Pennsylvania Duck

Chip Kelly's Recruiting Troubles: No. 68 Class in Nation, No. 10 Class in the Pac-12

Sure glad our coach is an elite recruiter. Recruiting at UCLA looks troublesome, especially since this is Kelly's 5th year.

Looking back, it's a good thing he wasn't seriously considered for Oregon job.

AA10abRl.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l
WWW.MSN.COM

The Bruins have only earned two verbal commitments since the start of June while 20 of their targets committed elsewhere.

Edited by Pennsylvania Duck
  • Haha 1

You know you feel sorry for 
Chip and the Bruins...

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

Part of being a great coach is attracting recruiting great assistants.  I thought Cristobal had some holes in his staff, (Minnie-Me and the RB coach) but for the most part he recruited a number of good coaches.

Coach Lanning has doubled what Mari did in attracting a good staff, as a new head coach!  Chip did not place a value on it or could not make it happen...which will be his downfall.  I really think Chip would be happiest as an OC somewhere...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I think Chip will be quite happy mailing it in every year and collecting checks for a university that will be quite happy mailing it in every year and collecting checks.

• Applause 1

Chip seems to be a miserable human being winning or losing. Maybe I just don't understand the northeastern mentality, and continual negativity, but I am glad we moved on.

That attitude doesn't seem to sell well to recruits, but administration seems to have no problem writing him checks. I suppose it helps having an AD who is from the East.

Kelly's time at Oregon is an anomaly! 

He caught lightning in a bottle with this scheme and style of play. It attracted big time recruits like DAT. 

After he left recruiting slid a little bit on average as Oregon cooled for recruits as what they were doing wasn't as unique any more. 

Mark-Helfrich-v-Washingotn-2015-John-Spe
FISHDUCK.COM

Mark Helfrich is generally considered the worst recruiter in modern Oregon football history. He is a coach who...

Simply put ... The Kelly years were better than the Helfrich years but not by much and neither were outside the norm when you look at the Bellotti years. 

On 7/31/2022 at 9:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Part of being a great coach is attracting recruiting great assistants. 

What great recruiting assistant would want to work for an HC who isn't into recruiting? That would be a real turn off.

On 7/31/2022 at 7:31 PM, Haywarduck said:

... Maybe I just don't understand the northeastern mentality, and continual negativity, but I am glad we moved on.

I can't speak for all of New Hampshire, but I grew up in CT, and I can tell you CK's personality does not represent most of New England! 🙂

• Thumbs Up 1

He’s lost faith in himself. 

Devil's advocate viewpoint here (fair warning):

Chip has always been "aloof" about recruiting.  As mentioned here, his staff hires do not focus on recruiting, never have.  When Pellum left OBD as head of recruiting, he didn't have a Twitter account for crying out loud.  Chip hired him for the same role anyway. 

Chip's belief in his system(s) has led him to conclude that he can win without prima donnas. He really struggled with the Millenial to Gen Z transition which amplified all of the aspects of recruiting that Chip despises.  He hired some staff to help with that (remember he used WIllie Lyles to save time on recruiting) but he would rather not have to compromise.

The transfer portal could be his salvation.  He and his staff can focus on game planning, scheme and coaching up players, as opposed to recruiting.  He can pluck guys from the portal to fill out the roster.   Portal players are by definition older, humbled, and hungry for a new start.  

Those players are the anti-hero archetype that Chip's demeanor handles better than the flashy kid that needs endless affirmation, BEFORE SIGNING.  At the end of the day, all of that recruiting time comes with an opportunity cost which is time away from scheme/development/scouting/etc.   All of the stuff Chip would rather do and excels at.

Will he win a conference championship that way?  Maybe, once in a while.   But he will always be a pain in the ass game on the calendar who can topple a giant on any given Saturday. He outcoached Cristobal the last two times and nearly snatched a W both times.

• Applause 3

On 7/31/2022 at 7:46 PM, David Marsh said:

He caught lightning in a bottle

The only thing Chip’s currently caught in a bottle are the stool samples his doctor has requested.

• Wow 1

Well we all know how tough it is to recruit in Eugen......Er....Southern California.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1