Log Haulin

New Study on Largest Fan Base for 2021 and Conference Realignment.

Is the underlying data from the research firm SBRnet credible?  They propose that UCLA is the most popular football team in eleven western states.  GIGO.

https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/ojb31/2/

On 7/31/2022 at 7:03 AM, McDuck said:

Is the underlying data from the research firm SBRnet credible?  They propose that UCLA is the most popular football team in eleven western states.  GIGO.

https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/ojb31/2/

Yea, I don't put much weight into it. Found it entertaining though. They don't go into details about how study was conducted other than a one season peek. Mariøball was a snoozer, so grain of salt.

Yep, and this article put Oregon as No. 1 in the conference, and No. 7 worldwide in the number of fans with over five million.

USATSI_16831014.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks have one of the biggest fan bases in the nation. But where do they stack up among the most beloved teams in college football?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yeah, call me a skeptic. I need to know a few things about this.

One, how was the data gathered? Is this good science, an educated guess or just a guess.

Two, what exactly is a fan? Are we talking, "Yeah, I kinda like the Ducks, those uniforms are cool." or are we talking, "I give half of my income to Ducks athletics, I bleed Green and Yellow!" 

The article Fish Duck posted seems more likely to me. 

On 7/31/2022 at 5:55 PM, OhioDuck said:

Yeah, call me a skeptic. I need to know a few things about this.

One, how was the data gathered? Is this good science, an educated guess or just a guess.

Two, what exactly is a fan? Are we talking, "Yeah, I kinda like the Ducks, those uniforms are cool." or are we talking, "I give half of my income to Ducks athletics, I bleed Green and Yellow!" 

The article Fish Duck posted seems more likely to me. 

Agree 100%...there's almost no information even provided as an output but what is provided, is ambiguous at best.

Here are the actual week by week viewership numbers for each school and the average 5 year attendance figures for each school: https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/;  https://collegefootballnews.com/gallery/college-football-attendance-5-year-average-for-every-school.  Almost every week, Oregon had more viewers than did ASU or UCLA, for instance, and they have had better attendance figures than ASU as well.  

Thank you tallfir, and do post often.  WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

They must have been adding in BaB as I see Duke in the ACC as having over 2 million fans can't be just FB.

It almost has to be  additional BB fans when both UCLA and Duke show up that high.

There is also the entertainment value relative to the fanbase numbers. You may not like Tiger Woods, but if he is in the hunt on Saturday you are paying attention. If Brooks Koepka, rated higher over the last decade, is in the hunt, few care.

If Oregon regains their brand, they will pull in number much higher than any comparable program. We just need to make sure we are in the hunt on Saturdays, and in the New Year. The rest will take care of itself. 

UCLA, even with Chip, is more like Brooks Koepka, maybe their basketball team pulls in numbers, but the Bruins aren't a compelling program. Oregon with speed on offense and a defense is more like Tiger.

• Applause 1

While scrolling through a 130 plus teams on my crappy iPad ll mini, I was struck by just how many college football fan butts are in the seats on any given Saturday. To lazy to add them up and divide by 2......