DuckIt

Samu Taumanupepe Postpones Commitment Date

Samu Taumanupepe was supposed to announce his commitment this month, with the Ducks being the heavy favorite.  He however decided to postpone it for several more days.  Keep in mind that Miami only offered him on July 15, 2022.  If he takes the official visit to Miami, I would not bet against MariØ and a bag full of $$.  MariØ is one helluva closer.

The timing of it all seems fishy to me.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Yikes! 1

Jurrion Dickey also tweeted that he will be vacationing with his family in Miami.  Cane fans are having an upvote party, thinking they can flip Dickey and get Taumanupepe to  commit to the Miami.

It certainly helps recruiting to have a booster (and relative) reportedly willing to spend $10 million on NIL.

Boy I don't like the sounds of that.  If Jurrion is taking a trip to Miami, then he may already be out the door.  I'm getting a little peeved at Mario and the Miami NIL group.  I think they are trying to emulate Texas A&M from last year.  

Unfortunately we seem to be going after alot of the same guys.

I'm kind of whatever about guys following NIL $$$. If that is their motivating force, them let them chase it. Give Lanning 85 guys that just want to hit people, and I'm sure he'll have them chasing the playoffs.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

I don't condone handing out NIL deals to HS recruits who never played a down in college football, and I don't want them to be the prime reason for recruits picking Oregon.  But for the moment, it appears to be the name of the game.  If the Ducks want to stay in the game and remain relevant, they have play along to some degree which is what they are doing.

Whether we like it or not, there is a sense of entitlement with 5-star recruits and even some high 4-star athletes.  They can almost expect some kind of NIL deal.  If one team isn't willing to offer a recruit something, there are always a handful of other teams who are itching to buy a KID's services.

Others who prove their worth in the game, like 3-star TJ Bass, they can earn themselves NIL deals.  I read that he is valued at $266K.  That is how it should be, rather than having to entice HS kids with lucrative deals who may never produce or in some cases, play.

Jurrion Dickey may not have been a 5-star recruit, when he committed to the Ducks, but now that he has received his 5th star, I should like to think that Ducks are willing to reward him accordingly with some kind of NIL deal.  It will go a long way to buy favor with him and help to lock him in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the fallout of the USC/UCLA debacle could be starting to affect recruiting. It's not popping like it was prior to the spoiled children having a tantrum. Add up the Taumanupepe and Dickey rumors, Miles McVay now looking like an Alabama commit, Banuelos specifically citing conference realignment in picking USC, and you could make the argument for a trend.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:44 PM, jrw said:

I think the fallout of the USC/UCLA debacle could be starting to affect recruiting. It's not popping like it was prior to the spoiled children having a tantrum. Add up the Taumanupepe and Dickey rumors, Miles McVay now looking like an Alabama commit, Banuelos specifically citing conference realignment in picking USC, and you could make the argument for a trend.

I agree. I was wondering if the Taumanupepe postponement had to do with realignment.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:26 PM, DuckIt said:

I don't condone handing out NIL deals to HS recruits who never played a down in college football, and I don't want them to be the prime reason for recruits picking Oregon.  But for the moment, it appears to be the name of the game.  If the Ducks want to stay in the game and remain relevant, they have play along to some degree which is what they are doing.

Whether we like it or not, there is a sense of entitlement with 5-star recruits and even some high 4-star athletes.  They can almost expect some kind of NIL deal.  If one team isn't willing to offer a recruit something, there are always a handful of other teams who are itching to buy a KID's services.

Others who prove their worth in the game, like 3-star TJ Bass, they can earn themselves NIL deals.  I read that he is valued at $266K.  That is how it should be, rather than having to entice HS kids with lucrative deals who may never produce or in some cases, play.

Jurrion Dickey may not have been a 5-star recruit, when he committed to the Ducks, but now that he has received his 5th star, I should like to think that Ducks are willing to reward him accordingly with some kind of NIL deal.  It will go a long way to buy favor with him and help to lock him in. 

Phil Knight has been in the endorsement game for many years now. I think he knows that guys who can sell Nike straight out of HS are very rare. He may play the waiting game since the transfer portal has become a free-for-all. 

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

I wonder if Oregon is slow playing him right at the moment.  I don't know how many D-linemen they plan to take this cycle but the Ducks are listed as favorites for a couple prospects with higher ratings and better offer sheets.

On 7/28/2022 at 8:30 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I'm kind of whatever about guys following NIL $$$. If that is their motivating force, them let them chase it. Give Lanning 85 guys that just want to hit people, and I'm sure he'll have them chasing the playoffs.

Every four or five star player should have their hands out for NIL money, even if their parents are exceptionally wealthy already. The money goes straight into your pocket if you are 18 years-old. The big programs should all be offering a lot, so if they all came in with close bids it would simply revert back to where they actually want to go, what coaches they like, etc.. The Ducks can't afford to lose players to NIL, we're too small for that, and are in a lame duck conference. If a player takes a big payday it doesn't mean they don't want to hit people and work hard. That's just talk that teams like WSU and OSU tell recruits because they can't afford to pay. Oregon can afford to pay.

On 7/28/2022 at 7:56 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Phil Knight has been in the endorsement game for many years now. I think he knows that guys who can sell Nike straight out of HS are very rare. He may play the waiting game since the transfer portal has become a free-for-all. 

HS players like to commit to schools that already have a highly ranked class. They want to win championships. If you start to lose top recruits it becomes something like a disease, and other players start to drop. If you lose Dickey, then you could soon lose Dante Moore, and so on. Phil Knight could afford to be patient with Nike because Nike is on top, and every player wants to sign with them anyway. In college football, Oregon is not on top. We're not really even very close to the top. We can't be patient, and certainly can't bank on the transfer market. We need every 4 and 5 star player we can get.

On 7/29/2022 at 4:34 PM, 2002duck said:

HS players like to commit to schools that already have a highly ranked class. They want to win championships. If you start to lose top recruits it becomes something like a disease, and other players start to drop. If you lose Dickey, then you could soon lose Dante Moore, and so on. Phil Knight could afford to be patient with Nike because Nike is on top, and every player wants to sign with them anyway. In college football, Oregon is not on top. We're not really even very close to the top. We can't be patient, and certainly can't bank on the transfer market. We need every 4 and 5 star player we can get.

Yeah, but PK is a business man. I don’t know if paying an 18 year old 10X the money he payed Jordan in his first shoe contract makes good business sense to him. Especially if the dude transfers after his payday. 

Oregon needs players for sure, but not guys like Quinn Ewers. A&M and Texas set a precedent of free $$$ for everybody because they have a ton of wealthy boosters who are embarrassed they haven’t won in years. Uncle Phil doesn’t strike me as that type. He’s the kind of guy who is glad to give but also have something to show for it (I.e. facilities, gear/equipment, etc.). 

I’m sure he would give a great NIL deal to a proven player, but giving huge money to a HS player doesn’t make good business sense.