Pennsylvania Duck

Micah Banuelos, 4-Star OL, Commits to USC, Citing Realignment

micah-banuelos.png
NEWS.SCOREBOOKLIVE.COM

For weeks it seemed Kennedy Catholic High School (Washington) offensive lineman Micah Banuelos was likely to choose the...

The bigger news is here is another blue chip in the Huskies’ backyard that avoided them.  Not even in his top 3. Heck, he blocked for Sam Huard in High School.

Edited by AllOregon
Add sentence
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This will be an issue in the short term.  USC and others are going to sell how the Ducks are now a Tier 2 program, etc.   Beating the snot out of SC will help 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/25/2022 at 6:45 PM, CalBear95 said:

This will be an issue in the short term.  USC and others are going to sell how the Ducks are now a Tier 2 program, etc.   Beating the snot out of SC will help 

It sure would be nice to do that but I don't see the opportunity happening with how stacked Utah is this year.  

I get why a recruit would make the decision to go to SC right now based on realignment, but it sounds like he is leaving the door open to Oregon if the Ducks end up in the B1G as well. 

If Oregon gets an invite to B1G or SEC after this season and they have the type of season my gut says they will, this cat will be a Duck.  

• Let’s hope! 1

On 7/25/2022 at 5:13 PM, DCDuckfan said:

I get why a recruit would make the decision to go to SC right now based on realignment

I don't, and disagree.

Have you ever noticed the introductions for the Super Bowl...the vast number of players coming from small colleges?  The Pac-12 will be superior to the Big-12...and how many players from the Big-12 will go to the NFL?

Nobody complained about a Clemson player going to the NFL when the ACC was incredibly weak.  This comes down to how you present it, it is salesmanship.

The bottom line is that if you are NFL caliber....they will find you.  A state of Oregon player did not mature until he was in college, and thus got no offers from Oregon or OSU.  Yet he ended up being drafted to the NFL from Western Oregon University!  And he was in the NFL for six years....so they will find you no matter where you are.

Oregon will be OREGON no matter what.  You will have great facilities, great coaching and great preparation for wherever you go in life.  The conference is not a selling point against you unless you let it be one.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/25/2022 at 8:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I don't, and disagree.

Have you ever noticed the introductions for the Super Bowl...the vast number of players coming from small colleges?  The Pac-12 will be superior to the Big-12...and how many players from the Big-12 will go to the NFL?

Nobody complained about a Clemson player going to the NFL when the ACC was incredibly weak.  This comes down to how you present it, it is salesmanship.

Oregon will be OREGON no matter what.  You will have great facilities, great coaching and great preparation for wherever you go in life.  The conference is not a selling point against you unless you let it be one.

All of that is true but there is something I think you may be undervaluing.  I agree being coached and prepared to play at the next level is a huge part of the decision, however I think for some folks, the level of competition carries significant weight in the decision as well.  They want to see how they stack up against the best and with the Pac in such a state of unknown flux right now, its hard to sell someone on that.  

Based on his statement "The Big Ten is different" it makes me think he wants to compete against top level competition and unfortunately at the moment, Oregon can't make that guarantee.

On 7/25/2022 at 3:43 PM, AllOregon said:

The bigger news is here is another blue chip in the Huskies’ backyard that avoided them.  Not even in his top 3. Heck, he blocked for Sam Huard in High School.

Huck the Fuskies 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't buy the argument that realignment is going to work as a recruiting tool. Sure, it may work right now... But again the ACC has been weak and Clemson has been successful. 

Right now everyone is freaking out about realignment. But what happens when the dust settles. 

Getting to the playoff will always ensure you're playing against the best, period. 

I think Oregon just needs to show they can make the playoff again. Next year or two would be huge. 

• Thumbs Up 2

"In terms of USC's program, Banuelos has been impressed by how quickly Lincoln Riley has turned the Trojans into a Pac-12 - and possibly national - contender."

Remind me--what is USC's record since Riley took over?

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

And this just hit me... 

He had TAMU on his list of final schools. If he wanted to go play against the best of the best right away he should have gone there. 

USC will be in the PAC for the next few season. He will spend at least one year playing in the PAC before they even make the move to the B1G. 

I'm just not buying this realignment inflicting recruiting stuff right now. I'm sure some kids are believing it but it feels like a whole of smoke and mirrors because no one knows what any of it is going to look like. 

On 7/25/2022 at 10:00 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm just not buying this realignment inflicting recruiting stuff right now.

You can bet that USC and anyone else we're competing with right now is selling this. Uncertainty breeds caution and I can promise you parents are being sold a load of pessimism about our future right now.  Stability will sell and while Oregon can wait for the best deal possible, expect that we'll lose recruits in the short term for it.  Already I saw where Jurrion Dickey was now offered by A&M and you can 100% bet they are pitching this instability to him as we speak. 

Waiting for the best media deal may be the right play for now, but it's 100% going to come with consequences...and that's just one more reason for me to hate on USC and the B1G!