FishDuck Article

Will Henry To’oto’o Please Fix Our Defense?

Henry To’oto’o has been a star at Tennessee. Unfortunately for the Vol’s, the rest of the team hasn’t matched his ability over the last few years and they find themselves in search of a coach. For To’oto’o, that was enough to put his name in the transfer portal. It looks more and more likely that the linebacker might just end up ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

For some reason I haven't thought of our linebacking group as the defense's problem for 2021. With all of the much hailed "stars" we have back there and in there second season, who would think it.

I have always thought our DL was the weak spot not liinebacker. Henry To'oto'o sounds like a great get for the Ducks and it would be good to have him in the linebacker house but saying he is the fix for our defensive woe's might be a stretch.  

I'm not smart enough to dissect a defense to that level. But it has been my observation that our defense wasn't that bad and just smacked of inexperience. I don't remember ever getting the ball thrown on us. The middle seemed a bit soft in the passing game. I chalked that up to all the DB's that opted out. Our Defensive backfield was coming in as the 'Old Man' in all of CFB. Now it was littered with relative youth. Run game? I guess I can get on board with that. LB's are essential to stopping the run.

But, I would argue that our D line and LB's played really well but inexperienced. They were harassing USC's backfield all night in the Championship game. But, I won't turn my nose up on a Freshman of the year in the SEC. And, competition makes players on a team that much better. Flowe, Sewell, and ToTo? Puh'leeze! Funa, Lil' Flowe, Brown? That's a Ton of Youth.

By default, this squad is going to be lethal to an offense. Just get us a Spring and Fall camp to develop these kids in the scheme. Oh, I want JTT as well. Thought I would throw in a little plug..😁

Ah Ryan....great article and so timely for us.  You had me at "Troy Dye" and I could not help but think of the analysis by Coach Boles recently of how the SAM linebacker needs to be "a big safety" in the DeRuyter defense.  You can check the article again here, and ponder the fit of Henry into that role and perhaps that is where Oregon sees him?

It is funny how when Troy Dye was signed with Oregon...he was just another 3-Star safety listed here that Oregon would check to see if there was "potential."  Henry could be a good fit in the new defense-agree?

Troy Dye stops_Tom Corno.jpg

Troy Dye flattens Wisconsin....

Mr. FishDuck

I'm sure we would all be overjoyed if somehow troy Dye was still here. If To'oto'o can come even close to replicating Dye, than he definitely is answering the call. Wherever he is positioned, he would make the defense better.

• Thanks 1

With To'oto'o, love that name, and a more experienced LB crew we just might start looking more like the LB program I predicted months ago. Oregon just might become linebacker U with this addition.

Last season Sewell showed amazing talent, but his intensity needs to come under control. He flew by a few tackles he will wrap up with more coaching and practice. I can't wait to see Noah's potential with a more refined approach.

Justin Flowe, the second highest rated recruit in program history, will be an amazing addition when he becomes healthy. 

The competition for playing time is going to lead to even more transfers, but an incredible LB crew! This crew will be like no other, mark my words!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think this defense with a full offseason and some maturity will grow leaps and bounds and rise back to the top in 2021. Our LB's this year suffered from gap mistakes and tackling. Some of this comes with experience although Slade and Funa have been in the program long enough they should not be making these mistakes as much as they did. I think our current LB room is the most talented we have ever had and potentially adding To'oto'o is huge. Having that much depth at LB allows that unit to fly around all game.

Hypothetically who's time does he take or who's minutes get diminished the most? 

The linebackers really lacked leadership last season. Isaac Slade-Matautia and Sewell led the team in the tackles so but ISM didn't really seem to lead the linebackers like Dye. Sewell is a freshman and grew a ton over the season but it is usually a bad sign if you need to rely on a freshman as a leader of the defense. Please note.. Troy Dye was the leader of the defense in 2016 and we all know how that year turned out, even though it was some incredible growth for Dye and made him one of the Oregon career greats.

Sewell was often in the backfield this last season but he missed soooo many tackles. He has the speed and the power to be a huge play stopper he just needs to square his shoulders better and line up his tackle instead of landing a glancing blow.

Would Henry To'o To'o save the Oregon defense? Not sure our defense is in that bad of shape to be honest, it wasn't a pretty season defensively but that was mostly due to how youth heavy the roster was. A year of growth and expirence goes a long way.

He would however, be a MAJOR asset for the team and one that Oregon would be thankful to land.

12 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

For some reason I haven't thought of our linebacking group as the defense's problem for 2021. With all of the much hailed "stars" we have back there and in there second season, who would think it.

I have always thought our DL was the weak spot not liinebacker. Henry To'oto'o sounds like a great get for the Ducks and it would be good to have him in the linebacker house but saying he is the fix for our defensive woe's might be a stretch.  

I am of the same opinion. The LBs were not great. Particularly Dru Mathis and early season Mase Funa were struggling, and Noah was too fast for his own good overrunning plays. But the major problem was the DL. They played good against Cal and great against USC - I’m a broken record but it was Jordon Scott and Austin Faoliu. They started Dorlus and Kristian Williams against USC. Even though the LBs are not the weakness you don’t say no to a guy like Henry T - that’s a proven difference maker. 

8 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

Ah Ryan....great article and so timely for us.  You had me at "Troy Dye" and I could not help but think of the analysis by Coach Boles recently of how the SAM linebacker needs to be "a big safety" in the DeRuyter defense.  You can check the article again here, and ponder the fit of Henry into that role and perhaps that is where Oregon sees him?

It is funny how when Troy Dye was signed with Oregon...he was just another 3-Star safety listed here that Oregon would check to see if there was "potential."  Henry could be a good fit in the new defense-agree?

Troy Dye stops_Tom Corno.jpg

Troy Dye flattens Wisconsin....

Charles,

Troy Dye was seemingly omnipotent. He easily has the best nose for the ball I've ever seen at Oregon. At least on film, HT (as he will henceforth be known) looks like he is cut from the same cloth to me.

If Oregon can secure the commitment, he would fill a huge need on the defense.

To'o To'o and Sewell would be the best LB  duo in the nation for the next two years.  That's not counting Flowe and Brown pinch hitting for both!  

I could seriously imagine OC's whining about how unfair it would be for one team to have Sewell, KT, HT, Flowe, and Brown on one roster...

rrr.gif

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Southern Duck said:

To'o To'o and Sewell would be the best LB  duo in the nation for the next two years.  That's not counting Flowe and Brown pinch hitting for both!  

Unfortunately we haven't seen that much of Flowe this last season. I wouldn't count him as a backup for very long. 

Everyone looks good in a highlight tape but boy do TooToo's look good as both a true freshman and sophomore (against good competition).

Just a play diagnosing, in the box, QB pressuring, space eating, run stuffing machine. Dye has great highlights too, some in the box but a lot of moving and play making in space. A Duck great. HTT is just a killer, vacuum cleaner, and impact guy in and around the LOS. Thinking back over the last 25 years as a Duck fan, not a lot to compare him to? Maybe a bit of Alonso, a bit of Simon, a bit of Mitchell, a bit of Ernest Jones? When he hit the portal, everyone at the top of college wanted him and it makes sense. One of the announcers suggests, "Shot out of a cannon".

Linked his true freshman year highlights earlier, here is 2020.

Edited by AnotherOD

On 2/1/2021 at 8:11 AM, AnotherOD said:

Thanks for the video. His ability to react to the ball is impressive. A player either has that, or doesn’t at the college level. 

While our defense may not need to be “saved”, an addition like this would certainly make DeRuyter smile. Adding a player with speed, proven talent, and experience to a group that already has huge potential would be like finding a forgotten $100 bill in your favorite jeans. 

Man if Flowe could have played and healthy, it would have been very beneficial for that D this year. There is still a lot of talent at that LB unit. Funa,

Thib's wherever he lines up, Jackson, Sewell, I guess two Jacksons and at LB. I just pray a healthy Flowe is ready to go and we get to see that special skill set of him hitting people and with Sewell playing next to him wow.

This LB from the Vol's we had the chance a couple seasons ago to get him here in Eugene. It would be awesome if he does indeed play here then we still laugh at you down south. Ha! 

Donte Williams who!

On 2/1/2021 at 10:33 AM, David Marsh said:

The linebackers really lacked leadership last season. Isaac Slade-Matautia and Sewell led the team in the tackles so but ISM didn't really seem to lead the linebackers like Dye. Sewell is a freshman and grew a ton over the season but it is usually a bad sign if you need to rely on a freshman as a leader of the defense. Please note.. Troy Dye was the leader of the defense in 2016 and we all know how that year turned out, even though it was some incredible growth for Dye and made him one of the Oregon career greats.

Sewell was often in the backfield this last season but he missed soooo many tackles. He has the speed and the power to be a huge play stopper he just needs to square his shoulders better and line up his tackle instead of landing a glancing blow.

Would Henry To'o To'o save the Oregon defense? Not sure our defense is in that bad of shape to be honest, it wasn't a pretty season defensively but that was mostly due to how youth heavy the roster was. A year of growth and expirence goes a long way.

He would however, be a MAJOR asset for the team and one that Oregon would be thankful to land.

If I remember correctly Dye played pretty good as a freshman. I was impressed with what lay ahead for Dye and he delivered.

16 minutes ago, MaiTaiDuck said:

If I remember correctly Dye played pretty good as a freshman. I was impressed with what lay ahead for Dye and he delivered.

Led the team in tackles as a freshman absolutely a beast in the making. Though the 2016 defense was non-existent.so he was one of the bright spots in another wise terrible year. 

Dye had learn a lot and become a leader real fast... And that can be tough for a true freshman. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone have any idea on what Henry's timeline is for committing somewhere?

Most think it will occur at the end of March when his quarter with Tennessee ends and he can begin elsewhere.

Mr. FishDuck

Honestly Ryan his Dad sounds like a real piece of work. He shouldn't even be involved in throwing pitches out there like he's in some kind of bidding war, AKA Scam Newtons other true piece of work. This prior Tennessee LB is a grown Man so let him make his own decisions. This really isn't to me a good idea because Daddy would be posting on social media if he didn't like how Oregon's DC was using him. Just like Flowe's Coach from High School was posting on Flowe's injury before Oregon's had a chance to say anything. That was certainly not ok and it might have even been a HIPPA violation to boot. Love to have To'to but seems it would be more of a head ache than it's worth.

I was worried about Flowe immediately after his coach did that on social media. It should have never been done in the first place so it kind of worries me in a few scenario's like is Flowe a me type of player? I certainly hope not but with all the posts I've seen on social media it reminds me of a young Man who craves the attention. You like that then do it when you get to the NFL. It doesn't belong in the College ranks and should be a violation of team rules to me. But hey I'm old school so this system with how it's going rubs me and I know a lot of you my fellows Gray beards as Charles calls us. I obviously would love to see To'to in Green and Yellow because he would certainly add to this team D.

On 2/1/2021 at 11:17 PM, woundedknees said:

I could seriously imagine OC's whining about how unfair it would be for one team to have Sewell, KT, HT, Flowe, and Brown on one roster...

rrr.gif

You missed JTT in that sentence. We most certainly hope he becomes a Duck and I've said all along he will come to Oregon. Ohio St did a huge greatness on their part in getting Man handled by BAMA and this mind you with pretty much equally great recruiting classes. So though I love to HATE the Suckeye's I believe we have just as much going for us in getting him. He would indeed play and help Oregon to not only win the PAC 12 Three years running but also get back to the playoff. If that does happen it will tell me two things. One Oregon has got the QB they want and is playing great Football. Two Moorehead is running the whole offense W/O Mario interfering which now makes Oregon a great team once again.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, MaiTaiDuck said:

That was certainly not ok and it might have even been a HIPPA violation to boot.

That is not how HIPPA works... HIPPA prevents healthcare professionals from sharing "sensitive patient health information". So DR's, nurses any medical professionals and health insurance billing and so forth.

If you share information with as Flowe did with a previous acquaintance and that person leaks or spreads the information they are not breaking HIPPA. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, UtahDuck said:

That is not how HIPPA works... HIPPA prevents healthcare professionals from sharing "sensitive patient health information". So DR's, nurses any medical professionals and health insurance billing and so forth.

If you share information with as Flowe did with a previous acquaintance and that person leaks or spreads the information they are not breaking HIPPA. 

Thank you, as someone who has worked with this stuff it’s frustrating to see people think HIPAA applies to non-professionals. You can tweet that your friend has a broken hand, assuming you aren’t a medical professional involved in their treatment. 
College student privacy is protected by FERPA, once again something Justin Flowe’s high school coach is not bound by. 

• Thumbs Up 1

For those who haven’t seen the comments from Henry’s dad he basically says Pac-12 football sucks and he wants his son to stay in the SEC. Bama in particular. Oregon was mentioned as a maybe if he can’t find something in the SEC. Not surprising, considering what landed Henry at Tennessee and in the portal, but it sounds like an auction. 
I’d love a defender like him, but not if it comes with NCAA sanctions. I think most people understand that extra benefits are involved in recruiting. They just aren’t as brazen about it usually. 

12 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

Thank you, as someone who has worked with this stuff it’s frustrating to see people think HIPAA applies to non-professionals. You can tweet that your friend has a broken hand, assuming you aren’t a medical professional involved in their treatment. 
College student privacy is protected by FERPA, once again something Justin Flowe’s high school coach is not bound by. 

Yeah I haven't worked in insurance for sometime, but I've noticed a lot of people who don't understand HIPAA. as for FERPA I make no claims to understanding it but I do know it isn't only colleges bound by it. If Flowe was in highschool, it is possible that he could be violating it but again being that Flowe is in college, and his coach was told the information from Flowe rather than learning in his role as an "education professional" there is no way he violated FERPA either. 

On 2/1/2021 at 10:33 AM, David Marsh said:

I think ISM and Sampson Niu were both expected to take up leadership roles in the LB corp but Niu opted out of the season for personal reasons.  ISM obviously couldn't hold up the leadership mantle by himself in 2020, I suspect if we had both playing then things would have been visibly better.

You state the linebacker corps as the weak spot in the defense (slow and can't tackle).  

Do you think Sewell (freshman player of the year) and Flowe aren't the answer at LB?  They're two of the highest rated recuits of all time for the program.  If so, why?