NJDuck

Canzano: George Kliavkoff Will Face the Music at Pac-12 Media Day

As we all know, our conference is in 'crisis-management mode.'  'GK will need to do more than cast a strong presence.  He'll need to get candid and share his vision.'

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

He shouldn't be on stage alone, should he?

Edited by NJDuck
  • Thanks 1

Show strength but reveal nothing. Not time to tip your hand.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2022 at 10:26 AM, AllOregon said:

Show strength but reveal nothing. Not time to tip your hand.

I think he is holding 7, 2 unsuited. 

• Haha 4

If that's the case he needs to stay in the game, bluff his arse off, and just call, never raise. Who knows he might be able to pull out a full house.

If any one can do it, it's GK. His skill set is meant for this time and place.

The USC folks I talk with have the following feelings about the Pac-12, and in no particular order:

1.  Scheduling issues.  Thursday and Friday night games, when no one east of the Rockies is watching, is a detriment, especially with their desire to be a top-tier program once again.  Worse yet when these games are in Corvallis or Pullman.  

2.  Pac-12 officiating is sub-standard, and not getting any better.

3.  The conference did not have their back during the sanctions.  The Big 10 did for Ohio St., the ACC did for Miami, and the SEC does for Alabama.  The Pac-12 made no such efforts on their behalf.  This remains a bitter taste in their mouths. 

These are their strong feelings.  We can do with that what we wish.  What I never, ever hear from them is they are trying to get away from playing us.  They recognize that we are very strong, and have out-recruited them often in their own back yard.  They are looking forward to Lincoln Riley changing that.  But they're not afraid of us. 

I'm going to miss the Oregon-USC games.  I grew up with them when John McKay and then John Robinson, both Oregon guys, would return to Eugene every other year.  It's a part of our history that will be lost, unless we can somehow get into the Big 10. 

As for UCLA, I have no idea what the upside is for them, other than the money.  I don't have any UCLA buddies to ask, to be honest. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2022 at 12:21 PM, TexasDuck said:

What I never, ever hear from them is they are trying to get away from playing us.  They recognize that we are very strong, and have out-recruited them often in their own back yard.  They are looking forward to Lincoln Riley changing that.  But they're not afraid of us. 

Agree.  This is just some ridiculous narrative that was started by keyboard warrior on social media.  USC is afraid of Oregon and their solution to that problem is to let tOSU, Michigan, and Penn State into their backyard?  

They left a conference with one team (Oregon) that had a better blue chip ratio to join a conference with 4 teams that have better blue chip ratios.  And they just gave those teams direct access to their recruiting grounds.  That just screams "I'm scared". 🤣

I hate this move by USC, but understand why they did it.  It is not because they are scared of anything, except maybe getting ripped off by a conference that is not up with the times.          

I cannot disagree with any reason underpinned by the quality of PAC refs.  I know these aren’t professionals and are probably really great people but I just don’t understand how they are so consistently bad relative to any other conference. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2022 at 1:10 PM, CalBear95 said:

I cannot disagree with any reason underpinned by the quality of PAC refs.  I know these aren’t professionals and are probably really great people but I just don’t understand how they are so consistently bad relative to any other conference. 

Like the track officials that ruined the Devon Allen story, PAC-12 officials mistake themselves for the attraction. NBA refs swallow their whistles for the All-Stars because that league wants entertainment value.  

IMHO, our conference is obsessed with unobtainable pristine fairness, over entertainment value. Since perfect is the enemy of merely great, in the end, we get neither. Chalk up another utopian mission failure. Remember this the next time you watch a Pac12 basketball game and the last 4 minutes takes an hour due to "whistle-mania" and endless free throws.

At least NBA fans get the entertainment they want.  To me they go too far the other way and have turned their product into the WWE.  The SEC (surprise) seems to get the balance right.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:21 PM, TexasDuck said:

1.  Scheduling issues.  Thursday and Friday night games, when no one east of the Rockies is watching, is a detriment, especially with their desire to be a top-tier program once again.  Worse yet when these games are in Corvallis or Pullman.  

2.  Pac-12 officiating is sub-standard, and not getting any better.

3.  The conference did not have their back during the sanctions.  The Big 10 did for Ohio St., the ACC did for Miami, and the SEC does for Alabama.  The Pac-12 made no such efforts on their behalf.  This remains a bitter taste in their mouths. 

1) Agreed!

2) Agreed!!!

3) They got most of what they deserved!! They blatantly cheated. Accept the discipline and learn. Stop whining you spoiled children.

• Applause 1

USC may have deserved the punishment, but the conference is supposed to be there to support their schools.  Pac 12 didn't do that for USC, while other schools doing the same stuff had the backing of their conference.  I'm not sure which way is correct.  

On 7/26/2022 at 2:52 PM, Tandaian said:

USC may have deserved the punishment, but the conference is supposed to be there to support their schools.  Pac 12 didn't do that for USC, while other schools doing the same stuff had the backing of their conference.  I'm not sure which way is correct.  

USC is also on the west coast.... The PAC is usually the target for punishment where other conferences can get away with it. 

Tenn is finally getting investigated over their McDonald's money bags under the table and I'll be shocked if they are in trouble for any more than a hefty fine and a few scholarship reductions. 

The west coast is consistently made examples of where a good chunk of the rest of the college football world gets away with misbehavior. 

Part of that results in the west coast following the rules and falling at times behind. 

Oregon and the Willie Lyles incident resulted in what looked like a slap on the wrist but it handicapped Oregon's recruiting for the entire Helfrich era. The big thing being a reduction of official visits down to 35 from. That's nothing, especially for a school that is outside of driving distance for most top talent. There was also a scholarship reduction but that isn't as big as the official visits. 

If that penalty was put on an SEC school it would have been a minor blip if anything.