Jump to content
Pennsylvania Duck

George Kliavkoff: USC and UCLA are Regretting Decision to Go to Big Ten

Recommended Posts

He makes an interesting comment about the Oklahoma and Texas departures...how long it took to resolve all the issues of being tied to other schools.

 

 

AA106JFO.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l
WWW.MSN.COM

Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff has not held back when speaking about USC and UCLA leaving the Pac-12

 

  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this opposing view to above article you may be interested in. Good to see both sides.

 

AA10c3pk.img?h=315&w=600&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=
WWW.MSN.COM

Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff believes USC and UCLA willregret leaving for Big Ten. George Kliavkoff is not exactly...

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think George is putting out alot of bluster and "wishful thinking"

 

He's in a tough spot, gotta try and spin it to the positive 

 

Just not sure I believe him

 

Playing defense 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think they'll regret their decision.... Or at least those who actually have to travel... Namely the athletes and coaches. 

 

I also can see the fan base being pretty unhappy with it in the long run. 

 

Short run the USC fans will lord it over us and say Oregon is dead and laugh at us. But we'll see how happy they are when they are irrelevant in the B1G. 

  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well clearly the gloves are off.  Not sure I agree with him, but at least he's scrapping for the conference instead of sipping Dom Perignon on a chartered flight to his $7K night hotel suite.

 

He's also hinting that UO may have trouble getting to the B1G without little brother.  Pretty clever.

  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 5:32 PM, David Marsh said:

I do think they'll regret their decision.... Or at least those who actually have to travel... Namely the athletes and coaches. 

 

I also can see the fan base being pretty unhappy with it in the long run. 

 

Short run the USC fans will lord it over us and say Oregon is dead and laugh at us. But we'll see how happy they are when they are irrelevant in the B1G. 

I don’t think they’ll be irrelevant. The Big 10 West is Wisconsin and a bunch of cupcakes. USC will probably play in the championship game most years. They may also win their share of B1G titles. I don’t think Day is any better than Riley when it comes to coaching and recruiting. They’ll be even from a talent standpoint in a few years. I just don’t think it will happen immediately like all the pundits say.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 4:59 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I don’t think they’ll be irrelevant. The Big 10 West is Wisconsin and a bunch of cupcakes. USC will probably play in the championship game most years. They may also win their share of B1G titles. I don’t think Day is any better than Riley when it comes to coaching and recruiting. They’ll be even from a talent standpoint in a few years. I just don’t think it will happen immediately like all the pundits say.

I believe the B1G is also planning on doing away with divisions as the deciding factor as to who makes the conference championship game. 

 

As it stands the B1G west would be favorable to USC but if it's just the top two teams in the conference then they'll have to ensure they are better than Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Penn State. Or at least better than all but one of those. 

 

As it stands right now I think USC and Nebraska are on a relatively equal playing field. Nebraska is better than their record from last year. 

 

Then throw in all of that travel exhaustion and having to play half their conference games in some chilly conditions. Sure they play at Notre Dame every other year as it stands but that's just one game.

 

Even the pros say that travel is the hardest part of the sport. And that's professionals who do it as their only job. Until things change, student athletes still have to be students at least part of the time to be able to compete. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, sc and ucla have declared they do not give a rat's behind about all sports athletes traveling 3 times zones away constantly to compete.

 

GK mentioned he has already heard them complaining.  This will help olympic sport recruiting for the rest of the Conference of Champions.

 

Also, funny quotes in the second article ...

 

     #1= "Plus, the Bruins have shown historically that when they have the right head coach, they can field a top-25-caliber college football team as well. " Terry Donahue is not coming back and Chip ain't the guy.

 

     #2 = "there is no way the Bruins or Trojans will regret this decision."  No way to know this.  Ucla will never be relevant in FB and might have to share their $$ with Cal.  Plus in a few years CFB will have changed anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 5:31 PM, Steven A said:

Well, sc and ucla have declared they do not give a rat's behind about all sports athletes traveling 3 times zones away constantly to compete.

 

GK mentioned he has already heard them complaining.  This will help olympic sport recruiting for the rest of the Conference of Champions.

 

Also, funny quotes in the second article ...

 

     #1= "Plus, the Bruins have shown historically that when they have the right head coach, they can field a top-25-caliber college football team as well. " Terry Donahue is not coming back and Chip ain't the guy.

 

     #2 = "there is no way the Bruins or Trojans will regret this decision."  No way to know this.  Ucla will never be relevant in FB and might have to share their $$ with Cal.  Plus in a few years CFB will have changed anyway.

To me what stood out from the B1G article---For USC, they are the preeminent football brand out west.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...
Top