FishDuck Article

Regarding Bo Nix: Beware ‘Bandwagon Buy-In’

Most of ABs completions were to his top receiver, Travis Dye in the backfield. Most of Dye's yards were carrying tacklers an extra 4-5 yards after contact. Both of these factors greatly contributed to elevating both AB's passing numbers and Mario's bland predictable offense.

• Yikes! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Thanks for the PM Krsmqn and looking out!

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

This has made for great reading. Agree with him or not,  DNC’s stats, analysis and conclusions brings out the best in our OBD forum. Welcome!

For all the talent/personality analysis, stats, comparisons, situations, and other variables, it all seems to boil down to one question: can an old dog learn new tricks?

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:16 AM, Washington Waddler said:

This has made for great reading. Agree with him or not,  DNC’s stats, analysis and conclusions brings out the best in our OBD forum. Welcome!

I agree completely. I'm going into this season overflowing with optimism. but until reading this article I really hadn't given much thought to how Nix would do.

That looks bad reading it back. But I think I was just so thankful that the Ducks would be running a new O, with an experienced QB, that with the D I'm expecting, the W's will come. I know I don't want Manziel 2.0, I didn't like the original. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm skeptical of Nix as well.

IMO, most impressive in the Spring Game was Butterfield.

Over (many) years of following college football, I've often been a fan of stats, ratings, and more recently some of the advanced metrics.

However, at some point you have to trust your eyeballs, and no matter what the statistics might suggest, AB was not good at passing component of the QB spot last season. 

You obviously should not read too much into a spring game plus a review of some highlight clips, but from the looks of it Nix is light years ahead of what we saw from AB with the forward pass.

AB was reasonably careful with the ball, good with his legs, and decent directing that jumbled mess of an offense Mario and Morehead threw out there each week. But he struggled mightily with anything other than a "gimmie" throw (and that wasn't even really automatic).

The plan (apparently) is for the Duck offense to add a modern down field passing component to this offense, so the Ducks will be better in that department, regardless of what numbers someone wants to throw up there, from what eyeballs tell me. The comments from Auburn fans about missing WRs on some types of vertical routes will be something to watch, but I would be pretty shocked to see it look like 2021.

As most discussion and analysis over the long off-season has focused upon, it's the killer mistakes and hard to explain decisions that will be the point of focus with Nix, not his ability to put a ball in the hands of an open receiver eight yards down field.

I'm hoping this isn't another season of "why isn't the coaching staff playing the backups? They have stars from high school recruiting gurus - so they must be way better than who the staff is deciding to play - what are the coaches doing?"

As much as many of us Duck fans don't want to hear it, AB most likely played because the coaching staff was confident he gave the team the best chance to do well last year. There was no one (at least no one ready) to ride in on a white horse and save the thing.

As painful as it is to suggest, I didn't really see anything in the Stony Brook, Arizona, and Colorado games and then the spring game that suggested TT was clearly gonna quickly get up to speed and ignite the season in 2021 (maybe down the road though). If Nix wins the spot this year - under a completely different staff- it probably won't be them becoming boneheads with the most important position on the field.

Finally, my guess would be the former Duck staff was probably a bit at a loss with AB as well. Watching some BC video myself and reading some analysis, Brown WAS a better QB in 2019 at BC. The guy many of us have probably have read an article or two from, who does in detail Duck game film breakdown (Hythloday1), wrote AB's decline as a passer from BC to Oregon "is the biggest mystery I've ever encountered as a film reviewer." One has to wonder how much of that has to be left at the feet of Mario and Moorhead?

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Manziel 2.0 may be the best guess. Hopefully he will have a better O-line, a few go to receivers, and make Nix magically become the Bo Throwing and Going Show!

We deserve it after the Brown Downs and Out show. At least I won't have my wife being able to predict the next play coming from our sideline.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2022 at 5:47 AM, Wrathis said:

The way I feel this year is still the same way I did last year which is, get our QB of the future the experience he needs to be able to lead the team to greatness...

Your whole post was solid, but I really agree with you on this part. If Nix can't make a jump, then it's next QB up! 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:40 AM, cartm25 said:

I'm skeptical of Nix as well.

IMO, most impressive in the Spring Games was Butterfield.

I liked how Butters showed he could get through the progressions to his check down to the running back. That means Butters can calmly run the offense and take what the defense gives him, take the positive play. Some plays just don't go into the coverage the defense ran that play.

Butters seems to have the confidence to take the check down and come get the defense on the next play.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:42 AM, AnotherOD said:

Brown WAS a better QB in 2019 at BC. The guy many of us have probably have read an article or two who does in detail Duck game film breakdown (Hythloday1) said AB's decline as a passer from BC to Oregon "is the biggest mystery I've ever encountered as a film reviewer." One has to wonder how much of that has to be left at the feet of Mario and Moorhead?

BC brought in Mike Bakakian as OC for AB,s junior year, he was the Tampa Bay Buc QB coach from 2015-2018. 

AB blew up under Bakakian in 2019 and his yards per completion was just outside the top 10 in FBS and his passer rating was inside the Top 20 of FBS. The Sporting News had AB as th3 #9 rated Transfer QB.

I'd say the blame has to go to Mario and Moorhead for AB's fall off.

• Whew! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm not buying into any hype.

But, I'm confident that between Bo, Ty, and Butters.... Our QB play will be far better than anything AB did. As long as this proves we'll be just fine.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:10 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

My biggest fear about the Ducks' season is that we'll waste a year finding out that Nix pretty much is who he showed he was at Auburn.  Are Butterfield or Thompson ready?  No idea.  But if we don't have a reliable QB1, this season is toast before it begins.

I'd rather have growing pains with one of the young guys and have a great QB for late in the season and next year, than spend much of the year watching Nix implode and then switching to one of the younger QBs when it's too late.  

Maybe Nix will start and be terrific.  I just fear otherwise given what he's shown in his career thus far.

Playing against SEC defenses like NIX has done is much harder than the Swiss cheese secondaries he will see this year in the PAC -12.    BO will do well in my opinion. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I can give you a list of top 10 college defenses Bo NIx has had to build stats against.  I can give you a list of college backs, who are now pros, NIX has thrown against.  Now tell me again who exactly has Thompson or Butterfield faced? 

Comparing QB stats is tricky.  You have to look at the competition.  Bo isn't facing future NFL starters on Defense every game in the PAC this year like he did in the SEC.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 8/3/2022 at 5:40 AM, Just Ducky said:

I’ve watched a fair amount of Bo Nix film and it seemed to me the pocket around him collapsed pretty fast. He was running for his life most of the time.

It was genius for DL to bring in Bo to face the Dogs rather than throwing our two young guns to the Wolves, I mean Dogs, for their first college start in a hostile environment. Bo has seen this many times so he is their best option out of the gate.

If he doesn’t get the job done a loss to Georgia isn’t going to ruin the Ducks season. What a great way to start the new guy against Eastern Washington at home before a date with BYU.

I may be reaching to high to think Bo will change but I have confidence that he can win in the pack. He did beat Alabama once and how many QBs are 500 against That group. A large portion of his losses are against highly ranked teams and Auburn has struggled with coaching changes his whole career so at least he has a familiar face in Dillingham.

I will drink🍸the Kool-Aid 😉😉 on this one.

He beat Alabama....enough said.  A reasonable person must accept BO played real defenses.  his stats in the Pac 12 would be off the charts against our defenses.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1

ANOTHER great article, DNC. I appreciate the fact that you don't just take a position that will please most of us diehard Duck fans. Your positions thus far have always been well-supported by extensive research. Clearly, from the number of comments, you're giving all of us something to think about and debate. Well done! Looking forward to your future articles.

By the way, DNC, did you ever live in the Watergate Apartments in the early 70s? 

Well, practice is just about to start and a starter has not been named yet. We are not even sure Nix will walk out and take the first snap. 

My best hope for this season has always been that the coaching staff will not be hesitant to pull a guy who is not having a good game.

If Nix starts, we have two guys who can come in and maybe they are hot that day when Nix isn't. 

My biggest problem with last year was that sometimes AB was playing just awful and the Ty and Butters didn't get a chance to come in and see what they could have done.

If Nix has those days, I hope they will let the other guys come in. There is no way they could have player worse than some of the games Brown had last year.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

We don’t necessarily need him to have any kind of blow out season, just improve enough to be above average. That in itself will provide enough offensive boost to provide a successful season.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

On 8/3/2022 at 11:15 AM, Pac10again said:

I can give you a list of top 10 college defenses Bo NIx has had to build stats against.  I can give you a list of college backs, who are now pros, NIX has thrown against.  Now tell me again who exactly has Thompson or Butterfield faced? 

Comparing QB stats is tricky.  You have to look at the competition.  Bo isn't facing future NFL starters on Defense every game in the PAC this year like he did in the SEC.

Here is a list of the SEC QB's the last two years who were better than Nix. Stenson Bennet, Kyle Trask, Felipe Franks, Kellen Mond, Hendon Hooker, Matt Coral and then Mac Jones and Bryce Young. 

How come all those other SEC QB's were better than Nix against that list of top 10 defenses and DB's who are now in the NFL?

Doesn't it seem to be a concern Nix was worse than all those SEC QB's?

That said it doesn't rule out the fact Nix could be good this year, but he has to prove it.

Edited by DazeNconfused

On 8/3/2022 at 12:02 PM, kirklandduck said:

We don’t necessarily need him to have any kind of blow out season, just improve enough to be above average. That in itself will provide enough offensive boost to provide a successful season.

Improve good enough to keep Ty and Butters off the field is the minimum he must do.

On 8/3/2022 at 11:24 AM, WiseKwacker said:

By the way, DNC, did you ever live in the Watergate Apartments in the early 70s? 

No Sir.

I will trust our coaches with who will be our best chance to win, which is the most important thing after all. 

I wonder what the talent level of the OL to block, WR to run routes, and competition played was for the QBs that were named as better than Bo last year? Wouldn't that matter in the analysis? Were they also dealing with new coaches? If he was that bad why did he start for 3 yrs?

Camp is just starting. All the QBs will have a chance to grab the bull by the horns and win the job. That's the only stat that matters to me.

Go Ducks Fly High!

30 days and counting!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure when I ever wanted a writer to be more wrong.

However, if Daze is correct, then we should see early on how the QB room will be managed under Lanning.

On 8/3/2022 at 2:47 PM, Steven A said:

I'm not sure when I ever wanted a writer to be more wrong.

Hey Steven A, I can't see real good...is that Bill Shakespeare over there? From what I've heard, DZNC has been using that paper not for writing, but for rolling doobies!MattFoley.jfif

• Haha 1

Thank you so much for this article.  Having great analyzes about our team and coaches brings a healthy perspective entering into the season.

Edited by NJDuck

On 8/3/2022 at 5:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Nix has never been as good as Anthony Brown was even last year...why should we think he'll be the solution at QB?

Bo-Nix-2_From-Twitter-300x300-cropped.pn
FISHDUCK.COM

Bo Nix was a highly touted five-star recruit, a player that draws mixed emotions from fans. Will Oregon offensive coordinator...

Great article DazeNconfused!!! You have inspired many interesting and enjoyable posts to read.  It’s awesome to see a thread have so many contributors interacting.  

Excellent work O Dazed One. I feared what you uncovered was true but after the Anthony Brown experience, I couldn't bring myself to dive into the question. Sunny side: If Nix turns into 40 miles of bad road, we will have a chance to grade our new coaches on two levels. First, we will see if they have the courage to pull him from a game and try someone new--as Rich Brooks, Mike Bellotti and Chip Kelly would. Second, will Thompson or Butterfield be ready to roll...has the new staff done a better job of developing their  immense talents than the coaches under Cristobal. 

Cristobal stuck with AB beyond all reason, arguing that neither backup QB could do better. Cristobal also was risk averse.

Compare that to, say, Bellotti. He developed quarterbacks. He took risks. He yanked A.J. Feeley, who went on to more than a decade in the NFL, and put in Joey Harrington, who promptly led a heroic comeback to beat Arizona State and became the starter. The coaches had developed two future NFL quarterbacks on same team--and Bellotti wasn't afraid to pull the terrific veteran for the promising kid. 

That's a head coach.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I too really enjoyed DNC's perspective on this. Great points and counterpoints in the subsequent posts. My two bits:

In comparing Nix to AB, I don't think statistics tell the whole story. Both QBs have had 'wow' moments and 'OMG, why did he do that?' moments. Re-watched the Stanford game (yes, I saved it, masochist that I am) and AB frequently underthrew, overthrew, threw behind and to the wrong dude (the DB).

It looked like someone had replaced the QB we saw at tOSU (re-watched that one too for comparison) with an out of sync hologram. Granted a lot of players contributed to that debacle, and Moorhead was in an ICU with half his colon in a bag, but in that 1st half AB was abysmal. MC trying to be a HC and OC was just as bad, but that's a whole different topic.

In 2022 Nix will face Georgia, but not Alabama, TA$M, Arkansas, Tennessee and Kentucky (all ESPN top 25 teams). The only ESPN top 25 opponents in the Pac12/10 are Utah and U$C. Currently neither the PAC or ACC is the SEC in terms of talent. Nix has played against more talent and tougher teams than AB did. In 2022 Oregon has a better O-line and arguably better offensive skill players than Auburn did the last two years.

And Nix looked pretty darn good in that spring game. I'm going to fall on the glass half full side of this discussion, unless the Georgia game is a disaster and blows my optimism all to hell.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/3/2022 at 5:30 AM, Jester said:

Perhaps my initial prediction of a four-loss regular season isn’t one to be scoffed at after all.     

Agree.  The expectations right now for this team seem to be completely out of touch with reality.  Maybe this article will help bring some of those expectations back down to earth a little.

I know I have said this before, but Oregon lost their leading passer, leading receiver, and leading rusher on offense.  They also lost the leader in sacks and interceptions on defense.  Combine that with a completely new coaching staff and this team is probably going to take some lumps this year.  Even with the talent we have on the roster right now, that is a HUGE amount of production to replace in a completely new system.   

Bo may not be "the guy" like this article claims, but where does that leave Ty and Butters after the spring game?  IIRC, Lanning's top priority in evaluating QBs is points per possession and Nix was WAY out in front of the other QBs in the spring game.    

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great article - so much fun.

I am not convinced Bo is the savior but my feeling from watching him at auburn a number of times each year is that he can play and can win in the right situation.  A couple of thoughts

He was playing against better teams lots of weeks - that won’t be the case this year.

MC screwed up a lot of things with Oregons offense, but he didn’t make AB miss wide open guys or force bad throws.  As a Ute, I would be fine to play AB again

The other two QB’s are so unproven, I would save them until (if) Bo sinks and then try to get a big lift giving one of them a shot.  

• Thumbs Up 5

On 8/3/2022 at 12:02 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Here is a list of the SEC QB's the last two years who were better than Nix. Stenson Bennet, Kyle Trask, Felipe Franks, Kellen Mond, Hendon Hooker, Matt Coral and then Mac Jones and Bryce Young. 

How come all those other SEC QB's were better than Nix against that list of top 10 defenses and DB's who are now in the NFL?

Doesn't it seem to be a concern Nix was worse than all those SEC QB's?

That said it doesn't rule out the fact Nix could be good this year, but he has to prove it.

Again, you have to factor in that bo nix was running for his life most games. STATS don't tell the entire story.  those other lines were much better than NIX's.  Receivers much better.  Put Mariota on those teams NIX played for, and he would not have won a Heisman.  Stats don't mean squat. And you are comparing SEC QB to each other.  I'm saying the defenders in the SEC are light years ahead of the PAC's. 

It will be like slow motion for Bo now.  Add a good offensive line and receivers like we have now, and the ingredients are there for a great season.  I'm far more worried about the defensive line and running backs than I am about BO. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I would agree Mario and Moorhead didn't make AB miss all those throws; but, it isn't really a stretch to suggest AB regressed significantly throwing the ball during his time at Oregon.

There really is tape from his time at BC that showed not only the ability to make all the necessary throws - but actually some consistency delivering down field play action bombs for the Eagles. Along with Jamie Newman, AB was a transfer QB target for the Duck staff 

[and just for the sake of getting the history down right, I don't think Bellotti actually exactly yanked AJ Feeley, but rather he hurt his throwing elbow around game five or six and tried to play through it, but developed elbow bursitis which left his throwing hand numb. It sort of just became clear he was having trouble handling/throwing the ball]

• Applause 1

On 8/3/2022 at 3:50 PM, Pac10again said:

Again, you have to factor in that bo nix was running for his life most games. STATS don't tell the entire story.  those other lines were much better than NIX's.  Receivers much better.  Put Mariota on those teams NIX played for, and he would not have won a Heisman.  Stats don't mean squat. And you are comparing SEC QB to each other.  I'm saying the defenders in the SEC are light years ahead of the PAC's. 

It will be like slow motion for Bo now.  Add a good offensive line and receivers like we have now, and the ingredients are there for a great season.  I'm far more worried about the defensive line and running backs than I am about BO. 

Lol. Now that is a post with conviction. I like it! 

So, we can put you down in the Bo Nix is going to kill it camp?

Actually, you have me a bit more worried now that we've established the SEC defenses are light years ahead of the Pac! 

On 8/3/2022 at 1:37 PM, GeotechDuck said:

Agree.  The expectations right now for this team seem to be completely out of touch with reality.  Maybe this article will help bring some of those expectations back down to earth a little.

I know I have said this before, but Oregon lost their leading passer, leading receiver, and leading rusher on offense.  They also lost the leader in sacks and interceptions on defense.  Combine that with a completely new coaching staff and this team is probably going to take some lumps this year.  Even with the talent we have on the roster right now, that is a HUGE amount of production to replace in a completely new system.   

Bo may not be "the guy" like this article claims, but where does that leave Ty and Butters after the spring game?  IIRC, Lanning's top priority in evaluating QBs is points per possession and Nix was WAY out in front of the other QBs in the spring game.    

This is a great post that hits on so many issues!

My Saturday article is addresses some of the questions you raised.

• Thanks 1

He had only 3 picks last yr for Auburn. That's not a lot going against those defenses.

As for his pick against us in the spring how much practice had he had with totally new players. I believe he also wanted to make something happen. He also had the pressure of showing us fans how good he is.

I believe all factors have to be considered when making a observation.

I'm not saying he's the greatest thing since sliced bread but we haven't even had 1 practice of fall camp. Let's let the process happen then see where we are.

On 8/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I liked how Butters showed he could get through the progressions to his check down to the running back. That means Butters can calmly run the offense and take what the defense gives him, take the positive play. Some plays just don't go into the coverage the defense ran that play.

Butters seems to have the confidence to take the check down and come get the defense on the next play.

Totally agree. He looked confident, calm, and in control . . . even if he threw a pick. He looks very natural and comfortable throwing the football.

• Go Ducks! 1

Seems like Brown's numbers were inflated because he was relegated to a lot of dinks and dunks due to his horrid accuracy past 10 yards.

I love his heart, guts, and attitude. He's one heck of a classy man. 

But I'm past ready for someone new.

Screenshot_20220803-211331_Fire TV.png

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/3/2022 at 9:19 PM, nw777b said:

Seems like Brown's numbers were inflated because he was relegated to a lot of dinks and dunks due to his horrid accuracy past 10 yards.

I love his heart, guts, and attitude. He's one heck of a classy man. 

But I'm past ready for someone new.

Screenshot_20220803-211331_Fire TV.png

I don't know what gave him the "yips" and caused him to miss so many throws at times. He played pretty good at the OSU game and that was like his peak. He was better with the deep balls at BC, much better. Then in the Alamo bowl in the second half he dropped some dimes on the long balls, so it doesn't really add up.

I personally would rather have brought one of our young QBs up to be the starter.  They have patiently been waiting.  I do blame the last regime on not being equip to handle and develop young QBs.

So Bo Nix stats for 3 seasons at Auburn overall:

628 CMP out of 1,057 ATT:  CMP% AVG 59.5%

Total YDS:  7,251, AVG 6.9

Total TDs:  39

Total INT:  16

He has a gunslinger mentality, but is a dual threat QB that can make things happen with his legs and arm.  Important in a KD offense, especially if he had to improvise to make things happen out of a broken play, etc. Marcus was very good with this to make a play successful.

Maybe with good protection from our experience front line will give him more time to be more calculated in his passing game.

Sorry if this might have been already posted.  I thought this Bio profile and scouting report was helpful.  Talks about his strengths and weaknesses:

Bo-Nix-QB-Auburn.png
WWW.NFLDRAFTBUZZ.COM

NFL Draft 2023 Scouting report for Auburn Quarterback Bo Nix , Forty yard times, Twitter feeds and Combine Workouts

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2022 at 11:47 AM, NJDuck said:

I personally would rather have brought one of our young QBs up to be the starter.  They have patiently been waiting.  I do blame the last regime on not being equip to handle and develop young QBs.

So Bo Nix stats for 3 seasons at Auburn overall:

628 CMP out of 1,057 ATT:  CMP% AVG 59.5%

Total YDS:  7,251, AVG 6.9

Total TDs:  39

Total INT:  16

He has a gunslinger mentality, but is a dual threat QB that can make things happen with his legs and arm.  Important in a KD offense, especially if he had to improvise to make things happen out of a broken play, etc. Marcus was very good with this to make a play successful.

Maybe with good protection from our experience front line will give him more time to be more calculated in his passing game.

Sorry if this might have been already posted.  I thought this Bio profile and scouting report was helpful.  Talks about his strengths and weaknesses:

Bo-Nix-QB-Auburn.png
WWW.NFLDRAFTBUZZ.COM

NFL Draft 2023 Scouting report for Auburn Quarterback Bo Nix , Forty yard times, Twitter feeds and Combine Workouts

Thanks this analysis is very helpful and not as gloomy as the original post here.

It is easy to concentrate on the negatives of a player, especially someone like Bo.

Playing at Auburn is not easy, the expectations are way high compared to the strength of the program. Especially considering they are always playing in the shadow of their next door neighbor in Tuscaloosa.

Bo's numbers are no spectacular, but they are solid. When you consider that his offensive line was often outplayed by the other teams defensive line his number aren't bad at all. 

Also, he was actually having his best year before injury last year. 

As for comparisons to AB. I will look to the eye test. I've seen Bo play several times for Auburn often against very good competition (Alabama 3 times). 

I've never seen Bo look as bad as AB did against Stanford or both games vs. Utah. Never.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

- No offense is successful if the running game sucks and OL is awful. They were flat out terrible against teams like Georgia, Bama etc. where the kid was pressured on literally almost 50% of his passes.

- Not many QB's are great running for their life, throwing off platform in that offense against man. 

- Promoting Chad Morris as some sort of savant that could only fail if his QB stunk isn't accurate at all. He failed at Arkansas, wasn't the OC at Clemson when they won the natty and currently an analyst at USF so not exactly seen as OC savant by his peers. No, using that as the justifiable component isn't really determinative of how Bo will fair. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are pretty serious differences between a college QB and an MLB pitcher.

What I mean by that is that a college QBs stats are comingled with the stats of every other player on the field.

Stats and baseball go hand in hand like peanut butter and chocolate but it's just not true for QBs. 

The reason is that each pitch in baseball is a duel between the pitcher and the batter.  There are also enough games played to get enough of a sample size to draw relevant conclusions from the resulting statistics.

Football is a completely different game especially for the QB as the outcome of each pass depends heavily on most of the other players on the field.  There might be a few players in that moment that have no chance to impact the outcome of the pass but most of the players can.

Especially the offensive line and when I watch Auburn film with Bo I see pretty terrible O-line play.  That put Auburn in the position to throw in a hurry alot.  I also don't see a coaching staff that makes the schematic adjustments needed for poor play at scrimmage.

I don't know how Bo will do this year to be honest but I don't think playing for KD was the reason he transferred to Oregon.  I think KD called Bo and said the plan was to install his offense with Oregon's playmakers BEHIND Oregon's current O-line.

The first thing Bo did when he got to Oregon was take the O-line out to dinner.  What do you think they talked about?  I'm just guessing here but I would bet a Beer that he told them they were the reason he transferred to Oregon.  He can't say that in public of course as it would be deeply disrespectful to the Auburn O-line.  

So in closing I don't buy the stats argument and looking at film I see a gunslinger who has what it takes to dish the ball to playmakers that are really excited to make magic happen.  We will know a lot more after Georgia.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Look guys it's an opinion piece. My opinion is that Bo Nix hasn't been very good. If that bothers you, then I'm sorry. 

But I'm hoping Nix has a great year, I'm not looking to be proven right! Go Ducks!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

To WickedGreen, Duck Fan 76 and the forum:

I want disagreement, as the discussion helps us all become better fans. But what I see above are two posts that could have transmitted the same disagreement without a "put-down" tone within it.  We do not allow that here.

Again--disagreement is great, but disparaging a writer or a fellow forum member in the process is not allowed.  On this forum you state your opinion, your facts or your line of reasoning; that is it.  We do not get snarky, sarcastic, or mock a writer or a fellow member of the OBD forum.

Do not respond to this post.  You will be contacted by email and you can discuss it with me there.  It was important that the rest of the site know that those kind of posts are not cool here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think bringing in Nix gives the new coaching staff a solid floor at QB with only unproven backups on the roster. I see that as a solid move. Hopefully, one of the three QBs lives up to the five star billing by seasons end.

Sometimes honest reporting/ opinion can be a Debbie Downer but without it well…  just look at the fuskie perpetual delusion and you can see where that can lead. 

Way to keep it real Daze. Keep bringing the honest perspective.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2022 at 5:27 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Sometimes honest reporting/ opinion can be a Debbie Downer

I want Critical Analysis here, where we are not suck-ups/cheerleaders, nor are we Eeyore at every turn.  We have sloshed a lot of candy in the direction of the football team this summer and both DZC and I will be doing more.

Often times writers will create a piece that I flinch at because I disagree, but I want those articles.  They make us better, more informed fans, and you won't see them at other sites.

We haven't been Eeyore this summer at FishDuck...not with only one article.

Eeyore.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/4/2022 at 5:27 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think bringing in Nix gives the new coaching staff a solid floor at QB with only unproven backups on the roster. I see that as a solid move. Hopefully, one of the three QBs lives up to the five star billing by seasons end.

Sometimes honest reporting/ opinion can be a Debbie Downer but without it well…  just look at the fuskie perpetual delusion and you can see where that can lead. 

Way to keep it real Daze. Keep bringing the honest perspective.

Thanks, TKK! 

I think Nix with all his game experience HAS to be the game one starter. We got to give Nix a shot being back in Dillys system to see how he does having Cardwell as a feature back, our strong Oline, WR talent. 

It could be that Bo takes his game to a higher level and I will be the first to give him credit. If he struggles, then I'm sure we will have that discussion.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 4

It's always fun to work with a guy who writes such interesting articles. Keep up the good work, Daze!

On 8/4/2022 at 7:07 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Look guys it's an opinion piece. My opinion is that Bo Nix hasn't been very good. If that bothers you, then I'm sorry. 

But I'm hoping Nix has a great year, I'm not looking to be proven right! Go Ducks!

DNC, There is absolutely no reason to say your sorry in this. I appreciate the writing just refuted your slant with my own slant. Differing opinions are good.  It is an opinion piece and Bo could very well suck. He has no excuse here. I played for many years so there are stats I pay attention too but the variables are just as important. I'm making excuses for him where your not and playing it tight...Just my read but keep in mind, if people respond, good or bad...The article is still good.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2022 at 5:07 PM, DazeNconfused said:

My opinion is that Bo Nix hasn't been very good

That is certainly a fair comment.  Sorry you got rolled over by the bandwagon, if you do prove right then it's likely we will see Thompson this year at some point.

My point was simply that when I give his film the eye test I see him rushing balls in there to create momentum from thin air.

If he's doing that this season we're in real trouble but if he gets the reads right and is throwing most of the time with solid footing he looks very capable.

We SHOULD remember if Bo looks awesome to send plenty of love to the rest of the offense that makes that possible for him.