sad BIG12 fan

Hypothetical Pac-12/Big 12 Merger: National Athletic Conference

COLLEGESPORTSINFO.COM

With the Pac-12 and Big 12 media rights contracts set to expire in the coming years, it's time to form something new: The National...

This might be our best option thanks to ESPN & FOX

• Washington
  • Oregon
  • California
  • Stanford
  • Arizona
  • Arizona St.
  • Utah
  • Colorado

• Baylor
  • Texas Tech
  • Houston
  • TCU
  • Oklahoma St.
  • Kansas
  • BYU
  • WVU
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/28/2022 at 7:57 AM, sad BIG12 fan said:
COLLEGESPORTSINFO.COM

With the Pac-12 and Big 12 media rights contracts set to expire in the coming years, it's time to form something new: The National...

This might be our best option thanks to ESPN & FOX

• Washington
  • Oregon
  • California
  • Stanford
  • Arizona
  • Arizona St.
  • Utah
  • Colorado

• Baylor
  • Texas Tech
  • Houston
  • TCU
  • Oklahoma St.
  • Kansas
  • BYU
  • WVU

Thing is, the PAC probably would want to add a couple California schools (for TV ratings).

Of course, they could be added to the above list for a conference of 18 with 9 in each division. Or find a couple more schools and have 20/10.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe we have already looked at the numbers in the forum a couple of times, and merging the two will not do as well as what the Pac-12 is and will be.  I believe Oregon is best to stay in the Pac-12, unless we get an invite from the B1G, which could happen.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/28/2022 at 11:19 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I believe we have already looked at the numbers in the forum a couple of times, and merging the two will not do as well as what the Pac-12 is and will be.  I believe Oregon is best to stay in the Pac-12, unless we get an invite from the B1G, which could happen.

I know what the numbers say, but my gut is telling me that the two "super conference" smucks need competition.

Somehow I'd like to see those not included in the B1G Ugly and SEC now find a way to create something that not only competes with them but eventually beats them. 

I'm thinking long term, not just this year or next. Whether that's a three way with PAC, Big 12 and ACC as I've said I would like to see, or PAC/Big 12 deal.

It seems that the "left outs" need to band together or the cream gets pick off one by one and there will be two conferences in college football where any of the teams have a realistic chance at a NC. 

I for one don't want to see that come to pass.

• Thumbs Up 1

The best long term option I see is to start from scratch with teams from Pac, B12, Mountain West and form two new 16-18 team conferences. The AAA schools form one and the AA schools form the other. A legit third place super conference that can get in the playoffs is better than distant fifth where the Pac12 was with USC and UCLA.

Teams would still have regional connections. Also, the champion of the AA conference could still be a playoff participant and that would give teams like OSU, WSU and Boise St legit playoff aspirations as well. Seems like a win win for everybody.

At this point, this whole CFB conference muscle-flexing orchestrated by ESPN and Fox feels like a pale imitation of a Wall Street merger/acquisition/take-over scenario being played out in a sandbox by rank amateurs. These are not companies being snatched up; it is the manipulation of cultural, educational traditions and kids. Both are worth infinitely more than dollars and cents.

At this point, as Jordan pointed out in his article, all they are doing is creating uncertain futures and ulcers.

There is a bigger picture. Play their game. Make the survival responses you must to the impulsive power plays by puppet conferences as the media giants pull there strings. Hopefully, in a few years, we may all find out if the bottom line of media corporations is where we want to park these things we love.

Business as usual is not the future I would choose for them.     

• Great post! 1

On 7/28/2022 at 8:19 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I agree.  And if we stop scheduling the best teams in the country before conference play, we have a great chance with playoffs every year.  Oregon practically has to be undefeated to get an invite.  How often will we win the Big 10 playing in ice bowls at Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Ohio State?  I do not believe we go to playoffs ever again if we move to the Big.  

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason Clemson reached the playoffs multiple years is they could compete with the elite, and win.

The most effective route to prove we belong is to continue scheduling the elite teams (if they dare to).  

The other route is to absolutlely drop fifty points s game on the mediocre.  We are not Notre Dame, do we won't get the get out of jail card. 

I also believe this year dictates everything for OBD.  Finish to ten in recruiting and go to the playoffs, we write out own ticket.  We don't, the future is out of our hands. 

By the way, I am NOT afraid of the BIG.  We would instantly compete for titles.  Especially if we continue to recruit well.  

I have to agree with Mr. West. We don't get the Notre Dame free ride, and we have to beat "The Immortals" or get tossed. How ever

I seem to remember "The Ohio State" bad boys chasing us ALL GAME LONG last year (and not catching our Beloved Ducks), and that

was with out the services of some guy named Kayvon.

We constantly get the short stick. It's almost like someone doesn't like our uncle

Phil.... go figure. They'll shut their mouths fast, and come with hat in hand if we beat the Bulldogs, and It CAN BE DONE !  Go Ducks !