Charles Fischer

Tired of Realignment, Portal, & NIL? Ready for Some FOOTBALL?

My FishDuck Friends...while keeping up with that stuff passes the time until the season begins--it gets tiring thinking about all the variables, and the direction things are headed.  What you need is NOT more Cow-Bell, but Oregon Football!

Starting tomorrow...you are getting a feast of it as yours-truly has written six articles for August, but DazeNconfused has written a blockbuster ten articles for August, and they are ALL-FOOTBALL!

Whew!

We are going to be READY for this season!

Forum Only The Duck.jpg

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Football? 

I was under the impression that we gave up football for pure recruiting all the time. 

Sometimes I think all the fan base cares about, especially on the pay sites, is recruiting. 

I for one am ready for the off-season to be over so we can watch the Dan Lanning era. 

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

YESSSSS I am so ready!!!

• Applause 1

Hey David, 

I profess to be surprised on perusing this board that many Duck fans are as obsessed about recruiting rankings as SEC fans.  Everyone is so stoked about landing a 5-star, yet it may interest some to know that a  fair number of such recruits end up playing far below their high school recruiting rankings in college.

I  get much more satisfaction out of the 3-stars who come in, work heir tails off for 3-4 years and end up being taken in the first three rounds of the NFL draft. Some coaching staffs are great at identifying these hidden jewels on a regular basis. Kirby Smart tells his incoming recruits that they all have 0 stars as college  entrants and how well they learn and practice is the primary factor determining how often they end up seeing the playing field for game action.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2022 at 10:36 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Hey David, 

I profess to be surprised on perusing this board that many Duck fans are as obsessed about recruiting rankings as SEC fans.  Everyone is so stoked about landing a 5-star, yet it may interest some to know that a  fair number of such recruits end up playing far below their high school recruiting rankings in college.

I  get much more satisfaction out of the 3-stars who come in, work heir tails off for 3-4 years and end up being taken in the first three rounds of the NFL draft. Some coaching staffs are great at identifying these hidden jewels on a regular basis. Kirby Smart tells his incoming recruits that they all have 0 stars as college  entrants and how well they learn and practice is the primary factor determining how often they end up seeing the playing field for game action.

I have thought about writing an article about the obsession with recruiting these days amongst the Oregon fan base but I never like how it looks... 

Cristobal changed everything about how recruiting is done at Oregon and what is possible. All of Oregon's recruiting history before Cristobal was about finding those diamonds in the rough. 

Arguably the two best quarterbacks to ever play at Oregon were three stars, Mariota and Herbert. We have such a long history of taking players with potential and turning them into super stars. 

Now recruiting rankings do matter... You look any of the national champions in the last couple of decades and they all meet the requirements of the blue chip ratio. .

But I do feel in the age of the transfer portal and NIL, finding those hidden gems will become all the more important because those are the players you can "get on the cheap" with old school recruiting methods of relationship building. 

Anthony-Brown-v-USC-2020-UO-Athletics-30
FISHDUCK.COM

The acquisition of talent is the lifeblood of every college athletic program. There is no denying that...

I look forward to the start of the season and those Saturday games in which every single one feels like an absolute treat. 

• Applause 2

I think everyone loves to find a good bargain, whether it's a great wine that's also inexpensive, a bargain air fare to someplace fun, or a Patrick Chung or Justin Herbert who comes out of nowhere to be a star.

But the reality is that the reason we love that is it's so rare.  

The simple fact is that the "hit rate" is far higher among 5 star players than among 4 star; among 4 star players than among 3 star, etc.  

The bargain approach is why I don't dismiss recruits who are only three stars - I figure the coaches know a lot more than I do and see a hidden gem, a great leader, a perfect scheme fit, etc.  But I also know that if we want to compete with Ohio State and Alabama, we have to have the players to do so - and the percentages are simply much greater with higher-rated players.  They're higher rated for a reason.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Charles has some great articles you won't want to miss and some of my articles actually play off or tie back into Charles articles. 

If you want to be up to speed on the Ducks personnel, schemes, matchups, and expectations, before the season kicks off then you will want to read these articles. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/2/2022 at 10:36 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I  get much more satisfaction out of the 3-stars who come in, work heir tails off for 3-4 years and end up being taken in the first three rounds of the NFL draft.

I'm not predicting Dorlus or Popo will be drafted in the first three rounds after this season, but they are 3-star guys who developed into all Pac guys.

• Applause 1