on offense the OL, S Dollars and C Cota. Every level has at least one 4 yr player. These are my picks.