Charles Fischer

I'm Excited! Huge News for the Two Sites of the FishDuck Oregon Sports Community

My FishDuck Friends, I am excited to announce that our date of moving to seven days a week of articles begins August 1st! We will have great articles every single day through the entire football season that are created to inform, entertain and generate discussion in the Our Beloved Ducks forum.

As you know, I am the Shameless Beggar who is often asking OBD members for help, and we are now up to 37 total volunteers between writers, editors, Duck News Hunters, and moderators.  When enough people take a few minutes a day to help, it takes hours off my shoulders and I am very grateful, as are the thousands who read and post in this wonderful forum.

Best New Group of Writers....EVER

I am delighted to announce three new writers who chose to join us, and while the current writers joined us gradually over the last decade--this is the best group to come in as rookies ever at FishDuck. Let's meet them!

DazeNconfused has already begun recently and was born a Cali kid, and his uncle is a USC Alum. He remembers going to an SC game when he was like 5 with him, moved to Oregon in 1977 when he was six, and became a Duck fan long ago. He remembers the Reggie Ogburn QB days, so it was before the Ducks got good and he's been a sports nut since he was a kid.

Reggie Ogburn FP_Video.jpg

He watched Reggie Ogburn!

While he prefers to remain anonymous, his knowledge of football, the Ducks and other teams is quite vast, thus when he gives an opinion article--he often backs it up superb research. He is the major reason we are moving early to seven days a week due to a flurry of articles he created for August, a couple of which will ruffle some Duck feathers, but are truthful. He does critical analysis!

Alan Lohner has been known as "Axel" on this forum, and is famous with us all for his humor and scathing commentary of the Trojans and Huskies. (Gotta love the guy!) He is moving to a new posting name of "Alan" and he will be writing "Saturday Spoofs," where he pokes a little fun at our opponent that day. On non-gamedays, he'll be offering his thoughts on Oregon football.

Alan is a native of Toledo, Ohio, where he served as a police officer from 1976-1980, before he moved West, graduating with a master’s degree in journalism at the University of Oregon in 1981. He’s enjoyed a long, successful career as a writer and creative director in advertising and marketing communications.

Alan takes delight in writing satire and spoofs for Ducks fans. He’s also written two self-help books; one is a highly acclaimed guide for teens and young adults, available as a free PDF to any member of the FishDuck community. Send a request to Alan, via message, in the OBD forum.

Drex Heikes is a former Oregon Daily Emerald editor-in-chief who went on to work 44 years at in New York, Alaska, California and Nevada. He worked 21 years at the Los Angeles Times, where he was foreign affairs editor in the Washington D.C. bureau, editor of the Times Sunday magazine and New York bureau chief for coverage of 9/11. He also wrote occasionally, even about sports. He left the Times for a few years to help revive Las Vegas Sun newspaper, which soon won the 2009 Pulitzer Prize gold medal for public service.  He later returned to the Times before retiring in Los Angeles. 

Autzen Experience_Kevin Cline.jpg

Drex will be writing as "a fan from the bleachers" as he told me, although he has a sneaky sense of humor that will hit you in his articles when you least suspect it.

As you can imagine, I am beyond delighted (and humbled) that we would have an analyst, and two journalism professionals join our team to write for their and our enjoyment. They are another testament to the quality of our audience, as all three are members of this wonderful forum and were when the Shameless Beggar approached them. I can tell you that each is impressive, and yet they are just like the rest of us; they are massive fans of Our Beloved Ducks, and have a great sense of humor as well.

Some would say that I've never written such a welcome for a new group like this, but the truth is...I've never had a new group as talented as this. From them, we will learn tons about Oregon football, we will laugh, and we will have fantastic discussions initiated from their work.  Please welcome them!

• Cool 1
  • Wow 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 11
  • Thumbs Up 8

Mr. FishDuck

All 5-star. Nice class Charles.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

You have every right to be happy and proud of the team you have built, Charles. There is no finer place for a Duck fan to be. 

• Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

This is the best, Charles. It's why we love this site! You definitely should be proud.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with those expressing their delight with such a high class site that is the FishDuck Oregon Sports Community with all that it has to offer!

I also give this site a 5 star rating!  Thankful for all the existing writers, new writers and others that make this site contagious to join!  You will never be disappointed!

Go Ducks, Fly High!! 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

7 days a week is here. Lets Go!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1

Changes and evolution are ongoing. Welcome to all of the new volunteers. Thank you for your anticipated contributions. Let’s go Ducks!

• Applause 1

On 7/31/2022 at 10:39 AM, DazeNconfused said:

7 days a week is here. Lets Go!

8 Days a Week!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Look forward to some good reading!

Great news!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Saturday Spoofs sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't remember...

Good job, Charles. Your roster is complete.

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2022 at 9:36 PM, Duckpop22 said:

Saturday Spoofs sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't remember...

Who can forget your six years of Saturday Spoofs?  With you humor-guys...I always feel the need to place a disclaimer/disclosure that you "do not drink coffee as you read the article, as FishDuck is not responsible for burned nostrils."

Thanks so much for the hundreds of articles you created that removed all my nose hair, as it was a glorious time, and we are about to embark on the next one...

Mr. FishDuck