Pennsylvania Duck

Watch How Happy Bradyn Swinson is with Dan Lanning...'Has Changed Team for the Better'

Edited by Pennsylvania Duck
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Lanning seems to have brought in that Chip Kelly like magic. Have the Ducks found lightening in a bottle twice? So far it looks that way.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Gotta have fun in the game. 

Yes, college football is a job for the players. Let's not start on the competition debate... This is a job and has always been a job.

But this job should be fun. 

Not ever job is fun, but when work is actually fun, everything about that job is better, including performance. 

It's good to see Lanning bringing back the fun.

I don't think this roster would have lasted under Cristobal. It will be interesting to see what happens in Miami. Not just this year but the next three. He seemed to have brought in top talent and then sucked the life out of it. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

This transformation has been going on for sometime, and only now are most of the Oregon fanbase realizing it.  But FishDuck readers knew!

Dan-Lanning_Eric-Evans-of-GoDucks.com_-3
FISHDUCK.COM

When you have been managing a couple Oregon football sites for a decade with hundreds of contacts among all the readers, writers, photographers...

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/5/2022 at 6:57 AM, David Marsh said:

I don't think this roster would have lasted under Cristobal. It will be interesting to see what happens in Miami. Not just this year but the next three. He seemed to have brought in top talent and then sucked the life out of it. 

Mari-no-O. He’s a good person but stubborn and unimaginative. Too much grinding, not enough sleep, creativity, and fun.

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/5/2022 at 10:30 AM, lownslowav8r said:

Too much grinding, not enough sleep, creativity, and fun.

This is what I imagine playing for Saban is like and if accurate, there's no arguing the results.  He does this though with superior talent...

What I appreciated so much about Chip Kelly is that he took 3 stars and beat loaded 5 star teams by scheme.  I do believe there's enough ingenuity out there that would allow for this to happen again, but finding it is akin to finding a needle in a haystack.

That brings us to Lanning: I believe Lanning, in part bc of his youth, will find a way to take a lesser (albeit still blue-chip) roster and knock off more talented teams with it.  Scheme will no doubt play a part as it's understood he's briliant with X's and O's, but I think he's unlocked the new lightning in a bottle by having a team built on accountability to each other and having FUN!  I think that's how he's going to make a team produce more than the sum of its parts.  I expect there will be some learning curve this year, but by seasons end I believe we'll look like a playoff team.  Given about 3 years I think we WILL BE a playoff team...and if we can keep him in Eugene, in 5 years I think he'll bring a Title to Autzen!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/5/2022 at 9:15 AM, Wrathis said:

if we can keep him in Eugene, in 5 years I think he'll bring a Title to Autzen!

I believe he will bring a title to the Ducks eventually....and then he won't have anything left to prove in the college game.  Oregon has never won one, and he will still do it with disadvantages compared to the perennial Playoff contenders.  He will dazzle the college scene with scheme and coaching, and then head off the NFL to see how he matches up with the best minds of football, IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/5/2022 at 9:15 AM, Wrathis said:

This is what I imagine playing for Saban is like and if accurate, there's no arguing the results.  He does this though with superior talent...

Even Saban changed to modern offensive schemes and let his Offensive Coordinators open up the offense!  He also in one championship game benched the starter and put in the backup!

Would Mari (no O) ever do that?

• Thumbs Up 1

I read a great book called "The Power of Habit". In it the author details the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and coach Tony Dungy. How they were not going to keep losing.  By lessening the playbook, to become proficient at the plays they did retain. They drilled over and over. They got so good they went into the Superbowl. Which they lost.

The reason they determined was they weren't close enough as a team so when an obstacle hit them they fell apart. The machine they had become quit working. 

So that off season Tony instituted a way for them to become closer. The very next year they won. To a player when asked what the difference was, the response was they were playing for more than just themselves and the games but for each other.

The author surmised the missing ingredient was not only being proficient but playing for something more than just yourself but each other.

I remember Chip talking about the book and I believe the concept became a bedrock of his team. In fact he and Tony became friends and his son played for the Ducks.

I wonder if DL also read the book because he is embracing its ideas at almost every turn.

• Great post! 2

On 8/5/2022 at 12:15 PM, Wrathis said:

What I appreciated so much about Chip Kelly is that he took 3 stars and beat loaded 5 star teams by scheme.  I do believe there's enough ingenuity out there that would allow for this to happen again, but finding it is akin to finding a needle in a haystack.

That brings us to Lanning: I believe Lanning, in part bc of his youth, will find a way to take a lesser (albeit still blue-chip) roster and knock off more talented teams with it.  Scheme will no doubt play a part as it's understood he's briliant with X's and O's, but I think he's unlocked the new lightning in a bottle by having a team built on accountability to each other and having FUN!  I think that's how he's going to make a team produce more than the sum of its parts.  I expect there will be some learning curve this year, but by seasons end I believe we'll look like a playoff team.  Given about 3 years I think we WILL BE a playoff team...and if we can keep him in Eugene, in 5 years I think he'll bring a Title to Autzen!

I’m a huge Lanning fan, and I absolutely agree that he will inspire a team to produce at a higher level than the sum of its parts.  Moreover, I agree with your assessment of how he will accomplish this.  Team first, accountability to each other, having fun, etc…….  

I apologize for referencing GA football so often in my posts here, but I do so bc it is a good point of reference for me and I think concerning CDL it is appropriate.  So just one quick example that emphasizes Lannings ability to inspire a team to work together so well is how the GA defense played last season.  By all accounts a defense full of ridiculous talent.  That might make some think it an easy job to make an elite defense out of them.  In some cases it could actually cause friction.  Lanning was able to have his players really buy into the team first mentality and the idea of playing for each other.  In truth no one player on that defense put up crazy stats, Travon Walker (#1 overall pick) didn’t post alarming stats.  Rather he played a significant role on a great defense.  And they all had fun!  Given time Lanning and Co will achieve this at Oregon.  

One last thought, I’ve pulled for the Ducks since I was basically a kid.  Never really thought of myself as a true fan but always pulled for them.  For me that has changed lately, primarily for two reasons.  1 - Coach Dan Lanning becoming the Head Coach.  2 - I joined this forum and have become much more familiar with the Duck Football Program and Duck fans.  Reading articles and fan posts here has been enjoyable and enlightening.  I’ve enjoyed interacting with Duck fans and I consider myself a fan of the Ducks now.  Albeit more in a 1.b status, as one Duck fan humorously pointed out to me, Of coarse I bleed UGA red and black.  But I’m excited for the future of Duck football and I’ll be pulling for them (except Sept.3) and watching every game I can.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 7:44 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Albeit more in a 1.b status, as one Duck fan humorously pointed out to me, Of coarse I bleed UGA red and black.  But I’m excited for the future of Duck football and I’ll be pulling for them (except Sept.3) and watching every game I can.

This is how I treat the Oregon State Beavers. I have some good work colleagues who are Beaver fans and I'll flip the channel to see how the beavers are doing. 

I tell my Beaver friends every year that I want the Beavers to win 11-12 games.  They must lose to the Ducks but otherwise I'm happy with them winning. 

Unlike the Huskies ... Who must always lose 12 games if possible. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4