FishDuck Article

Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham Has Surprises in His Coaching Tree

New 32-year-old OC Kenny Dillingham‘s age is making Oregon fans ask “how can he have the experience and acumen being so young, and yet ready for the primetime? He looks young enough to be a graduate assistant! However, if you examine the Coaching Tree Dillingham has come from, you may find yourself asking how could he not be ready? Let’s ...

Flortida-State-Athletics-Youtube-Kenny-D
FISHDUCK.COM

New 32-year-old OC Kenny Dillingham's age is making Oregon fans ask "how can he have the experience and acumen being so young, and...
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Wow 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Charles, a great read. A grizzled OC veteran at the old age of 32. My gut feel is we should enjoy him while we can!

• Thumbs Up 2

Great research DazeNconfused!    Another great writer has been added to the FishDuck flock.  Go Ducks!

If Oregon can average over 500 yards per game (as Dillingham did his 1st year as an OC), we're in for an exciting season.  

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/27/2022 at 6:05 AM, Smith72 said:

Great research Dazenconfused!    Another great writer has been added to the FishDuck flock.  Go Ducks!

If Oregon can average over 500 yards per game (as Dillingham did his 1st year as an OC), we're in for an exciting season.  

Thanks!

I knew I wanted to share some of what I knew about Dilly's Tree, but man there was lots more there than I knew when I unpacked it all!

I will have up to 8 more articles coming before the Ducks first game kicks off to share with the FishDuck community, I hope everyone enjoys them.

This was my third article and I really want thank Charles aka Mr. FishDuck one more time. He has invested a ton of his time mentoring me, teaching me the ropes and going over my articles. I'd guess he has at least 14 hours of his time in with me in total, maybe more? 

That time is on top of the other hours Charles invests into FishDuck, as he is relentless. 

Bob my editor has also been investing time in me and bringing me along!

Lastly, I want to give a shout out to all the FishDuck Mods, Volunteers, Writers, Editors who help make this site as great as it is. I know we all enjoy and benefit from all they do. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 7/27/2022 at 5:52 AM, Flyin Vee said:

Thanks Charles, a great read. A grizzled OC veteran at the old age of 32. My gut feel is we should enjoy him while we can!

This was not my research or work, as new FishDuck writer, DazeNconfused blew me away with his facts, reasoning and passion for Our Beloved Ducks.

You will see a TON of great articles from him over the next month, as he is on FIRE.

To me, this was a very important article for all of us to learn from, and realize that Dilly is much more experienced than we thought.

My thanks to DzNc!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I'm in the car service biz (50+yrs...) and one thing I jokingly tell my coworkers and customers I have a relationship with is that the reason God put a floor board in cars is so that you can rest the accelerator pedal against it while driving. LOL!! I am looking forward (once again) to an offensive coordinator that knows how to rest the accelerator pedal on the floor board and keep his foot OFF the brake pedal!

Go Ducks!!

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Ever since his National Signing Day interview I have been VERY interested and excited about Coach Dilly. Thank you DazedNconfused for all this background info about him. I knew some of it. But, I too, am surprised as to how many limbs are on his coaching tree.

I am really trying not to become overly optimistic about this season. I know realistically it will take 2-3 years for this team will peak. But, something about this whole staff feels special.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Writing the article left me pondering a few things.

1. Is Lanning, like coach Graham going to show over his coaching career that ability to spot this type to new offensive minds?

I remember Lanning saying he was keeping a list of guys he would try to hire when he became a HC.

2. Dilly's hire serves Oregon well in that if he ever moves on to become a HC, Lanning can use connections from his Tree. 

3. If Lanning ever moved on and Dilly got the Oregon HC job, he can pull a young mind from that tree to promote someone to OC to mentor under him. 

Ryan Silverfield and Kake Spavital both got their first HC job when they were under 40, I'm sure Dilly will do the same. This coaching tree is growing and moving into HC jobs at a young age and will soon be growing more young OC's.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/27/2022 at 7:22 AM, olcodgerduck said:

I'm in the car service biz (50+yrs...) and one thing I jokingly tell my coworkers and customers I have a relationship with is that the reason God put a floor board in cars is so that you can rest the accelerator pedal against it while driving. LOL!! I am looking forward (once again) to an offensive coordinator that knows how to rest the accelerator pedal on the floor board and keep his foot OFF the brake pedal!

Go Ducks!!

I love the juice Dilly brings to the practice in that video, screaming "hole shot" and sprinting down the field to follow the play! 

Old School and older coaches aren't fun like that!

Dilly is going to get his share of kids who want to play for him, Moore is just the first. I bet we get Richard Young here soon

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/27/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

He looks young enough to be a graduate assistant!

Great article Daze! 

I love the details the media provides on the athletes but to me more coverage on the coaches is warranted.  The coaching staff under DL is what really has me excited for this upcoming season. 

I REALLY want to see how Oregon's staff does with developing this talented roster.  To me that's the most important metric for the program and its future.

• Thumbs Up 3

Really enjoyed reading the article, Dazed. Lots of interesting connections in his young career. Thanks for doing the research to present it to us. I also enjoyed watching Coach Dilly in action; lots of positivity in his approach with his players. 

With each passing day, I keep feeling better and better about this coaching staff.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

My only concern is he'll get a much-deserved big payday offer as a HC...if he has a great year or two here can we pay him more than most first-time HC offers to stay a couple more years as OC?  We still have to wait and see how '22 plays out but the optimism is blooming

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks DnC. I love hearing about these coaches. Almost as much as I love hearing about the players. Seems that every coach on this staff has that IT factor. Its infectuous.  Love it.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

I’m glad someone wrote an article on the coaching tree behind the offense that Coach Dillingham is going to run. I briefly mentioned the offense being descendent of the Malzahn offense in a previous article, but this really digs deeper into that. 

I’ll add that Morris started using the Malzahn offense when he was still coaching high school — even had Coach Malzahn come in and teach it to his staff. And then seemed to meet with Kelly before his first season at Clemson to learn a few wrinkles. 

Edited by Coach Eric Boles
  • Thanks 1