Pennsylvania Duck

Lanning: Why Terrell Tilmon Moved From Outside Linebacker to Tight End

Listed at 6'5, 225 pounds Tilmon’s strong athletic frame makes him an asset on the football field at a multitude of positions.

“Coach Dillingham asked the question 'who's our fastest tight end?' and all the tight ends point to Tilmon," Lanning said. “He can run a little bit. It’s still a new position for him, still developing there, so we'll see what it looks like in fall camp.”

That's the nugget out of the article. 6'5" with big catch radius and the speed, that's a handful at TE! 

He sounds like a WR/TE hybrid

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 3

What happened with DJ Johnson, I know he went to Defense because of all the injuries but the kid could play both ways in my opinion.  And he has great hands and blocks very well.  I do think, he has the drive to be a great defensive end too.  Which side could he shine the best on though?

On 8/3/2022 at 9:53 PM, EzDucksIt said:

What happened with DJ Johnson, I know he went to Defense because of all the injuries but the kid could play both ways in my opinion.  And he has great hands and blocks very well.  I do think, he has the drive to be a great defensive end too.  Which side could he shine the best on though?

DJ was an edge recruit who I think was #82 rated player in the nation on 247. When he transferred in from Maimi, he was still an edge guy. Because KT was ahead of him at edge, he was open to playing tight end to help the team. 

Now that KT is gone, he is back at edge where he has his most value going into the NFL draft. I think he brings way more value to the team as an edge this year. I think if he has a great year, he could shoot up into the first round of the draft since the NFL teams value edge guys like gold. 

Now Tilman in a year on campus has only filled out to 225lbs on his 6' 5" frame, that's to light for an edge guy. 

It seems like the Ducks staff in what may be a brilliant move looked at Tilman's body build and realized he wasn't bulking up enough for the edge. 

Tilman the article said is the fastest TE on the Ducks and at 6' 5' with speed will be a super hard dude to defend at any part of the field. He also is a great TE to throw an end zone fade and let him go up and get the ball. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Applause 1

Tillman came in as a track guy playing DE. The young man ran the hurdles in high school and has speed. Seems like an incredibly shrewd move for a staff which, unlike the previous staff, expects our TE to run a route, not just block, and run with LB's. We need guys who can outrun LB's.

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/4/2022 at 7:47 AM, Haywarduck said:

Tillman came in as a track guy playing DE. The young man ran the hurdles in high school and has speed. Seems like an incredibly shrewd move for a staff which, unlike the previous staff, expects our TE to run a route, not just block, and run with LB's. We need guys who can outrun LB's.

I didn't know he was a track guy, good nugget of info you dropped there!

It's a little interesting that this largish 6'4", 225 guy is cousin to 5'7", 175 Jaylon Redd.  Tilmon also ran a 4.8 40.  That's scootin' for a gent his size.

Great Info. . .  What ever DJ Johnson does, this year should shine for him.  Loved how he played as he swapped roles due to injuries in the offense and defense.  Being solely on defense, should make him shine for the draft.  Look forward to seeing how Tilmon performs on the field.

Oregon has had some great Tight Ends in the past, that have gone on to the NFL too.  

91172051.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Though they don’t get the shine that other positions do in the Oregon offense, these 10 tight ends will go down in Duck’s history as the best of the best.

Found this source by googling.  Loved the fact that they had Colt Lyerla mentioned as he showed some great potential.  As did Johnny Mundt, Evan Baylis and I would put DJ Johnson in that same category of TE's that played significant roles for the team.  Would really like to see some TE's become good enough for the NFL.