FishDuck Article

Dan Lanning Knows How to Rock an Offseason

One thing we know about Dan Lanning: he can rock an offseason. Be honest. How many of you thought after several shocking losses last season that Mario Cristobal would ever get Oregon back to the playoffs? Utah manhandled Oregon twice, puncturing Cristobal’s perpetually sunny forecasts and sending fans careening toward a dismal offseason — something between a bad cigar and ...

Dan-Lanning_Pac12-Video-300x300-cropped.
FISHDUCK.COM

One thing we know about Dan Lanning: he can rock an offseason. Be honest. How many of you thought after several shocking losses last...
  • Great post! 5
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Such an enjoyable article, Drex, and you are absolutely correct. After last season, Dan Lanning has been a welcomed breath of fresh air this offseason, not only for fans but for the players. I find Lanning to be much more "relatable" than MC. As I've noted before, you can't help but like this guy. GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to Our Beloved Duck Forum!  You knocked the proverbial ball out of the park.  Thank you, Drex, your writing is a joy to read!

There are so many phrases that caused me to go "Wow!" over and over!  Your wordsmithing is the best!

I loved everything you had to say! As we said back in the 70's, "Keep on trucking!"

• Thumbs Up 2

Drex, thanks! Great article, entertaining and great humor!

Great Article. Coach Lanning has felt like the real deal since day one. Can't wait for September to get here!

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know who is having more fun...Drex writing or the rest of us reading!  That one joke..."That wasn’t Zone Read football. It was Don Read."  Oh, that was so perfect, and the only thing wrong with it is that I did not think of it!

Between this community and the writers/editors of FishDuck...we have good times ahead!

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

It seems the team really had fun. That sense of fun and joy is one of the under appreciated differences between (today’s) college football and the pros. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Great writing, but reading it reminded me the greatest offseason coach we have ever had, left for Miami. It is time to win the offseason, and keep the fans happy through a full set of games, win or lose. 

It is time to move on from a coach who amazingly had no enemies, but created an intense distaste from just about every Duck fan out there. It is time for a coach to give us back the taste we can still smell, feel and see, but those emotional ties were sadly fading, and to do it on gameday!

Humor and good advice all in the same bundle. Thanks Drex, and welcome!  Always a good idea to take it a step at a time and enjoy the ride; let Dan take care of Dan and just maybe he’ll pass that driver’s test!

He needs to acknowledge when his team played like an oboe section that found the tequila.

FFolksSake!!! IF only 😆

Mari just acknowledges MOARRRRR TOUGHHHHhhhhhhhnnnnnnuuuuu huh, what?

My first toe into the FishDuck writing pool and I must say, the water feels just great after reading your responses. Thanks for the kind words. This community is special and Charles works hard to keep it that way. I'm sure you'll find reason to take my legs out now and then, which I invite. I love mixing it up with my Duck pals, Autzen seatmates and all. They're always wrong. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Drex, it was fun to work with you. Looking forward to doing it again.

Great article! I think I anticipated  the enthusiasm of CDL and the reactions of the Duck Nation when I said in one of my first posts that you were going to love this guy. I have said this before and will say again that he will  field a good product and have his kids sky high--a characteristic I never really saw during the two years watched CMC's teams.

Some of you may be  too high on a  first-year coach who will  make mistakes (they all do). So don't  saddle him with unrealistic expectations.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nevada Dawg, your description reminds me of something an Autzen mate said watching Kelly his first season as head coach. He said: Watch when the team huddles around him on the sidelines. The kids hang on every word. They love playing for him. They did--and it was a big part of his success.  Living in LA, I see a fair number of UCLA games. Kelly has never quite achieved the same degree of player devotion here. He came to UCLA after failing to make his thing work in the NFL. When he didn't have immediate results here, his players had reason for doubt. I think he's slowly building the mojo but it's taking a long time.  If Lanning has an immediate connection with players, he could get on a roll. 

Edited by Drex Heikes
  • Thumbs Up 1

I read this article again and laughed maybe more than the first read.

Loved the "when he's old enough to drive"

Great article, great style!

Makes me feel like a hack writer!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/6/2022 at 6:34 AM, Drex Heikes said:

Nevada Dawg, your description reminds me of something an Autzen mate said watching Kelly his first season as head coach. He said: Watch when the team huddles around him on the sidelines. The kids hang on every word. They love playing for him. They did--and it was a big part of his success.  Living in LA, I see a fair number of UCLA games. Kelly has never quite achieved the same degree of player devotion here. He came to UCLA after failing to make his thing work in the NFL. When he didn't have immediate results here, his players had reason for doubt. I think he's slowly building the mojo but it's taking a long time.  If Lanning has an immediate connection with players, he could get on a roll. 

I acknowledge your point Drex and don't  mean to be overly argumentative, but college football  I think has changed drastically since Chip's early days at Oregon, and I'm not sure that the kind of roll he and the Ducks had then is  even possible any more with  a first-year coach. We'll  see, I guess, but as a Dawgs fan, with the Ducks as my second favorite team, I  hope the  roll begins after the date in the Benz on September 3.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:25 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I acknowledge your point Drex and don't  mean to be overly argumentative, but college football  I think has changed drastically since Chip's early days at Oregon, and I'm not sure that the kind of roll he and the Ducks had then is  even possible any more with  a first-year coach. We'll  see, I guess, but as a Dawgs fan, with the Ducks as my second favorite team, I  hope the  roll begins after the date in the Benz on September 3.

I think this is right.  To me success is less than Ls vs Ws.  Success is whether there is demonstrable change that shows a clear through line to an identity and output that can realistically lead to a high level of play consistent w/a very dangerous top 10 team.  

I do think the Ducks will be fierce this year but may not be better than Utah or Suc.  Or maybe they will.  

But while I want to see the Ducks in a NYD bowl game this year, strong evidence that the rest of the conference is playing for 2nd place next year and beyond is good enough for me. 

Nevada Dawg... agreed with the changes to the game. Maybe it isn't possible again for a first-year head coach. Many teams started running Oregon-like spreads after Kelly, and teams learned how to defend it. Kelly landed in Oregon at a magical moment. To start: he had a great HC willing to pluck an unknown OC and gave him free rein. And Kelly inherited immense talent--speedsters tailor made for his uncanny mind. By the time he became HC, the team already believed. Who wouldn't after that blowout in Ann Arbor? 

• Thumbs Up 2

Dan Lanning also knows how to rock a Tweet. 

Put me in coach, I’m ready to play!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1