HawaiiDuck

Stanford's David Shaw Says Conference Realignment Wiill 'Self-Correct' with Geography in Mind

Would that even work? Should we take them back or go on to either B1G or SEC ourselves? I don't know. I believe if they came back we would still be a 2nd tier conference.

In that case the best scenario I've seen so far is the the west coast pod of USC, UCLA, Stan, Cal, OR, UW in the B1G.

On 8/2/2022 at 8:19 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Would that even work? Should we take them back or go on to either B1G or SEC ourselves? I don't know. I believe if they came back we would still be a 2nd tier conference.

In that case the best scenario I've seen so far is the the west coast pod of USC, UCLA, Stan, Cal, OR, UW in the B1G.

It's really hard to say.  Everyone seems to be chasing the money right now.  

The west coast pod of USC, UCLA, Stan, Cal, OR, UW in the B1G would probably be the best for scheduling but I think there's going to be a lot of ruckus from OSU and WSU about being left behind. 

• Thanks 1

I think Shaw is far too optimistic. The very last thing given up will be the big money. Schools will do anything (including getting rid of all sports not making money) first. 

On 8/2/2022 at 8:13 PM, HawaiiDuck said:

The west coast pod of USC, UCLA, Stan, Cal, OR, UW in the B1G would probably be the best for scheduling but I think there's going to be a lot of ruckus from OSU and WSU about being left behind. 

I think WSU, OSU, Utah, and Colorado could all end up in the Big12 in this scenario.

• Cool 1

Shaw may be wearing rose-tinted glasses, but his big picture analysis based on geography’s gravitational pull has merit: over time, things tend to go full circle and return to from whence they came.

For my money, I think it’s premature as yet to give too much weight to the super-conference and cable tv power brokers’ ability to alter everything that stands in their way. There are quite a few parties yet to be heard from who are keeping their own council as they watch and listen to these arrogant and hubris-laden attempts to bulldoze the sacred territory and traditions of others.

• Great post! 1

He makes some good points. In the end geography will matter. I think he is also thinking more long term, which almost no one else is doing now.

There are other issues with the Cali. schools, going east will eventually mean travel issues, no matter what the money involved is.

There are more than just football teams involved. All the non-revenue sport will have to travel too. That will mean big money for travel, fatigue for the athletes, time issues, academic issues... 

Will this be enough to overcome the billionaire media moguls determined to get their way no matter what? Who knows at this point, but it will be interesting to watch.

I am suspecting that conferences will differ according to which sport it is. Non-revenue sports my need to be more geographically based. While football and basketball can spread out more.

• Go Ducks! 1