Charles Fischer

Poll: Would YOU Want Oregon to Join the Big-12 Alone?

Would You Want Oregon to Join the Big-12 Alone if it Was Enough Revenue?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Want Oregon to Join the Big-12 Alone if it Was Enough Revenue?

• If it increases our revenues, and allows Oregon to remain relevant--I will hold my nose.
    • Hell no, I want to remain the Pac-10.
    • I want to delay to see if there are opportunities later with the B1G after all.
    • I hate all the options.

We would be stabbing the rest of the Pac in the back, but it could mean a world of difference for the Ducks over the long-term; how would you feel about that?  (We may have to start thinking selfishly for our own survival)

Do us all a favor and don't vote for "hate all options!"  (Let's see what most think about the others...)

Nevada@Oregon_19_kc-172 Autzen sunset.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm not sure the Big 12 is that much better an option than the PAC. 

I still think some sort of merger of the two conferences is the best option for both. 

If not the B1G Ugly conference and SEuglyC will keep poaching members from each at will.

To stop that there has to be a viable option that is competitive with the two Big Uglies. Neither the PAC or Big 12 has much of a chance of doing that alone at this point. 

For me it was a toss up between join the B10 and I hate all the options.

I'm a wait and see guy....

Can Newsome stop UCLA?

1)  If so, then can we replace them in the BIG whatever? 

2)  If so, doesn't GK pull a miracle and bring back usc?

What will the new media rights pay if we stay in the PAC?

How soon will the NCAA implode (entirely) and a big boy division create with the power 5 and independent big boys?

In two years when they leave, what will the CFB landscape look like?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/22/2022 at 1:10 PM, Steven A said:

2)  If so, doesn't GK pull a miracle and bring back usc?

If we get UCLA back then the PAC is in a way better place even with the loss of USC. 

At that point USC is replaced with someone else but thise options aren't going to be as good overall. 

Colorado is saying Oregon and UW are asking a bigger share of the revenue. They think that stinks and probably does. Arizona, ASU, Utah and Colorado have reached out to B12. Is it a way to tell the Ducks and butt sniffers no way to the idea. 

The Big 12 is a part of the country where football is a more fanatical part of the everyday culture, like SEC country, where as the west coast just isn't.  The Texas markets are big for TV revenue obviously.  The B12 has been stung by UT and OK bailing to the SEC, as well as TA&M.  Could the revenue and rabid-fandom be a better fit?  The B12 has some really good Baseball, Softball, Track, Basketball etc. too. 

If USuCk and sUCkLA bail with the LA market, is the remaining Pac financially relevant?  We can still beat the beeevers annually in a non-conference game.  CO and UT bring good size markets, plus AZ/ASU.

Could the B1G, SEC, and B12 be the 3 super conferences?  FSU and Clemson end up in the SEC?  Basketball won't matter, 50,000 conferences get at least one in the the dance anyhow.  Duke and UNC will survive on basketball and Lacrosse.

• Go Ducks! 1

Im sure the threats will fly for awhile but when it comes down to the facts-Things will be different. 

1.--Arizona schools are in  a mostly retirement state---40% of the population with 4 major league teams and 2 Universities

2. Colorado has 4 major league teams already in a relatively small population and 3 major Universities

3. Utah has a small population and 3 major Universities and 1 major league team

4. Market SHARE is where its at and the Washington and Oregon schools compare very favorably.

• Great post! 2

On 7/22/2022 at 1:18 PM, David Marsh said:

At that point USC is replaced with someone else but thise options aren't going to be as good overall.

1) Meant to say "does", not "doesn't".

2) If we keep UCLA and lose usc, then add San Diego State, adding their TV audiance and keep LA's.  Win, win from a bad situation.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/22/2022 at 2:06 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

mostly retirement

Seriously, nothing wrong there!!!

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:07 PM, Steven A said:

Seriously, nothing wrong there!!!

nothing wrong except how much allegiance do they have with the Zona schools?--I lived in Virginia for 5 years and was still a Duck fan -no VT or Cav flags on my car!!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:10 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

except

I was just commenting on my "retirement peeps"

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/22/2022 at 3:14 PM, Steven A said:

I was just commenting on my "retirement peeps"

Hey I am 1 year away

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/22/2022 at 12:40 PM, Charles Fischer said:

We would be stabbing the rest of the Pac in the back, but it could mean a world of difference for the Ducks over the long-term

A couple days before USC and UCLA dropped the bomb I posted that "Oregon needs to look out for Oregon."

I still feel this way. Unfortunately, Mullens and Schill were a little to late to the party. Their job got a lot harder by procrastinating.

Charles, revenues Indeed will mean relevance. So i will hold my nose, no matter where we land.

2 points that keep popping in my head.

1. Duck 1972  mentioned that Colorado and others are upset that Oregon and the useless butt sniffers want a bigger slice of the revenue pie. IMHO they should get a bigger slice. Keep this in mind that only Oregon went to tOSU, beat the juggernaut for a bigger pay day. Now  the Ducks play Georgia for a $5.65 million dollar payday. And they have to revenue share with the other schools. Schools who for the most part have not nor will not invest in their programs. Besides USC who would get an invite or schedule that big a game with that big of risk. Plus who would risk booking that big og match up.

2. As the lack of interest in Oregon, by other conferences, begins to unfold, i ask myself:

A. Do we have an overblown

Image of ourselves beyond

what it really is.

B. Or do other conferences not

want to invite the Oregon

sports powerhouse into their

conference. We would be an

Instant contender. Yes its

market share but uscuc really

is not much of a threat to

Iowa or Wisconsin or tOSU.But

Oregon is.

Chicken ...ts. ........ 

Lets play some ball. Winning and scoreboard is the key. Teams schedule Oregon for a bigtime game and payout. Those same teams schedule uscuc and uclasuc for victories.

GO DUCKS...     

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My "Big" Prediction: Where ever Oregon goes or stays....we will have to spend as much on football as the others in the bigger conferences, thus from a revenue pie that is smaller--we will have to cut sports to stay competitive in football.

As I've written before...we would go from 19 sports to seven; Football, M&W Basketball and M&W Track. (And M&W XC)

But we could do well in football, as whether it is Gonzaga in the little WCC, or Clemson rising from their ashes to become an elite program that recruits well, is in Playoffs and wins 'Nattys.  Both those programs achieved that in weak conferences and so could we.

But I would lose my Beloved Baseball, ⚾ as well as Volleyball, Beach Volleyball, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, 🥎 M&W Golf and Tennis and Acrobatics and Tumbling.

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I have slight sun fatigue from playing golf at Laurelwood twice today, and glossed over the language in the poll. My brain read "Oregon should join the BIG-10" and I voted for the first option. I immediately realized my error. I would have voted for the third option- to wait for an invite to the B1G. If I had voted for option 3 it would be in the lead (as of the time of this writing). 

The irony is that option #1 is my very last choice. I'd rather Oregon be independent and get modest to meager TV payouts for their games than join the BIGXII. B1G > PAC 10 > PAC 6 > Independent > ACC > BIGX11

• Thumbs Up 1

Charles, the fallout from 4 schools moving from their traditional conferences is just beginning.

However their are hundreds of alumni from every PAC schools who could join together (CoOp) and sponsor one or more non revenue sporys in each school. They could have in house  advertising and be named at each game. (Muliple times a game.) Just an example. Free ads on PAC network.

The PAC network can be saved with a network partner. Or be the foundation for a streaming partner.

Fix the distribution problems. Grow some ... s and take stock in what we have. Hell why not use the Network to broadcast MAC, AAC games etc. Add content and sell. GEEZ.

I may not know academics but 44 years of business has taught me that anything is possible.

Its a whole new world out there with emerging markets. When Ceasar was stabbed in the back by Brutus, well he died. Is the PAC and PAC Network, Ceasar?

Or is the PAC, 10 vibrant, yet diverse universities, with vision and forward thinking.  Phil and Penny shouldnt be the only business leaders involved in this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like a chance to show tOSU that "last season wasn't just luck", to kick USC in the b***'*, to show "Chip how much we love him", and yet

still have a chance to "Smash them Beav's". Get me that and I'm all good. WAIT A MINUTE SANTA, I forgot David Shaw !

• Thumbs Up 2

No matter what happens this year or next, does anyone think that will be the end?

When do athletes demand a share of revenues, as is already happening in the B10?

When do conferences start weeding out "weaker sisters" like Rutgers or Ol' Miss?

When do schools start chopping non-revenue-producing sports?

When do less elite programs like UNLV or Washington State drop football entirely, or drop down to DII?

What other schools will make a big announcement in a year or two, because someone lures them in?  Could Baylor join the SEC?  Could Florida State?  Could Clemson figure a way to join the B10?

USC and UCLA jumping ship was unthinkable, just like UT and Oklahoma going to the SEC.  What else will happen that we are not even considering today - Congress getting involved?  Stanford just dropping sports?  Notre Dame forming a new conference with Oregon, Washington, Clemson, Miami, Oklahoma State, etc.?  Alabama leaving the SEC for the B10 after getting a huge payday?

Nothing will surprise me anymore.

• Applause 1

On 7/22/2022 at 8:33 PM, 2002duck said:

The irony is that option #1 is my very last choice. I'd rather Oregon be independent and get modest to meager TV payouts for their games than join the BIGXII. B1G > PAC 10 > PAC 6 > Independent > ACC > BIGX11

This is perfectly stated with one amendment...I would add SEC between B1G and PAC.  I think with DL and his connections there in SEC country coupled with Oregon's national brand, I think he could really make end-roads recruiting.  Players from that region would have an option to play against the best competition every year but not be practicing in the extreme heat and humidity every day.  If Oregon is competitive in the conference, which I believe they would immediately be, they would have a legit shot to reach the CFP every year without having to run the table. 

• Oh no! 1

On 7/23/2022 at 11:34 AM, DCDuckfan said:

I would add SEC between B1G and PAC.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I could see it happen in 8 years or so if we don't go to the B1G or make some sort of alignment with Atlantic Coast teams. You'd have to bring in UW at the very least. You couldn't have Oregon out on an island in the SEC. I bet it would get a bunch of resistance from Alabama and Auburn, though, because they'd proably get pushed to the SEC East if the SEC kept adding teams out West.