sad BIG12 fan

Houston & TCU

Heard that Houston & TCU would consider a PAC invite. 

I wonder if Houston would have to pay the $80 million exit fee?

But if the PAC12 lands Houston & TCU I would assume 4 more schools would be invite. TECH? OSU? BAYLOR? KANSAS? 

I just dont see those schools spending $80 if there is no GOR. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

San Diego state is coming to the PAC. Thats a market, in SoCal, you don't ignore. Then TCU, Tech, OSU, and Baylor. After those 4, decide if you are going to 20-24. Kansas, UNLV, BSU, SMU. Thats 21. Houston makes 22. Who else do you invite? FSU? If so, that leaves one left for 24.

This would wrap up the Seattle, Portland/Vancouver, San Francisco, San Diego, squeeze into LA, Houston, Denver, DFW, Las Vegas, and Oklahoma markets. It's not the B1G, but it's a Power Conference heavy weight. 

Football would be no slouch, but BBall would be tremendous. Contenders no doubt. You could still have 4 pods with regional ties and 1 crossover from each pod per year. 1 money game and 1-2 T-ups to warm up for the season. This would preserve the PAC and close the door to the raiding from other conferences. It just might add some decent value as well.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:52 AM, 1Funduck said:

San Diego state is coming to the PAC. Thats a market, in SoCal, you don't ignore. Then TCU, Tech, OSU, and Baylor. After those 4, decide if you are going to 20-24. Kansas, UNLV, BSU, SMU. Thats 21. Houston makes 22. Who else do you invite? FSU? If so, that leaves one left for 24.

This would wrap up the Seattle, Portland/Vancouver, San Francisco, San Diego, squeeze into LA, Houston, Denver, DFW, Las Vegas, and Oklahoma markets. It's not the B1G, but it's a Power Conference heavy weight. 

Football would be no slouch, but BBall would be tremendous. Contenders no doubt. You could still have 4 pods with regional ties and 1 crossover from each pod per year. 1 money game and 1-2 T-ups to warm up for the season. This would preserve the PAC and close the door to the raiding from other conferences. It just might add some decent value as well.

Instead of BSU I would invite BYU.  They are good in athletics and ranked #21 in academics amongst colleges.  They have a great fan base as well as a big rival with Utah.  Or keep both and invite either Cincinnati, UCF or WV.  These 3 schools might be too far geographically to work.  But who knows.

The issue with this, would it draw enough finances for each school to be worth it?  I hate what is happening to College sports.

Which is the better way for Oregon?  Go to the Big 10 if invited or stay and form a super conference with other schools?  Both ways has issues to consider.

If Oregon has a choice they would go to the Big 10.  it's where the money is as well as getting to the playoffs or to a New Year 6 bowl.

Edited by NJDuck

On 8/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, NJDuck said:

The issue with this, would it draw enough finances for each school to be worth it.

This is the biggest worry. It's great to think about expanding the conference, but I don't think the dollars split so many ways is going to be enough to make each school grow. The main reason these schools are left behind is their media market doesn't add value. 

• Applause 1

Yes, but it would add the value of recruiting footprint in TX. How much of a value would that be and is there a way to quantify it?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/2/2022 at 2:31 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Yes, but it would add the value of recruiting footprint in TX. How much of a value would that be and is there a way to quantify it?

I'm afraid that having a recruiting footprint in TX doesn't necessarily bring in the dollars. Dollars are needed to grow the team and also maintain all the other sports. It seems in today's market, a media footprint is what brings in the money. I hate how media is controlling our sports life.

• Thanks 1

With our connection with PK and Nike and our other influential donors, wouldn't it bring in the extra dollars we will need to stay competitive?

This is how it's worked so far. I don't know how long it's been, but we have been working with less than the big boys for a while haven't we?

Also couldn't the state pay for the other sports along with some commercial tie-ins? Just something to ponder.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:49 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

This is the biggest worry. It's great to think about expanding the conference, but I don't think the dollars split so many ways is going to be enough to make each school grow. The main reason these schools are left behind is their media market doesn't add value. 

Baylor, Ok State, and TCU would pull the viewership average of the PAC up.  Houston wouldn't at first but would likely get there.  I can't answer the question of if a media outlet would increase the per school payout or not if they joined.  I will say this; those four schools would outperform AU, ASU, CU, WSU, and Or State.  They would also outperform Cal but...Cal is in california so that may add value.

Also, stability is worth a TON.  And I don't think there's any doubt that adding those school would provide stability.

Not sure what the problem would be.

Just adding Houston and TCU/Baylor/TT and San Diego St. for S. Cal. would put the PAC in 8 of the top 20 markets in the country. With Portland at #21 that's 9 or the top 21.

An expansion into Texas makes a lot of sense from a marketing point of view, if they can make it happen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2022 at 3:16 PM, OhioDuck said:

Not sure what the problem would be.

Just adding Houston and TCU/Baylor/TT and San Diego St. for S. Cal. would put the PAC in 8 of the top 20 markets in the country. With Portland at #21 that's 9 or the top 21.

An expansion into Texas makes a lot of sense from a marketing point of view, if they can make it happen. 

I know that markets matter because of potential upside, but oSu has more alums in the DFW metroplex than TCU or Baylor.  Just look at last years XII championship game in Dallas at Jerry World.  At least 55-60% of the crowd was in orange.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember years and years and years ago there were Duck fans who wanted Oregon to switch to the Mountain West Conference, I think it was, so that the Ducks "could win more often." My, how times have changed. 🙂

• Mic drop 1

I don't believe we need a footprint in any state as regards to recruiting. Oregon has been to 2 NC games and won a handful of PAC titles in the last 12-15 years without it. IMO, footprint is only about TV revenue. 

Another point, after much consideration, Oregon would be best served staying in the PAC. We don't need more money, we have PK and PK amongst many others. Remaining in the PAC is an easier road to an undefeated season.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2022 at 3:54 PM, 1Funduck said:

Another point, after much consideration, Oregon would be best served staying in the PAC. We don't need more money, we have PK and PK amongst many others. Remaining in the PAC is an easier road to an undefeated season.

Agreed.  Imagine PK endows the athletic dept with 5% of his net worth and that endowment returns 5%.  Any media rights shortage is basically pocket change.