Notalot

Stanford and Cal With No Ducks?

Sirius ESPNU radio show Full Ride today talked about Media days saying the following,

Chris Childers said "Kliavkoff was walking around like his best pig died at the county fair".

He added further that, Kevin Warren was the happiest guy there and "dancing around like a little kid".

Childers predicted that Warren and the Big Ten will expand with Stanford and Cal within two years. He reasoned that (1) Notre Dame is the ultimate prize, and Notre Dame's scheduling fits best with USC and Stanford, (2) Two more California schools fit best with USC and UCLA in the expanded B1G (3) Oregon and Washington do not help attract Notre Dame like Cal and Stanford do.

• Yikes! 1

What an idiot he does not know his rear from2nd base.  Cal brings nothing to the table that's why the governor is creating all the problems for the supposed UCLA move and threatening to force UCLA to give half of what they receive annually to Cal.  ND does not need any group or anybody.  They have their cake and are continuing to eat it.  Their deal with the ACC is that they play 5 ACC teams annually (of their choice) they are full members of the ACC in all other sports.  They keep 100% of all broadcast revenues for all football games which are on NBC and they have exclusivity with NBC, they also receive some additional broadcast revenues from the ACC.

Regardless of what happens Notre Dame is not going to be left out in the cold, you can bet on that.  They are annually the #! college football TV draw.

If the Big 10 does expand again most likely they would take Washington and Oregon, and I could see them taking Stanford.  Cal has poor fan base, an AD with a huge debt (same as UCLA).  It's amazing how poorly Stanford and Cal draw in the Bay Area.  When I was in business in the Bay Area in Silicon Valley I never went to a Stanford game.  Why I can't tell you, but college football did not seem to be a topic that was that discussed.  Stanford drew well against Notre Dame, USC, Cal and to an extent Oregon, but as most know their new stadium holds almost 40,000 less than the old one did, that has to tell you something.

There are so many analysts making contradicting predictions in conference realignments makes your head spin.  None of them, I am sure, knows anything.  This one for example which was mentioned before at least makes sense.

gettyimages-846634858-594x594-1.jpg
WWW.ON3.COM

Everyone discussing it. Everyone has a source. Everyone knows what’s going to happen with conference realignment. Except they don’t. I finally am starting to see news hit on Twitter that actually...

Edited by NJDuck
  • Great post! 1

Yes. It sort of reminds one of the feeding frenzy of opinions among weather analysts prior to landfall of a hurricane.

• Haha 2

Yah I prefer the Notre Dame to make the PAC-10 into the PAC-11 rumor I started. It could happen.........

• Cool 1
  • Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

The Bay Area sounds like a fantastic media market. 

Except it's all about pro-sports. They have the 49ers and the Warriors ... There are still Raiders fans there as well. 

And just a bit farther out you have the Sacramento Kings. 

You look at the stadiums for both Cal and Stanford and they are quiet and never really look full. 

If there are that many open seats for a live game then imagine how much fan passion there is for those teams via TV viewing numbers. 

Stanford makes more sense than Cal for NDs sake. 

But even though Oregon's media market isn't as good as the Bay Area, Oregon eclipses both in terms of national branding. 

The only reason to bring Cal along would be to pacify the CSU board of regents and get UCLA off the hook.  

I could see Stanford going ahead of the Ducks, but Cal?  Not likely IMHO.

On 8/1/2022 at 3:36 PM, noDucknewby said:

The only reason to bring Cal along would be to pacify the CSU board of regents and get UCLA off the hook.  

I could see Stanford going ahead of the Ducks, but Cal?  Not likely IMHO.

Cal is the lead school in the University of California system (it was the system as just the University of California, hence Cal).  CSU is a different and far less powerful university system.  

With that said, Cal and Stanford make a ton of sense as it locks up the rest of the California market that matters.  And they are respectively the best universities in their class which matters to the B1G.  

Ultimately I think Cal, Stanford, UW, and the Ducks go as that gives the B1G a monopoly on the west coast as well as nighttime football inventory 

• Thumbs Up 1

CalBear I stand corrected on the CSU/UC distinction, and I'm not denying Cals academic credentials. I speculated on an earlier thread that Cal and Stanford would get invites, I'm just saying it's unlikely they get invited before UO/WU. 

Edited by noDucknewby

On 8/1/2022 at 3:36 PM, noDucknewby said:

Deleting as accidental duplicate

Edited by CalBear95

I think it's interesting that the focus seems to be on markets vs actual viewership.  Who cares if the bay area is a big market when nobody in that area watches Cal and/or Stanford live or on tv. 

I don't think Cal gets an invite if ND joins the B1G. 

On 8/1/2022 at 6:20 PM, noDucknewby said:

CalBear I stand corrected on the CSU/UC distinction, and I'm not denying Cals academic credentials. I speculated on an earlier thread that Cal and Stanford would get invites, I'm just saying it's unlikely they get invited before UO/WU. 

Sorry the UC/CSU came across as defensive.  I didn’t mean it to be anything other than an FYI

I don’t think UW or Oregon jump the Bay Area schools as, from a market perspective that would not make sense.  I suspect they all get invited at the same time so as to avoid defections from the perception of being ‘passed over’ yet again and concluding it just isn’t going to happen in the near future so tie onto X conference for Y years

On 8/1/2022 at 11:40 AM, mrspenney said:

When I was in business in the Bay Area in Silicon Valley I never went to a Stanford game

I lived in the Bay Area from '99 - '05, and never went to a game at either Cal or Stanford. Hell, the only College Football game I went to was the Inaugural Silicon Valley Bowl.  What a stinker.