Pennsylvania Duck

ESPN Analyst Calls Oregon a ‘Threat’ to UGA...DawgNation Podcast Takes Exception

For whatever reason, I just wasn't able to link directly into the podcast and have it come on, so I'm doing it the old fashioned way.

1. Click on link below. If for some reason link doesn't work, go to DAWGNATION.COM

2. Click on DawgNation Daily

3. Click on Georgia football podcast: ESPN analyst calls Oregon a ‘threat’ to UGA

The first part of podcast deals with the topic. It's interesting to listen to the "other" side,

WWW.DAWGNATION.COM

Georgia Bulldogs football and recruiting news. Get updates on UGA football, basketball, baseball, gymnastics and other sports. A...

• Thanks 2

I gave the opening a bit of a listen.

I will say what appears to be his first point, doesn't seem to be that wild of a take, that a lot of people predicting the game recently essentially have been doing so suggesting Georgia may be overlooking Oregon and might sleep walk into the game and get surprised. In a manner some have suggested took place to some degree in the tOSU/Oregon game last year.

The podcaster apparently follows their program closely and sees no signs of Georgia players or staff doing this. So, his suggestion people making a prediction based on something he doesn't see happening seems ok enough.

But then I kept listening and I believe he says at about the 9 minute mark he is on record picking Georgia to SHUT OUT Oregon in the game ("for a million factors I have explained before which I won't go into great detail now"). Which, if is the mindset around the Georgia fanbase and program, is sort of exactly what we were hearing from the tOSU side leading into the game.

(And yes that is Georgia shutting out Oregon with 8 new starters on defense -  playing their first game as 1st time starters)

I even recall a thread on the tOSU site (Eleven Warriors) last year where one of their posters upon finding out Thibodeaux wasn't going to play was really upset because his plan was to create some sort of "Pancake Counter" for the tOSU OL against Thibodeaux on the day.

I recall mentioning this around this time last year. 247 keeps a "blue chip ratio" that measures the overall talent of the scholarship players actually on the team heading into the season.

Georgia's guys are rated #3 heading into the season (at 77%) and Oregon is tied for #10 (at 60%).

That is pretty close to where tOSU/Oregon sat last year in the rankings.

#3 (talent) in the nation should be expecting a game from #10 (talent) in the nation. 20+ point wins and shutouts by #3 in talent versus #10 in talent in an opener actually really does sound like a degree of overconfidence.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 3

Matters little what fans think.  Kirby Smart is well aware of what challenges the Ducks pose. All the unknowns have got to have Smart a little nervous. 

• Applause 1

Fair enough.

Obviously "overconfidence" (and the like) is something inside the program, players, and coaches, and something that fans (and game analysts) rarely will get to directly glimpse heading into a game.

A few Ohio State fans I recall suggested the same idea, that it doesn't matter how overconfident a fan base may be, all that matters is the players and coaches don't feel that way, and "of course a Ryan Day led team with playoff goals isn't going to take Oregon lightly."

But looking at the game, and things like tOSU getting it's base defense sliced and diced without being able to do something else, does sort of generate the question of whether they even bothered to plan to need anything outside their base defense, because it was little old Oregon and they would be up three scores in the 2nd quarter, so the base defense was going to be plenty to handle the game? It isn't like Moorhead exactly reinvented the wheel that day in the shoe. Ohio State at times looked unprepared and possibly even "sleepwalking" while a motivate Oregon team came out ready, executed, and jumped on them.

I guess my point was at least this podcast appeared to make an argument #10 in talent should be respected by #3 in talent and there are no issues in what should be a competitive game, but in actually essentially does the opposite and predicts a blow-out due to Georgia's perceived position compared to Oregon. Just similar to "signs" that were there leading up to the game at Ohio State. Clearly nothing absolute, just "signs".

This isn't just a Georgia thing. Many times Oregon fans have been very confident heading into a game where it was expected to win, and the refrain was always "fans can be overconfident but the players and coaches aren't" and Oregon has come out looking exactly like an overconfident team that gets punched in the mouth. Oregon State and Cal in 2020? ASU in 2019? Arizona in 2018? Talking about openers? How about Boise State in 2009?

Edited by AnotherOD

That analysis, like the one below, will not age well...

124740_h.jpg
WWW.ELEVENWARRIORS.COM

It's a bad day to be an Oregon Duck.

"Now, they could shut me up and make me look like an arrogant jackass for my Internet words today. But they won't. And everyone knows it."

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I'm from down there.  I'm telling you Georgia is coming head hunting.  They hate us in the South.  Oregon's going to get hit like none of these players have ever been hit.  I'm not saying we will roll over-not at all...but Georgia is foaming at the mouth for September 3rd.  This is a MAJOR statement game for both conferences.  

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/31/2022 at 3:45 PM, Pac10again said:

I'm from down there.  I'm telling you Georgia is coming head hunting.  They hate us in the South.  Oregon's going to get hit like none of these players have ever been hit.  I'm not saying we will roll over-not at all...but Georgia is foaming at the mouth for September 3rd.  This is a MAJOR statement game for both conferences.  

It may very well be the case, however, we have a strategic advantage that Georgia doesn't. In particular, they have extremely limited knowledge of our offensive scheme, down/distance tendencies, etc. They know Lannings defense but, then Lanning knows their defense and personnel. From a strategy, tactics perspective, there's some challenges we pose that they don't. Personnel wise, we're a bit fubar'd so we need some help from the football gods but it's possible.

• Go Ducks! 2

It also depends on where the refs are from if we expect to win this game. We could get homered.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2022 at 8:19 AM, WickedGreen said:

It may very well be the case, however, we have a strategic advantage that Georgia doesn't. In particular, they have extremely limited knowledge of our offensive scheme, down/distance tendencies, etc. They know Lannings defense but, then Lanning knows their defense and personnel. From a strategy, tactics perspective, there's some challenges we pose that they don't. Personnel wise, we're a bit fubar'd so we need some help from the football gods but it's possible.

And the guys have to believe they can win.  Conference respect wise the Utah-Florida game is just as big.  The Pac cannot lose both games. 

This is BO Nix’s opportunity to step up and perhaps grab some needed attention from NFL scouts. His play, coupled with how well our OL plays, will probably determine whether Oregon is in the game in the 4th quarter. 

I can say that I am not overly optimistic about Nix, but am willing to be pleasantly surprised. 

On 7/31/2022 at 1:45 PM, Pac10again said:

I'm from down there.  I'm telling you Georgia is coming head hunting.  They hate us in the South.  Oregon's going to get hit like none of these players have ever been hit. 

Seems like this was the tOSU logic going into last year's game at the 'Shoe. As if the B1G and the SEC have the market cornered on bringing the wood. It goes back to the old 'Oregon is soft' narrative and that the Ducks play 'finesse' football. Tell that to the O-line and see what happens. If anyone on that field sends an opponent into the 2nd row it'll be Noah Sewell.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2022 at 11:24 AM, Just Ducky said:

It also depends on where the refs are from if we expect to win this game. We could get homered.

I could be wrong, but I believe because this is the Chick-fil-A kickoff game labeled neutral site, referees are suppose to be neutral as well.  Most likely from either the ACC or Big 12 conference.  Or possibly the refs in the game could be either SEC or Pac-12 refs and the instant replay ref would be the opposite.

On 8/1/2022 at 9:08 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Seems like this was the tOSU logic going into last year's game at the 'Shoe. As if the B1G and the SEC have the market cornered on bringing the wood. It goes back to the old 'Oregon is soft' narrative and that the Ducks play 'finesse' football. Tell that to the O-line and see what happens. If anyone on that field sends an opponent into the 2nd row it'll be Noah Sewell.

And they will have their chance to prove it.  I was simply saying that Georgia, unlike Ohio State, will not be taking Oregon lightly. 

Of course we're a threat, but does that make us a favorite?  Not in my book.

I'm not seeing any advantage in offense, defense or special teams, plus they have for all practical purposes the home field.

I love our coaching staff, but this is DL's first game as a head coach playing against a journeyman coming off a national title.  There's familiarity on both sides so that's probably a push.

Regardless of how many new starters they have on defense, it is unlikely we we put up big numbers against them.  I think our best chance is for OUR defense to have a great game and keep it close going into the fourth quarter.

I don't see the moment being too big for Bo Nix, he's been there before.  That said, he makes a bone-headed pick or two and we're toast.  I'm hoping we can loosen their D up with a couple of explosion plays early, keep it close and win the fourth quarter.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

The bigger the bark the smaller the dog. Let them woof, in the end the ducks will do the quacking.

25131F0A-FDEE-4CA2-BB34-24C3AAC6A7E0.gif

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 8/1/2022 at 8:19 AM, WickedGreen said:

Personnel wise, we're a bit fubar'd so we need some help from the football gods but it's possible.

Huh? Personnel????

Flowe and Sewell are the top two inside linebackers from the 2020 class and the highest rated starting pair in college football.

Dorlus and Popo both were selected first team ALL-Pac!

Taki was rated the firth best DL in the Pac last year by Pro Football Focus, and Popo and Dorlus were in that top five.

We got Gonzo who was All-Pac paired with five-star Manning at the corners. Bennett Williams was a freshman All-American

DJ Johnson and Mase Funa were both Top 75 recruits on the 247 composite.

Our defense is more experienced than Georgia and will be the better unit on Sept 3rd.

We have Lanning's schemes, and this is a top 3 defense in the SEC and will be the best defense since Gang Green!

You can quote me and check back in 16 weeks.

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Mic drop 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2022 at 4:07 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Huh? Personnel????

Flowe and Sewell are the top two inside linebackers from the 2020 class and the highest rated starting pair in college football.

Dorlus and Popo both were selected first team ALL-Pac!

Taki was rated the firth best DL in the Pac last year by Pro Football Focus, and Popo and Dorlus were in that top five.

We got Gonzo who was All-Pac paired with five-star Manning at the corners. Bennett Williams was a freshman All-American

DJ Johnson and Mase Funa were both Top 75 recruits on the 247 composite.

Our defense is more experienced than Georgia and will be the better unit on Sept 3rd.

We have Lanning's schemes, and this is a top 3 defense in the SEC and will be the best defense since Gang Green!

You can quote me and check back in 16 weeks.

You just saved me a lot of thumb work. Thanks.

I listened to the podcast in question  today and do not remember hearing the podcaster say the Dawgs would shut  the Ducks out. He is often prone to exaggerate and may have made that claim but I often tune out his pontifications.

Case in point: Our podcaster dislikes Nick Saban and tries to convince us that Saban resents Kirby Smart  big time. I have it from multiple sources that they are actually quite friendly and genuinely respect each other. I had each of these guys in class (25 years apart) and my assessment leads me believe that they are the kind of men who would get along. Podcasters, I have learned, often should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Kirby Smart is one of my favorite coaches to hear talk.  No BS, no hyperbole.  He just gives it to you straight.

• Applause 2