Pennsylvania Duck

Pac-12 Football Coaches' Message? Adapt, Adjust, Evolve

I totally disagree with Chip Kelly''s comment about traveling east for games.

"You're only there for probably 18 hours total," he said. "You fly in the night before, go to sleep, get up in the morning, touch your toes, play a game, get on a plane and go back."

As one who has done this cross country trip many times, it is much easier adjusting traveling east to west than vice versa. 18 hours is a very short turnaround and not enough to make-up the 3-hr sleep difference and be alert, especially for a 1:00ET game.

519670.jpg
WWW.MSN.COM

Jul. 30—LOS ANGELES — Football coaches are gonna football coach. There wasn't going to be any public hand-wringing about...

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah or a 9 a.m EST. game will be the absolute worst. Let alone 12 pm or 1 pm.

• Thumbs Up 3

I get Chip’s attitude of mind over matter, but when has less time to sleep or just relax ever been equal to more time for the same?

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2022 at 4:07 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

I totally disagree with Chip Kelly''s comment about traveling east for games.

"You're only there for probably 18 hours total," he said. "You fly in the night before, go to sleep, get up in the morning, touch your toes, play a game, get on a plane and go back."

As one who has done this cross country trip many times, it is much easier adjusting traveling east to west than vice versa. 18 hours is a very short turnaround and not enough to make-up the 3-hr sleep difference and be alert, especially for a 1:00ET game.

519670.jpg
WWW.MSN.COM

Jul. 30—LOS ANGELES — Football coaches are gonna football coach. There wasn't going to be any public hand-wringing about...

I totally agree that East to West travel is much easier. I've gone from Hawaii to the East Coast and back many times for work and west to east (with a 6-hour time difference) is very rough. Not only do you have a long plane ride(s) with possible layovers, you have an earlier and shorter day to get a good night's sleep. Especially for student-athletes coming from balmy southern California, the November and December games in the Midwest are going to be freezing. The occasional game isn't too bad but when you're talking about multiple league games .... 

Source: My own personal experience of flying from Hawaii to DC and taking an military PT test at midnight my time in December snow.  The temperature difference was about 70 degrees. Needless to say, I didn't perform my best.

• Thumbs Up 2

I must be an outlier....or is an that an out, and out liar? 😉

I usually found the west to east trip pretty easy to deal with, with the exception of 8am Eastern meeting start times(5am Pacific). Which meant getting out of bed at 3am. Evening social times that ended around midnight were 9pm to my mind/body.

The trip back west really messed with my body clock. I found that if I could sleep most of the flight back home that I wasn't so fatigued the next day.

If I was a football coach, 9am-noon kickoff's in the Eastern time zone would be a non-negotiable start.

• Applause 1

I'm with the East to West  being easier. I've had the worst jet lag going from Oregon to CT.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1