Haywarduck

The Difference Between This Year and Last?

In as few words as possible describe what you expect the difference between this year and last. It might be fun to read what is expected.

I expect the offense to try and create separation instead of focusing on contact. It seemed like Mario was all about hitting people without understanding what putting people in space did for an offense. I think we will see the polar opposite with Dilly and Lanning.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I expect an offense that will be designed to gain yards and score points! Not that clock management isn't important. Many teams script out the opening plays, but they aren't etched in stone, so that will be different. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My biggest expectation for this year compared to last is not to see the loss of focus by the coaching staff that last year failed the  team - especially at the end of the season.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

When we fall behind this year, I expect our team to have the ability to rebound; to have our defense make a stand and our offense to score. Last year, whenever we fell behind, I always had an uncomfortable feeling that the defense and offense won't be able to respond. I think a lot of that was due to MC play calling.

• Thumbs Up 1

More points

More wins

• Go Ducks! 1

I expect the most dominant defense we have ever seen, don the yellow and green and take us to the promise land.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Versatile. I foresee this team being able to adjust during a game when needed. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Discipline. 🙏

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I expect the results to match the talent on the roster and that will be a reflection of a coaching staff getting the most out of what it has.

Mario was a do less with more guy.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I expect Dan Lanning to become the next Brooks and Bellotti.  Has assistant coaches that are great teachers.  Players will be developed and earn spots in the NFL.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Play calling in the red zone and on 3rd and 4th down between the 20's.

I don't expect dives between the Guards as frequently as last season.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I expect much better defense and I expect that we wont run the ball up the middle on 3rd an 9.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I expect more chess match and less red rover.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

1. Stay healthy.

2. Attack the ball as a team, half tackles and sacks for everyone.

3. Defend middle of the field 5 to 15 yards. 

4. Attack line of scrimmage. 

5. Long ball threat.

6. Fun fun fun

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

I expect at least one pass will be thrown longer than 10 yards during each game. 🙂

• Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Disciplined Innovation... What a concept!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

No season ending injuries every week and get stops on 3rd and 17. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/4/2022 at 9:54 AM, 30Duck said:

Many teams script out the opening plays, but they aren't etched in stone, 

Time out!

• Haha 3

On 8/4/2022 at 5:24 PM, Haywarduck said:

Time out!

Are you mocking Mario for the timeout he called before a snap in his first game, or is that just stuck in my head? haha

• Haha 4

On 8/4/2022 at 12:46 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I expect much better defense and I expect that we wont run the ball up the middle on 3rd an 9.

Or pass for 2.5 yards in traffic... LOL!!

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

I am looking for a relentless and suffocating defense creating 4 to 6 HAVOC plays per game.

This should be complimented by a wide open offense with a variety of inside and outside runs, open receivers and accurate passing, punctuated with explosion plays from a wide variety of playmakers.

What I really want to see a Defense that allows less than 20 PPG and an offense that averages 42 PPG.  Is that asking too much from OBD?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

My expectation is that we will hear football noise that is the equivalent of a Dodge Hellcat at wide open throttle. 

• Applause 1

I expect that I wont be screaming vulgar words at my TV as much --well except for bad calls.

• Applause 1

More than I can possibly list...how can be not be highly entertained this year?

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Considering what multiple players had to say about the difference between staffs and present culture, I suspect the Ducks will be more cohesive, more explosive, play harder and faster and go for the jugular early. They seem excited. 

It sounds like the team chemistry and the motivation of the players is better than recent years. 

More talent, better schemes, better coaching. Good things ahead for Duck fans. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, please, a dynamic offense and no more losing to weak teams. 

I agree with most of what has already been posted.  Especially that the Ducks will be bringing more talent to the field, have better coaching across the board, and be using more exciting and effective schemes.  

More specifically, I agree that the Defense will improve dramatically.  Not just bc of talent and scheme, but also bc of communication.  One of the reasons the GA D was so good last season was talent, but it was also bc the players were amazing at working as a unit.  The players knew each other’s job as well as their own and communicated well.  

This helped them perform well as a team in shutting down offenses.  I expect the Ducks coaching to strive for this and I expect the players to really buy into this and excel as a defensive unit.  I truly expect, barring terrible injury luck, that the D will get better every week and will become a force to be reckoned with.

• Applause 1

On 8/4/2022 at 11:58 AM, Haywarduck said:

I expect the offense to try and create separation instead of focusing on contact. It seemed like Mario was all about hitting people without understanding what putting people in space did for an offense. I think we will see the polar opposite with Dilly and Lanning.

I never thought of the offensive philosophy the way you just described under Mario, but I think you are exactly correct.  It wasn't about out-smarting or out executing the opponent, it was about physical domination.  It worked except when it didn't.