Charles Fischer

Oregon is Going to WIN the Fiesta Bowl!

FishDuck writer Ryan Robertson is pretty sure of this and gives his reasons why right here.

Thoughts?

Mr. FishDuck

It all depends on which Oregon team shows up. The team that played Oregon State, or the team that played USC. 

To start with we have to have all players healthy and able to play.
Next we have to have them mentally ready and "up" for the game. 
Then we have to have little to no Pistol formation.
And no diving into the middle of the line on 4 th and 1. 
Game management by the HC must be spot on with no sleeping coaches hanging around.
Next we must have more noisy fans in the stands then our opponent has. 

With all that We have a chance to win. 

Intensity!!! If the Ducks bring the same intensity they did in the Pac12 championship it will go along ways to victory. However the intensity has to be on both sides of the ball. Let Moorhead loose and get out of the way. The game plan has to be followed to the ultimate and Shough needs to complete his first passes in the game for his confidence level to rise to the challenge.

Do these things and follow the advice of BDF and we will be hoisting the trophy. Hopefully we will also have some healthy players back!

Thanks for the scouting report, Ryan, however, as good a job Wright does on kickoff returns, the fewer chances he has a chance to display his skills, the better, once would be fine. Iowa State features a great running back in Breece Hall, much like Wisconsin had in Johnathan Taylor in the Rose Bowl. Oregon's defense handled Taylor, and doing the same to Hall, will take the air out of the Cyclone's offense.

Whoever the quarterback turns out to be for the Ducks, some big plays through the air would be great, Iowa's pass coverage is their Achilles heel, and the Ducks can double down here with their speed advantage. Hopefully, KT and Dorlus will pick up where they left off, and ISU's quarterback will will have to be picked up off the field, when he isn't running for his life and getting picked off. 

This is a big game for ISU, let them and their fans enjoy the build up of playing in a NY6 game, then the Ducks can give them a reality check. 

4 hours ago, BigDucksFan said:

And no diving into the middle of the line on 4 th and 1. 

Not even a QB sneak with Brown running it?????

1 hour ago, Jon Joseph said:

From a personnel POV, if Shough shows without the chops to win, how long before Brown sees the field?

That is the question, and I hope that Mario doesn't overthink the answer. If Shough is playing well, and not just "managing" go with him. But, if the Ducks aren't humming, get Brown in there!

I've felt pretty good about the Ducks since the matchup was announced (and not to slight ISU in the slightest).

If both teams are roughly healthy, if Oregon shows up motivated to play, doesn't have a terrible TO margin, and gets an at least "slightly below average" (or anything better) performance from its QB spot, I like the odds.

Not to oversimplify, but in a neutral site game, if both teams show up motivated, there isn't a significant difference in TOs, and the higher rated team gets performance at its most vulnerable spot, I'd suggest teams rated 10-15 in FBS recruiting have a very, very solid record against teams 50-55 in FBS recruiting both regular season and bowls. "Talent gap" isn't a 100% predictor, but the numbers are consistent. Mario so far being a pretty good "big game" type coach to this point at Oregon gives me a notch more confidence.

Oregon fails in any one of those spots, ISU is absolutely capable of winning, maybe even going away. I'm thinking 2000 Sun Bowl kind of deal. Lots of shocked Texas fans that day. Ducks don't wanna go there.

Edited by AnotherOD

I like Oregon in this one. Much depends on Shough who's growing up before our eyes. To crib a line from Croupier,  "Hang on tightly, let go lightly."

Note: Dibs on S for silverflurry. 

I'm inclined to side with Oregon on this one... but then again I'm always living in my own green and yellow bubble over here.

Looking at how Oregon managed to get pressure on USC by rushing only three and sometimes four was a major component to that win. If they can keep that going against Iowa State I can't see Iowa State gaining enough momentum on offense to win.

Yes, Shough has some major problems... but if Moorhead can get him comfortable with some easy passes to the edges I think we see the Shough we saw earlier in the year.

4 hours ago, silverflurry said:

I like Oregon in this one. Much depends on Shough who's growing up before our eyes. To crib a line from Croupier,  "Hang on tightly, let go lightly."

Agreed. 28-24 with Shough showing a much better performance in front of his family and in his element weather wise. 

38 minutes ago, C J said:

Agreed. 28-24 with Shough showing a much better performance in front of his family and in his element weather wise. 

It all depends on how he is practicing this week. Last game Brown was in with H-L in short yardage and goal line... by design and practicing. I wonder if there isn't and expansion of Brown sets that  wouldn't easily insert him into whole drives should Shough falter.  If this is a must win game then MC and Moorhead have to be willing to pull him if the need arises. 

42 minutes ago, C J said:

We also might need 30+ points to win this game. 

8 hours ago, Jon Joseph said:

Lots of opt outs on the Florida O side of the ball last night. But OK made mince meat of the UF D and Iowa State, on two occasions, held this OK O down?

HMMMMMM?

Moorhead is definitely going to need to pull out every trick in the book to get ISU on their heels in this one. Only way we win is if Cristobal hands over the game plan to Moorhead and says "you take it from beginning to end". 

Our standard run game will get stuffed.....that is almost a guarantee. In fact our standard run game plan is pretty much already stuffed and the game doesn't start till Saturday afternoon.

Misdirection will need to be the name of the game.