FamilyofDucks

Beavers to the Big Sky? Is This True?

On 7/23/2022 at 12:48 PM, FamilyofDucks said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says '"" With all the uncertainty in college football today, we needed to find a conference that we can actually compete in, and the Big Sky in FCS is the right fit for us. Head Coach Jonathan Smith B-R'

Has to be a Hoax

• Thumbs Up 2

Im pretty sure the Beavs could beat Montana St. unlike another team we know.

Edited by 1Ducker1

On 7/23/2022 at 12:55 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Has to be a Hoax

Absolutely has to be a hoax.

On 7/23/2022 at 1:44 PM, McDuck said:

Absolutely has to be a hoax.

Now perhaps....

Mr. FishDuck

Even a diminished pac-12 is better than the mountain west, let alone the big sky. 

And as for competing... The beavers are on a very good trajectory. 

I would think this is a hoax. 

So much info or miss info flying around its difficult to separate fact, fiction and BS. Maybe when all is lost the Beavers look elsewhere. At this moment and thru August 4th the PAC is negotiating exclusive with at least ESPN. It would be a foolish and defeated comment if JS made it. Also, premature.

David Marsh IS correct that a diminshed PAC is better than the MWC or Big Sky. I might add its better than the BIG 12. Why because the PAC controls the PST zone. And with a few additions (BYU and BSU) the PAC  could control the MST zone.

The BIG 12 plays in but must compete with the BIG and ND for the CST zone. Thats tough competition.

As long as Oregon and the tail chasing butt sniffers stay together in the PAC the PAC will survive. Hopefully they are all past the everyman for themselves mentality and are working together. The PAC will or should remain a P-5 conference.  The PAC is the football and BB content for TV after dark.

Stay intact and make the most of that fact and fix the PAC networks distribution problems. Add content that should bring in additional revenue. Then allow a better form of revenue sharing. Hell all the other 9 schools should try improving the product they put on the field. More fans in the seats mean more money in the cash register.

Only the foolish will leave the PAC at this point. Of course we have seen the PAC Presidents make many a foolish sports business decision over the years.

So really this probably is a foolish post.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/23/2022 at 2:49 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

...because the PAC controls the PST zone. And with a few additions (BYU and BSU) the PAC  could control the MST zone.

The BIG 12 plays in but must compete with the BIG and ND for the CST zone. That's tough competition.

This is a really great point, and one the John Canzano has done a good job explaining--is the value of our time slot to ESPN and other networks.  This scourge of scheduling--the night games that everyone hates, maybe is what saves the Pac-12 in the end, and is our major bargaining chip.

I think Canzano's take of a package with ESPN, and a streaming service might get our revenue picture back to a survival mode.  But we will still get buried by the biggies over time... 

Mr. FishDuck

Charles the one certainty out of all this mess is that we will get buried by the biggies overtime. You are spot on. This is not just business as usual. This is 2 business entities deciding the haves and have nots. The foundation is not on solid ground.

If the lawyer sharks ever discover collusion between the 4 schools and 2 conferences the damages could be untold. In this environment you are guilty until proven innocent.

ESPN and Fox would be wise to be generous in their tv rights payments to keep Non revenue sports in tact. It is not wise to be (the buck stops here culprit) if your finger print is all over telling thousands of female collegiate student athletes that their opportunity under the sun is gone.

Just saying that the current business model has worked for decades. It just takes 1 Judge and 12 moms, dads, grandmas and grandpas on a jury to unleasch a backlash upon the networks.

Or God forbid the government gets involved.

• Whew! 1

I did a quick search of Bleacher Reports website and did not find this story/post. This does not seem to jive with coach Smith’s character .

HOAX!

Guest Axel
On 7/23/2022 at 6:25 PM, Maebee said:

I did a quick search of Bleacher Reports website and did not find this story/post. This does not seem to jive with coach Smith’s character .

HOAX!

Upon hearing the wonderful news that Oregon State is going bye-bye, I dispatched to Corvallis my trusty intern Scoop Johansson from his lovely one-room studio (with hotplate) in Bird of Paradise, New Mexico. My budget didn't allow for an airline ticket, but Scoop drives really fast. 

Scoop reports that Corvallis is in "full party mode" at the prospect of joining the Big Sky Conference. Scoop swears that he interviewed Coach Smith, who allegedly said that the Beavers "have a really decent chance" of beating Weber State this season "if we can catch the right breaks."

Also allegedly, Scoop had a "quick chat" with Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff, who said that he has "no problem with those mangy Beavers leaving" as long as OSU can be replaced "with a football power, like Lewis & Clark or Willamette."

Keep in mind that Scoop is an intern and that he has a fondness for mushrooms, and not the kind that you'd typically find at Albertsons. 

When Scoop is conscious again, I may provide a further update.

Why the Pac didn't go after BYU & BSU long ago leaves me baffled. I mean Colorado ? WHY ? (Were drugs involved?)

• Great post! 1

BSU is horrible academically and only competes in football, from a lesser league gauntlet.  They bring nowhere near the value to share a piece of the pie.  Tiny Idaho market and draw. 
No thanks.  

If add anything, add San Diego State.  It beats BSU in every category.  

On 7/25/2022 at 11:07 PM, AllOregon said:

BSU is horrible academically and only competes in football, from a lesser league gauntlet.  They bring nowhere near the value to share a piece of the pie.  Tiny Idaho market and draw. 
No thanks.  

If add anything, add San Diego State.  It beats BSU in every category.  

If we're trying to stay regional, Boise State in football and Gonzaga in basketball is a no brainier.

Add SDSU and Fresno State to tap California in depth.

My opinion of course 

On 7/25/2022 at 8:18 PM, LuckeyDuck said:

Why the Pac didn't go after BYU & BSU long ago leaves me baffled. I mean Colorado ? WHY ? (Were drugs involved?)

As others have said... Boise is not a match academicly while at the same time not a big media market. Colorado has not been good at football since they joined but they do bring a decently large market with them. 

BYU is a religious school and everything I've heard is that they have always liked to dictate certain terms about scheduling. In short they are not a team player which is something you have historically wanted in conferences. 

The Big-12 was desperate enough after Oklahoma and Texas announced their departure that they were happy to work with BYU to bring them into a conference. 

Also the Big-12 has a heavier influence of religious schools already than most conferences with TCU and Baylor. 

By contrast the PAC has only had one school with any religious affiliation in USC. 

Even with all that the PAC minus LA is still a larger media footprint than the new Big-12. 

I think San Diego is probably one of the very few options for expansion right now. 

• Thumbs Up 2