Notalot

Big Ten Commish: The Conference Could Expand Beyond USC, UCLA

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0726%2Fr1040675_
WWW.ESPN.COM

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren said Tuesday that expansion beyond the additions of UCLA and USC could be...

Edited by Notalot
  • Thanks 1

My initial thought is this guy is a SNAKE and I don't care what he says, especially now that he's shown me his word means NOTHING.  The more sympathetic side of me says he saw what ESPN did with the SEC and knew survival was paramount...something Larry Scott didn't have a clue about.  

At this point my faith isn't in the B1G, nor in ESPN...I believe GK and PK are the ONLY people that have our best interest at heart, and they're both BIG DAWGS in the room. That's where my faith is in that we'll continue to be a player in the college football world.

That's what you say when you're still trying to woo Notre Dame. 

On 7/26/2022 at 12:13 PM, Wrathis said:

My initial thought is this guy is a SNAKE and I don't care what he says, especially now that he's shown me his word means NOTHING.  The more sympathetic side of me says he saw what ESPN did with the SEC and knew survival was paramount...something Larry Scott didn't have a clue about.  

At this point my faith isn't in the B1G, nor in ESPN...I believe GK and PK are the ONLY people that have our best interest at heart, and they're both BIG DAWGS in the room. That's where my faith is in that we'll continue to be a player in the college football world.

No conflict for me--I don't have a sympathetic side.

On 7/26/2022 at 12:13 PM, Wrathis said:

I believe GK and PK are the ONLY people that have our best interest at heart

If GK is referring to our Commish, he does not have Oregon's best interest at heart, only what is left of the Pac, his boss.

What is good for the Pac is not necessarily what is good for the Ducks.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Dude could say they aren’t expanding and ND would know that doesn’t apply to them.  

This is a garden variet hedge answer and deserves little scrutiny or angst 

More from Kevin Warren.  Guess the LA pair will be playing a lot of night games at home.

Securing two of the West Coast's top collegiate brands in advance of the Big Ten's new media rights deal potentially opens the league up to capitalize on the late-night TV window, giving the league four TV slots each Saturday instead of the traditional three. Warren said the league is "finalizing our deals" and added that he expects an announcement "sooner than later" on a new media rights deal that is expected to be in the neighborhood of

• Thumbs Up 1

This dude said they weren't expanding for now a couple weeks back, right??? 

Now he is a doing a 180? 

It would be sort of funny if UCLA/USC always played night games in all sports.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

You've got to admit it, the guy's on a roll.  He's pretty much calling his own shots and going forward he is in a better position for expansion than the SEC.

Of course he covets ND, but it's my guess they reach a  mega-deal with NBC and stay independent.  Other than them, he pretty much has his pick of P12/B12 teams to choose from if he wants expansion and from what I'm seeing, he wants to be THE Alpha Dog conference, overtaking the SEC in that regard.

The SEC is somewhat limited in expansion candidates, primarily because of the ACC TV deal locks in their most desirable programs long-term.  Yeah maybe that gets challenged in court, or an outright buyout is negotiated, but that's expensive and complicated.  All Warren has to do is invite UO/Fuskies and P12 becomes the new Mountain West (if it even survives at all).  Nothing at that point would save them as a power conference.  

If I'm in his Machiavellian shoes I wait for ND, but once they are out I invite UO/Fuskies and Cal/Stanford and kill the P12.  That would provide a 6-team pod (maybe throw in Nebraska) that could play each other every year and that takes care of 5 conference games on the West Coast.  The other 3 or 4 could be home/away so each team in that pod would only play in traditional B10 territory 2-3 times a year.  That also eases the travel burden on the other sports.  Logistically it works better than just USC/UCLA and financially he could probably name his own price.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 5

noDucknew.........yep.......only addition.......if the valuable properties in the pac 12 started to create a deal with the big 12 it would force him off his butt and probably cement a better deal for Oregon with the big10.  

• Great post! 1

I admit I dislike Notre Dame with a passion.  How is a single school worth 75 million a year?  I don't think any other school could go out on their own and ask for that type of money.  I get how they try to value schools by location with high population, but Notre Dame TV numbers don't add up.  Especially, when it is only ND home games.  NBC and CBS have had college football, so I'm curious why there isn't more from them in trying to get the Pac 12 or Big 12.  Although, they do have NFL, so there is that.

Imagine USC fleeing UO by joining The Big only to be put in the same BIG pod as UO!

Now not only do they have to face a yearly beat down by the Ducks but now, UO gets to have a game in LA every year which is better than they get now. 

Tommy Trojan runs from the Ducks only to step on a garden rake! 

• Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1

On 7/26/2022 at 3:03 PM, fred flintstone said:

noDucknew.........yep.......only addition.......if the valuable properties in the pac 12 started to create a deal with the big 12 it would force him off his butt and probably cement a better deal for Oregon with the big10.  

What is interesting is he probably is betting (correctly if Sankey’s “contiguous” principle is to be believed) that the SEC is in no way a threat to pick off any PAC schools.  

I don’t know if a Big 12 raid of the PAC forces Warren’s hand.  So long as the SEC isn’t expanding (which won’t happen until the ACC GOR expires or is vacated), detente is preserved.  

BUT, if you believe Warren’s ‘aggressive no passive’ comment then I would assume they would not wait for some newly augmented Big 12 media deal to expire to acquire the BA and PNW media markets.  IOW, I agree with you. 

Wondering if they are waiting on new media deal before the next rout as they want the option of extending non-full membership shares?

On 7/26/2022 at 5:51 PM, noDucknewby said:

You've got to admit it, the guy's on a roll.  He's pretty much calling his own shots and going forward he is in a better position for expansion than the SEC.

Of course he covets ND, but it's my guess they reach a  mega-deal with NBC and stay independent.  Other than them, he pretty much has his pick of P12/B12 teams to choose from if he wants expansion and from what I'm seeing, he wants to be THE Alpha Dog conference, overtaking the SEC in that regard.

The SEC is somewhat limited in expansion candidates, primarily because of the ACC TV deal locks in their most desirable programs long-term.  Yeah maybe that gets challenged in court, or an outright buyout is negotiated, but that's expensive and complicated.  All Warren has to do is invite UO/Fuskies and P12 becomes the new Mountain West (if it even survives at all).  Nothing at that point would save them as a power conference.  

If I'm in his Machiavellian shoes I wait for ND, but once they are out I invite UO/Fuskies and Cal/Stanford and kill the P12.  That would provide a 6-team pod (maybe throw in Nebraska) that could play each other every year and that takes care of 5 conference games on the West Coast.  The other 3 or 4 could be home/away so each team in that pod would only play in traditional B10 territory 2-3 times a year.  That also eases the travel burden on the other sports.  Logistically it works better than just USC/UCLA and financially he could probably name his own price.

Our odds are much better going to the Big 10 if the Irish get want they want from NBC and stay independent.  NBC and the Irish needs to hurry up and make the deal.

Ohio State alum/fan.

Have been following Big Ten expansion since the mid to late 80's.  I would tell you to have patience.

The Big Ten is like the Ents from Lord of the Rings.  Slow, talk a lot amongst themselves, analyze and eventually do something.  This is how they operate.  College Presidents like data and analyze before proceeding.  Did this with Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers and now USC & UCLA.

In each case it took months before proceeding (Nebraska was like 4 to 6 weeks given their situation).  Look at USC & UCLA, they negotiated for 2 months before getting serious the last 2 weeks.  Lots of details to work out.  And in each case, NOBODY knew until the last moment after it was pretty much finalized.

President Johnson (Ohio State President), said at the news conference pertaining to USC & UCLA that they were not done with expansion.  Most people took that to mean Notre Dame.  I don't.

Once the deal with USC & UCLA was announced, how many schools contacted the Big Ten?  You just don't analyze and vote on it over night (Big Ten does not operate that way).

Given that it was said today that several schools have value to the Big Ten (Oregon & Washington included) as far as expansion.

In the past, a school will contact the Big Ten (Big Ten does not initiate contact - Notre Dame is a special case between the two).  They share data, work out details, determine it is a fit and then proceed.  If acceptable to both parties.  The school applies, the Big Ten accepts the application, Big Ten holds a vote (usually a formality at this point).  The school is accepted and the integration begins.

If a school is not acceptable, the Big Ten will not embarrass them publicly.

Just thought I would give you a rough draft of how this is played out (seen it every time).  I believe Oregon probably has reached out to the Big Ten.  And they are in process of working out the details (acceptable to both parties).  You will never know until it is announced.  Just how they operate.

Good luck.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/26/2022 at 2:51 PM, noDucknewby said:

Hate to say I told you so:

big-ten-logo.jpg
WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Could the Big Ten balloon to a 20-team (or more) league?

Wow...if you watch the video, Dennis Dodd is saying the offer for the 4 schools will be around $250M, so each school would get north of $60M.  A reduced share, but almost double where the Pac is right now.  It will be interesting to see what happens. 

It is difficult to tell how much of this is real and how much is just positioning.  Either way, I think it helps us.  This report is surely making ESPN a little uneasy as they are at risk of losing the west coast market.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey if you guys get the call from the BIG I'll be cheering for you.  Lord knows we'd jump to it if given the opportunity.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Taking a reduced share at first makes sense.  However, if they try to make it permanent, how do they justify it when Oregon has bigger TV ratings than half of the full share membership?  Why should schools not pulling their weight keep receiving full share?  It would have to be done very carefully.

I still think football and basketball could make their own divisions, but then the rest of sports divide by region.  There is next to no positive revenue in any other sports, so you don't lose anything by keeping teams regional.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oregon is heads-and-shoulders over HALF the teams in that conference to start...

Illinois
Minnesota

Purdue

Indiana

Northwestern

Maryland

Rutgers

And we should take a pay cut?

Don't even think about it.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

When Nebraska joined, we didn’t bring in enough new media market to ‘pay’ for a full member payout so it was tiered for a few years, then full payouts. I suspect Oregon would be in a similar situation. I would try not to look at it as a pay cut or a sign of disrespect, it’s just finances and full payouts would follow. All B1G schools get the same payouts nice ‘full’ members. 

I’m assuming the LA market will bring in enough new revenue to warrant an immediate full membership. 

We also didn’t join during a new media rights negotiation so that didn’t help. But I think 99% of Husker fans were just happy to get out of the Big 12 and away from Texas. We haven’t exactly been successful, but it’s stable and pays a lot. We were lucky to join at the time we did.

Personally, I would love to see Oregon and Washington get invites. Would make for some great games. I think it will happen. Good luck

• Thanks 2

Didn't Nebraska enter at a reduced share?  I don't think they have ever been competitive in the B1G. 

On 7/27/2022 at 3:36 PM, Tandaian said:

Taking a reduced share at first makes sense.  However, if they try to make it permanent, how do they justify it when Oregon has bigger TV ratings than half of the full share membership?  Why should schools not pulling their weight keep receiving full share?  It would have to be done very carefully.

I still think football and basketball could make their own divisions, but then the rest of sports divide by region.  There is next to no positive revenue in any other sports, so you don't lose anything by keeping teams regional.

I don’t think the Big Ten would even want that. It is likely they bring in new members at a reduced share but they would absolutely not have that be permanent.

They don’t want anybody permanently being on worse footing than others. That’s why you have to make sure each team you bring in adds value in at least some way.

If you have teams in your conference that are permanently making less than others you are just adding instability in the long run.

Partial league payouts for a few years, then full.

Edited by TRinnel

Giving the timing I wonder if spreading FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Despair) is the main purpose of this announcement. The last thing the B1G wants is a strong and united PAC-1?

• Applause 1

On 7/28/2022 at 6:36 AM, lownslowav8r said:

The last thing the B1G wants is a strong and united PAC-1?

Is there such thing as a Freudian typo?  Because with all the rumors about four more schools going to the B1G, four going to the Big 12, etc. - we may just end up with the PAC-1.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/28/2022 at 6:36 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Is there such thing as a Freudian typo?  Because with all the rumors about four more schools going to the B1G, four going to the Big 12, etc. - we may just end up with the PAC-1.

That's funny, but is it foretelling?

Crazy question: would not TEXAS TECH & University of Houston not add more value?  There are 30 Million TEXANS. 

• Wow 1

On 7/27/2022 at 10:17 PM, TRinnel said:

When Nebraska joined, we didn’t bring in enough new media market to ‘pay’ for a full member payout so it was tiered for a few years, then full payouts. I suspect Oregon would be in a similar situation. I would try not to look at it as a pay cut or a sign of disrespect, it’s just finances and full payouts would follow. All B1G schools get the same payouts nice ‘full’ members. 

I’m assuming the LA market will bring in enough new revenue to warrant an immediate full membership. 

We also didn’t join during a new media rights negotiation so that didn’t help. But I think 99% of Husker fans were just happy to get out of the Big 12 and away from Texas. We haven’t exactly been successful, but it’s stable and pays a lot. We were lucky to join at the time we did.

Personally, I would love to see Oregon and Washington get invites. Would make for some great games. I think it will happen. Good luck

You could actually say that Texas is the reason for much of the conference movement and instability as a whole.  They weren't happy with the Southwest Conference.  They became a part of the XII and wouldn't play ball to strengthen the conference instead of themselves when it came to a conference network (when they already had one of the biggest athletics budgets in the country).  Essentially the set fire to the XII and when the smoke became intolerable they jumped ship to the SEC.

I will NOT miss being in a conference with the Longhorns.  Good luck SEC.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

LOL, Not a Freudian slip. Maybe I should have written "PAC-1?."  Who knows what will be our "final" size. Possibly the PAC-00.