Ruh-Roh: Tennessee in NCAA Trouble!

Who saw this one coming?  🤔

• Yikes! 2
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Ole Rocky Top is very Rocky these days. 

Love this part of the article:

Niedermeyer and Gunn arranged or provided $2,463 to a recruit and his family from January to December 2019, including cash, hotel stays, entertainment, transportation and team apparel. 

Niedermeyer also paid the recruit $750 cash at his high school, provided more gifts during an unofficial visit and accompanied the recruit and his family on a flight to Knoxville for an official visit. The recruit did not enroll at Tennessee.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/22/2022 at 12:29 PM, jrw said:

Love this part of the article:

Niedermeyer and Gunn arranged or provided $2,463 to a recruit and his family from January to December 2019, including cash, hotel stays, entertainment, transportation and team apparel. 

Niedermeyer also paid the recruit $750 cash at his high school, provided more gifts during an unofficial visit and accompanied the recruit and his family on a flight to Knoxville for an official visit. The recruit did not enroll at Tennessee.

Sounds like how a "Nico" deal will go...

Mr. FishDuck

Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

• Thumbs Up 2

Big deal, 18 years from now when the NCAA finishes their investigation all of their remaining teeth will have fallen out.

• Haha 1

I mean... We all saw this coming years ago. So good of the NCAA to finally get around to it. 

• Haha 1

Remember this was the Pruitt regime that ended 2 yrs ago if I remember correctly.

So they basically are guilty of doing in 2018 what is now above board and legal in 2022?

This is like busting someone in Oregon today for buying weed in the Bean Complex Fall Term of 1983.

• Wow 1

The NCAA is still going after the fan base or schools trying to influence a HS recruit to go to a particular school.

The NIL is different issue from what I understand.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:02 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

So they basically are guilty of doing in 2018 what is now above board and legal in 2022?

Sort of... Schools still cannot pay players. 

What is allowed now, opposed to 2018, is other people, organizations, or companies can pay players for use of their NIL. 

Schools still cannot directly pay players which is why such ideas like schools creating an "NIL fund" for players is not allowed. 

I saw someone throw out an idea of charging five dollars additional per ticket per game to go into an NIL fund. This would be blantabtly illegal as the school would collect the money and then pay players with it. 

However, if there is a guy with a bucket not affiliated with the school who collects money for NIL and that money is used to pay players that is a different story. 

What Tennessee did was have those affiliated with the school paying recruits money. Which is still a no-no but who knows for how much longer. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

image.png.e2dbea074bc54055fad4015ec4e6f1c2.png

College Football is giving me a headache. 

• Whew! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2