Pennsylvania Duck

Revenue Sharing Follow-Up: Paul Finebaum Reveals 1 'Biggest Issue' Facing College Football

This article is a good follow-up to the earlier Revenue Sharing post.

I don't often agree with Paul Finebaum, but I do agree with him on this.

AAZW2DK.img?h=315&w=600&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=f
WWW.MSN.COM

ESPN's Paul Finebaum is never one to underplay something he potentially sees as a problem. So on Monday he addressed what...

• Thanks 1

Not that big of a deal...it would just destroy the sport is all!

• Yikes! 2

Mr. FishDuck

If they want to go pro then lets schedule the NC winner vs the worst NFL team 2 weeks after the NCG. We will find out just how pro they are.

• Like 1

Agree. But, it helps us to better see the real playing field.

It’s a defining issue because it’s devisive. How you view it all depends on which side of the fence your on.

For fans, it would dramatically and tragically alter what we love.  But, for those playing the game - in addition to a college education -  it could turn college football into a AAA minor league system that pays the majority of players for 4 or 5 years who will never see the big show.

I seriously doubt that is what players have always secretly wanted, but it sure seems to be on their radar these days.

It would kill Olympic sports at most colleges as the revenue used to pay for them gets redirected to the football players.  Those players will have to explain to their softball, track, soccer, and volleyball girlfriends …as those girls move out.

Edited by AllOregon
Spelling

When it comes to unions, the subject has become so subject to ideology that I look at all such articles with a large grain of salt. Its interesting that Finebaum now pushes college football's problems onto the "student athletes" who are the group with the least financial and decision making power in college football. I recently read an article (sorry no link) from a expert in sport law showing a recent amicus brief using UCLA and USC's move as an example that "student athletes" are actually employees due to the new travel demands being incompatible with being a student athlete. 

I think it is inevitable that courts and law will soon treat our "student athletes" as employees, a trend caused and strengthened by those with the most power in the system (TV, the SEC conference officials, and wealthy boosters).

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/25/2022 at 11:05 AM, AllOregon said:

It would kill Olympic sports at most colleges as the revenue used to pay for them gets redirected to the football players.  Those players will have to explain to their softball, track, soccer, and volleyball girlfriends …as those girls move out.

Which, in turn, would undermine Title IX which directly threatens Financial Aid and federal funding of Universities, approximately 90% of the revenue stream of higher education.

No one has quite discussed this point yet, but it is the proverbial elephant in the room.  

How ironic it will be when the Profs start screaming their support for the revenue generating sports in one of the biggest 180's in history.

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1