HawaiiDuck

Jon Wilner: Realignment Could Take Months

27GOVNF5DZAMLOO4EE6UVW6PLQ.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Fox and ESPN are in the middle of an...

Per the article, there are many moving parts in this realignment and it depends on the outcome of Big 10 and Pac-12 media negotiations, among others. Stuff we already knew, but the discussion is interesting.

• Thanks 1

Patience is a virtue. Now just wish I could master it.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

My gut says that the B1G media deal is being negotiated with a couple contingencies in mind.  One for if ND joins and the addition of specific Pac schools if that happens.  A second contingency for if ND doesn't join and a slightly different group of schools joins.  I suspect that Oregon is solidly in both contingency plans and their membership will be voted on shortly after the new deal is completed.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I agree with DC. Highly improbable UO is left out in the cold. USC doesn't have to like it but Oregon is going to be the team to beat in the future BIG west 

IMHO, their are probably many underlying problems to all of this conference realignment that arent glamourous enough to make sportscenter or garner clicks.

Money, money and more money are all thats being discussed in public. But i wonder what is going on behind the scenes?

But something, we may not be seeing, has caused the self-righteous BIG commissioner to go from we are done with expansion (just 3 weeks ago) to we are looking at additional schools.

Dont under estimate the power of academia or the power of parents of student athletes.

For example, it has been stated that many ucla fans, boosters and parents are not happy about the move to the BIG. Gavin Newsom is not the only person who is asking how is this better for the student athlete?

Imagine 5k mile round trips every other week for MBB, WBB, volleyball, baseball, softball, etc. Without adding 4 to 6 additional west coast schools this is what the bruin student athletes face. (i dont give 2 poops about uscuck or its athletes)

This includes some or all of the current BIG schools in the west division, too. Parents who could attend games in the midwest may not be able to come out west. Their son or daughter also faces these 5k milexround trips.

Trips that tOSU, MSU, Michigan, Penn state and the other east division schools will make less often. Cant imagine their are not some unhappy Ad's and coaches in the west division  Complaining we are not privy too.

This is just a small but powerful example. College athletics is a regional endeavor that is shown on national media. Regional rivalries a century in the making. Rivalries built and established by student athletes and supported by booster and alumni.

Fox and the BIG are one smart decision from eliminating the PAC and then shutting espn out of saturday night sports.

Unless GK and PK can pull in more revenue from all media and streaming networks then our OBD will probably be headed to the BIG.

Even though GK talks about whats best for the student athlete and i appreciate that, money, money and more money drives the bus.

• Great post! 2

On 7/31/2022 at 8:34 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

This includes some or all of the current BIG schools in the west division, too. Parents who could attend games in the midwest may not be able to come out west. Their son or daughter also faces these 5k milexround trips.

Trips that tOSU, MSU, Michigan, Penn state and the other east division schools will make less often. Cant imagine their are not some unhappy Ad's and coaches in the west division  Complaining we are not privy too.

Good point, one I hadn't thought of.  

I imagine that the non-revenue and Olympic sports are going to be hit hardest by the jump. I travel a lot for work now and the time zone changes are tough on the body, 3-4 hour time differences. Non-revenue sports likely won't be traveling by charter airplane but via commercial which may affect their travel plans. For instance, rather than having direct flights from campus to the B1G school, they may have a few connecting flights and/or charter buses, or have to come in a day or two early, or at night.

I can't imagine the travel schedule is going to help these athletes perform their best or allow them to be 'student-athletes'.

This is a money grab, pure and simple. I feel for the athletes and their parents.

• Applause 1

Let's just hope they don’t lay over in Cincinnati. Yikes! Worst airport I have ever had to grab a connecting flight at.

• Haha 2