lownslowav8r

Rules Changes For This Season

11202156.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

THE RULES CHANGES for college football this season include a substantial change to blocking below the waist. Tight ends, added to WSU’s offense this season for the

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds as if there will be a lot of penalties called until players get used to the rule changes. These changes might make the game safer, but every penalty called also makes the game longer.

On 7/21/2022 at 11:45 AM, Annie said:

Sounds as if there will be a lot of penalties called until players get used to the rule changes. These changes might make the game safer, but every penalty called also makes the game longer.

It's not just the players that have to get used to the new rules but the coaches and officials as well.  CFB doesn't have salaried officials instead opting to pay a referee fee to what amounts to "super-fans" that just love the game so much they officiate for very little compensation.

Looking at ways the PAC can help improve the game might include hiring a full time cadre of officials like the NFL.  Full time means they are honing the craft in the off season and available to officiate spring games and fall scrimmages. 

When you think about it everyone wins with peerless officiating.  That full time cadre could also be charged with reviewing in game injuries and providing reports to the conference on how to make the game safer for the athletes.  

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm happy to see the low blocks going away. Those can be dangerous. 

I am also tired of seeing a shirt yardage play from an offense that has most of their offensive line just torpedo the defense by diving forward with low blocks helmet first. 

That never struck me as fair and always came with a high chance of injury. 

It's also one of those things I never felt added anything to the game. 

• Thumbs Up 1