idontrollonshobbas

How Can OBD Remain Relevant in Turbulent Times?

In several posts over the past week or so, many of us have expressed concerns over OBD losing some established brand equity (value in this sense) in this slow-moving evolution within college football.  In some cases, the anxiety manifests itself as fear of losing recruits/coaches/transfers while others broaden the scope to include non-revenue sports in the discussion.

Given the emerging consensus that a short-term media contract for the Pac-10 is likely while awaiting inevitable consolidation into a Power 4 conference format, the question it seems to me is:  how can OBD maintain their media relevance and brand value until that new reality settles out?  

I am thinking a 5-year timeline and have some thoughts, but am curious what others think.  Somehow, the AD and Division Street (the NIL firm) have to INCREASE their budgets from revenue sources other than media rights.  If we can remain competitive with national coaching salaries and NIL deals, then we have a chance to remain in the top tier based on winning results.  

But how?  Uncle Phil?  It seems wishful to assume he will do it alone.  Even relying on the usual suspects of Duck benefactors seems insufficient. And that is just to keep men's FB and BB competitive.  

Do we play some OOC away games in LA?  How about all-access packages for major donors that include gameday exposure to the HD Complex, press box, post-game locker room, bespoke Nike gear, etc. similar to the experience a recruit's family gets?  Can we financialize OBD to attract investors?  Do we target ex-athletes with sports businesses as sponsors for non-revenue sports Oregon Men's Golf, brought to you by Peter Jacobsen Sports?

It's 'Break Glass in Case of Emergency Time' it seems to me.....and money solves a lot of problems.  What options do we have?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

If there was ever a year to win at least 10 wins to continue the brand....this is the year.  To me the two biggest components (beyond the excellent suggestions you made) are winning big now, and the confidence exuded by our head coach about the Oregon Brand, and how it will be strong no matter the conference.

If you say it with confidence, it is reassuring, and then when you win big--you confirm it.  Do that, and much of the rest will fall into place, IMHO.

Just WIN Baby!

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/30/2022 at 12:29 PM, Charles Fischer said:

If there was ever a year to win at least 10 wins to continue the brand....this is the year.  To me the two biggest components (beyond the excellent suggestions you made) are winning big now, and the confidence exuded by our head coach about the Oregon Brand, and how it will be strong no matter the conference.

If you say it with confidence, it is reassuring, and then when you win big--you confirm it.  Do that, and much of the rest will fall into place, IMHO.

Just WIN Baby!

giphy.gif

I can't imagine how much weight Lanning is carrying at this point. He has to show his value as a head coach, has to push UO towards a conference championship, has to push UO's national marketability by having UO be instantly elite. All to save either the school from a Pac 12 implosion (earn BIG10 invite) or save the conference with national credibility (playoff run).

All in year one.

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'll be honest I have felt some of the dread. I mean it's no real secret that Oregon has lost recruits due to NIL. It is also no real secret that many recruits are opting for the biggest pay day over where they would actually like to go or be with those they would actually like to be coached by. 

If the goal is still the NFL for these players then Oregon needs to show they get players to the NFL. 

Right now the big thing I'm looking for that will start to reshape now NIL works, at least on the high school recruit end, is how many of these big money players are busts. Either in not making the leap needed to the clege game or just not putting forward the work ethic needed to earn themselves a starting job. 

After all ... If you were given a contract worth millions that could potentially set you up for life how motivated would you be?

Considering you were of course an 18 year old kid just out of high school with potentially a massive ego because you were just given millions of dollars because you are good at a sport at the high school level. 

If there are lots of busts then maybe NIL starts to cool a little bit. Donars don't want to see some three star out work and beat out their multi million five star. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I love my Ducks as much as anybody but............ This is THE YEAR to put up or shut up. We need to win at least 11 games, and let the walking do the talking.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Play fast, and score points. Offense creates excitement with fans and captures the attention of the casual observer who happens to tune in to watch. 

All the team can control is how they approach each practice and game. These kids and coaches carry the torch, but ultimately they will not decide the fate of the PAC 10. The shifting sands of the conference landscape is out of their control. 

Oregon will be relevant. A narrative will be established about the direction that the University is taking with regards to it’s future. However, it is still too early to give definitive answers to where they will be in 5 years. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/30/2022 at 12:29 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Just WIN Baby!

giphy.gif

Agreed. Winning solves everything. Can’t keep undefeated or popular teams off television and the Ducks are a top ten Brand. Historical prowess and legacy aside, the Ducks are popular now and if they get back to winning and scoring lots of points there won’t be problems. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Winning can stem the tide...but only for FB and hoops....and only if revenue beyond media rights manifests itself. There needs to be a broader revenue strategy beyond the wins, especially if non-revenue sports are to be saved.

I hope I am wrong.

Of any of the college's that aren't in money bags SEC and B1G, with the innovation that we have shown over the years, we will figure it out come hell or high water.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1