Babyjesus615

QB Preview Heading into Fall Camp

Nix_SpringGame_EE_2.JPG?preset=large.soc
GODUCKS.COM

Assessing how things stack up for the UO football program entering the start of preseason camp Aug. 5.

I'm going with Nix at QB1. But what about #2? Has Thompson done enough to earn the spot or is Butterfield going to surprise us?

Edited by Babyjesus615
  • Thanks 1

Right now I’d give Butterfield the edge simply because he is use to being viewed as someone who must earn whatever he gets. That helps develop mental focus, flexibility and maturity, all of which have been fuzzy fields for Ty because of being hamstrung as the heir apparent. He can grow out of that, but it demands losing any idea of being the chosen one. De-recruit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any sense of entitlement by any of our current QBs should be gone now.

One they both sat behind a mediocre QB transfer last year.

Two they are likely to sit behind a better transfer this year.

Three they have, maybe the top QB in the class coming in next year, who just might compete to start as a true freshman.

I think Ty and Butters know by now they have to earn everything they get.

I'm hoping the competition between Bo, Ty and Butters this year makes all three better.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I'm giving Butterfield a slight edge going into camp. He has shown more growth in comprehending the offense and taking care of the ball than Thompson has as of late. That's not to say Thompson hasn't made strides either. But if we are basing where they are now versus their star rating when they started their first season, it is clear Butterfield has developed more. 

In my opinion, he has essentially caught up to where Thompson was when he saw his first game action in 2021. If there is no clear separation between Thompson and Butterfield at the end of camp then Butterfield needs to be given the #2 spot. This means he has fully caught up to and maintained the same skill level as Thompson.

Whoever gets #3 is gone next year. No one can afford to wait with Dante Moore coming on board.

If Butterfield leaves I see him as a great fit at Fresno State. Would easily pick-up and thrive in the offensive scheme that they've used with Jake Haener.

If Thompson leaves I see him going Big 12. Maybe an Iowa State or Baylor type school. Dave Aranda would love him. But so would we! 

• Go Ducks! 1

Going by what we saw at the spring game.

Bo

Butter

Ty

if Bo does well against the Dogs, and I believe he will, it will be hard to knock him off QB1. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/28/2022 at 10:33 AM, Just Ducky said:

Going by what we saw at the spring game.

Bo

Butter

Ty

if Bo does well against the Dogs, and I believe he will, it will be hard to knock him off QB1. 

My take as well.

Bo-Going to be hard to beat out for the opener at least, lots of SEC big game experience, clearly our best shot a giving Georgia a run.

Butters-Really liked what I saw in the spring game, seems football smart, good accuracy.

Ty-Physically imposing, great runner but just hasn't seemed to progress much since last year.

Last year's coaching staff didn't do Ty or Butters any favors.  Nothing against AB, he had some really good games and was pretty solid in the 4th quarter.  That said he really struggled at times, and why he didn't get benched in the two Utah blowouts is beyond me.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fresno with Butterfield would be a tough squad.

• Go Ducks! 1