FishDuck Article

How High Can Dillingham’s Ducks Fly?

Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham begins his first campaign with the Oregon Ducks in 2022, so just how good can this Ducks’ offense be? (After all, Dillingham fielded the fourth best offense in FBS while at Memphis.) We can begin to answer that question by looking at Dillingham’s scheme and the players he has at his disposal. The Scheme: Spread-Em-Out Dillingham ...

Kenny-Dillingham-300x300-cropped.jpg?p=1
FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham begins his first campaign with the Oregon Ducks in 2022, so just how good can this Ducks' offense be? (After all...

• Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

DazeNConfused, you describe the answer to my dreams!  With our talent, with our history, that's what I have craved for the last 4 years.

Hope springs eternal.  Here's hoping for Coach Dillingham's success.  Go, high flying Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

DazeNConfused, excellent observations and summation. You rock........

This is the best overall and most complete collection of blue chip talent our OBD's have ever assembled. If these talented players execute at a high level then yhe PAC  will return to the CFP.

The key is execution.........

That starts with the QB position. If BO earns the #1 spot and holds his own against Georgia then he will maintain his starting spot. Afterall, Georgia's D will be the best collection of talent we face.

One of these 3 QB's needs to exploit their relative game time inexperiemce. The talent is on the field.........

GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great article. The amount of talent on this Duck team gets me super excited for this season to start. That and anything but conference realignment. 

DnC has Duck offense topped out at 15. Relatively high watermark imo. I like it. Hard to challenge DnC's opinion. 

The O-line speaks for itself. I remember, not long ago, concern about wr room and where productivity would come from. Nice to have huge optimism about the talent in that room today.

Ducks lost both of their primary backs to the draft and portal. I never was impressed with Verdell or Dye but I have been spoiled with great backs over the past 2 decades.

Looking at the RB room Ducks have today and I believe the talent there is going to wreak the Pac. The sorely needed bump in 3rd down efficiency alone is going put 10 on the board 🤞🤞🤞.

TE production, as play makers, has been almost nonexistent. Under Mariø they have mostly been relegated to blocking schemes.  One of the most beautiful plays to watch is 6 or 7 yard dump doubled up with 6 or 7 YAC to the TE. 1st down. 

As always, that leaves QB room. Shocker! There is a lot we don't know. Mariø left us with two potentialy very talented, un(der) developed underclassmen. Nix was a blue chip that struggled at AU. Why has been debated here a ton.

The QB room, IMO, has huge potential talent. We will have to wait and see if they rise to the challenge of greatness or leave those of us still follicley gifted pulling our hair out.

15th best offense is huge if it can be obtained. I want to believe that ceiling is vaulted. That this team can reach top 10. Getting close to finding out. Go Ducks!

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'll say it again, Charles and I have Duck football articles that play off each other and will set readers up for the season kickoff. Don't miss Charles's Monday article, matter of fact don't miss any FishDuck article!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Smith72, HappyToBeADuck, and Log Haulin... Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the article! 

I really feel like this offense is loaded and I been saying for months I'm worried we may be QB limited. But with our talent and Dillys scheme you don't have to be Joe Burrow to have sucess! A QB just needs to be good, you don't have to be great.

I know my Bo Nix article dug into his short coming the last three years, some thought maybe too much. I wanted to establish for fans that Bo has some Red Flags. 

But you can see in this article I go into why Bo can have success. I have more Duck football articles on both sides of the ball that play off each other coming this month.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

What is the ceiling for DazeNconfused?  We haven't seen it yet, as he has some killer articles coming this month with this one being another in a long line.  Tomorrow DZC has an article that will make your jaw drop in surprise, (is this for real?) and you will find it highly entertaining.

Why didn't we have articles every day of the week in the offseason as we do now?  Because with training new writers in our protocol, AP Style, and the vast amounts of technology--the time spent was so much that I could not do it any more, thus I quit bringing on new writers a year ago.

Until now.  These three new writers are worth the investment of time, as they are now enjoying writing as I do, and we all get to enjoy their work.  Between them, and the talented veterans on the team--it is going to be a very fun fall!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

DazeNconfused, i enjoy that you are writing, sharing and exposing the strengths and weaknesses of our Duck players and teams.

Dont apologize for presenting facts. The only thing we can measure about BO, at this point, is his previous performance. Those exist and cam be used as a measuring stick.

Great writers dont just write what readers only want to read. Great writers organize and present to the readers causing them to think, ponder, get pissed off or find common ground 

Well done by all 3 new FishDuck writers. You all are great additions to the other fabulous writers on this one of a kind site 

• Applause 3

Don't worry Happy. I call balls and strikes as I see them.

I'm sure my story Thursday next week will ruffle a few Duck feathers, but it will be eye opening, and we can have a good discussion here on the forum.

On 8/6/2022 at 5:50 AM, Log Haulin said:

Great article. The amount of talent on this Duck team gets me super excited for this season to start. That and anything but conference realignment. 

DnC has Duck offense topped out at 15. Relatively high watermark imo. I like it. Hard to challenge DnC's opinion. 

Last year I was done with Mario holding our offense back. I told two of my Duck buds I wanted to give Lane Kiffin 45 million on a 3-year contract that was like a bounty to get us to the Payoffs. I felt we had the offensive talent to get there and needed an offensive coach.

My buds thought I was nuts and he would bail for the NFL if he got us to the playoffs, but I was fine with that I just didn't want to waste this offensive talent.

I also wanted to chase Tom Herman, and Kalen DeBoer was third on that offensive guy list of current head coaches.

If we went the route of promoting a Coordinator, I wanted Kiffin's OC Jeff Lebby or Dan Lanning, they were my let's go young guys.

If we went the Vet Coordinator, I wanted the Oakie St DC Knowles who ended up moving to The OSU .

As it turned out we got the hottest young defensive mind in college football with Lanning, his hire of Dilly gives us one of the hottest upcoming offensive minds.

Dilly is going to give us a huge boost from what we have been.

We did really well in this coaching change and it's more sustainable than my 45 million Lane Kiffin half-cocked pipe dream. lol

Hi Daze,

Thank you again for an excellent article!  I do have high hopes with this new talented coaching staff and the blue chip players at their disposal.

I agree what you are saying about Nix.  From the stats I read, at Auburn, his junior season was his best output. "Bo Nix played in a total of 10 games.  He passed for 2292 yards on 327 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 60.2 for an average of 7.0 yards per attempt with 11 TDs, and allowing 11 sacks, with a QB rating on the year of 88.9.  As a runner he logged 52 runs for a total of 268 yards at an average of 5.2 per run."

The above was with a poor offensive line protection and players around him that was not as talented as what Oregon will offer.  I believe he will improve only because of this reason, as well as not going up against top defensive talented teams in the SEC.

This will give Nix his best opportunity, along with a strong front line, this season to improve on those stats.  He will have a lot of talented WRs, TEs, and a strong stable of running backs at his disposal.  

Here's hoping with KD’s offensive schemes in place with Oregon's blue chip talent around Nix, help us obtain that 15th best offense!  We will have a very talented defense that will help put our offense in a position to score points.

I also believe there will be games this coaching staff will have opportunities to play our talented young QBs.  They will give them much needed game time experience on the field.  The QBs will actually be developed and nurtured.  They are the future along with incoming Dante Moore!

Go Ducks, Fly High!

Edited by NJDuck
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/6/2022 at 7:56 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Last year I was done with Mario holding our offense back. I told two of my Duck buds I wanted to give Lane Kiffin 45 million on a 3-year contract that was like a bounty to get us to the Payoffs. I felt we had the offensive talent to get there and needed an offensive coach.

My buds thought I was nuts and he would bail for the NFL if he got us to the playoffs, but I was fine with that I just didn't want to waste this offensive talent.

I also wanted to chase Tom Herman, and Kalen DeBoer was third on that offensive guy list of current head coaches.

If we went the route of promoting a Coordinator, I wanted Kiffin's OC Jeff Lebby or Dan Lanning, they were my let's go young guys.

If we went the Vet Coordinator, I wanted the Oakie St DC Knowles who ended up moving to The OSU .

As it turned out we got the hottest young defensive mind in college football with Lanning, his hire of Dilly gives us one of the hottest upcoming offensive minds.

Dilly is going to give us a huge boost from what we have been.

We did really well in this coaching change and it's more sustainable than my 45 million Lane Kiffin half-cocked pipe dream. lol

I too was on the Lane train. 5 minutes into Lanning intro presser and my adrenaline was through the roof. Then came the championship game and I rooted like crazy for the Dawgs. More so rooting for the Duck on the sideline. 

Then came the coaching interviews I posted here. Wow... some of the most inspiring interviews I have ever seen.  Coupled to resurrecting the 22 class and fanaticism broke the glass.

Fall camp is here and season starts in a few weeks. Life is good for Duck fan.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

The slot receivers will help the Ducks gain critical first downs and make explosive plays. Seven and Hutson add fire power to the roster.

It will not surprise me to see Thompson or Butters overtake Bo Nix by the end of the season. I don't predict a QB transition, but it may occur anyway. Talent is nipping at Bo's heels.

Dillingham's tempo offense, along with the talent of the skill players will likely create uncertainty by the defense. Even a brief indecision could result in chunk yardage or a TD.

• Like 1

Another great article from the Ball of Confusion. I'm so grateful that you're putting in so much work to provide us "readers" with stimulating material to ponder and discuss. Keep it up.

One of the things we never want to talk about is the daunting certainty of the injury bug. For most of us, there's likely an element of superstition involved; nobody wants to be guilty of "jinxing" somebody on the team. Aside from that, though, we KNOW injuries are going to occur during the season (and likely even in the pre-season). Thus, one of the things that gives me a great deal of optimism about this year's Duck squad is the depth. Personally, I can't think of a Duck team with more depth--and, I've been watching Duck football since the 60s. Yes, there's inexperience at QB, DB and RB, but there's also depth there with talented athletes just waiting to get their chance to perform on the field.

Things are heating up as the first kickoff draws near; we're less than a month away. Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Another great job DNC. Thanks!  If all the ‘ifs’ surrounding Bo’s transition and ascendency to the Duck’s helm get checked-off, we might not only see Dilly’s pro-spread creating dazed and confused defenses, but a Bo free to use what may be his best weapon: his legs.

A fully-engaged defense trying to cover all of our running and passing options leaves no one on Bo. His legs could create some pretty amazing explosion plays. Can’t wait!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/6/2022 at 9:21 AM, Notalot said:

The slot receivers will help the Ducks gain critical first downs and make explosive plays. Seven and Hutson add fire power to the roster.

It will not surprise me to see Thompson or Butters overtake Bo Nix by the end of the season. I don't predict a QB transition, but it may occur anyway. Talent is nipping at Bo's heels.

Dillingham's tempo offense, along with the talent of the skill players will likely create uncertainty by the defense. Even a brief indecision could result in chunk yardage or a TD.

Great comment. The slot dudes are Legit!

On 8/6/2022 at 9:59 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Another great article from the Ball of Confusion. I'm so grateful that you're putting in so much work to provide us "readers" with stimulating material to ponder and discuss. Keep it up.

One of the things we never want to talk about is the daunting certainty of the injury bug. For most of us, there's likely an element of superstition involved; nobody wants to be guilty of "jinxing" somebody on the team. Aside from that, though, we KNOW injuries are going to occur during the season (and likely even in the pre-season). Thus, one of the things that gives me a great deal of optimism about this year's Duck squad is the depth. Personally, I can't think of a Duck team with more depth--and, I've been watching Duck football since the 60s. Yes, there's inexperience at QB, DB and RB, but there's also depth there with talented athletes just waiting to get their chance to perform on the field.

Things are heating up as the first kickoff draws near; we're less than a month away. Go Ducks!

Another great point! I briefly made comment to our depth- but as you say our depth guys are real dudes themselves. 

I'm fired up for football, so is Charles! We are going to bring it this month!

The articles I'm writing is what I'd be talking with my Duck buds, and I've found a bunch more here.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/6/2022 at 8:07 AM, NJDuck said:

Here's hoping with KD’s offensive schemes in place with Oregon's blue chip talent around Nix, help us obtain that 15th best offense!  We will have a very talented defense that will help put our offense in a position to score points. Go Ducks, Fly High!

The offense has us fired up! But so does Lanning's defense, and that's coming!

• Applause 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:34 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Another great job DNC. Thanks!  If all the ‘ifs’ surrounding Bo’s transition and ascendency to the Duck’s helm get checked-off, we might not only see Dilly’s pro-spread creating dazed and confused defenses, but a Bo free to use what may be his best weapon: his legs.

A fully-engaged defense trying to cover all of our running and passing options leaves no one on Bo. His legs could create some pretty amazing explosion plays. Can’t wait!

That's a really good point I haven't pondered!

Bo makes lots of on the move off platform throws. But I feel the key to his success in this offense will be if he can stay in the pocket, keep his feet under him and drive the ball downfield. That's how you make big-time throws and what the NFL will want to see, and it's the biggest jump I want to see Bo make. 

But your 1000% right, if Bo picks the right time to run, Watch Out!!!

Great Post!

Edit: your post really goes to some of the mental things I want to see Bo mature on. I don't want him with happy feet breaking the pocket to early using his legs and making ad-hock plays when he could have stayed settled in the pocket and stuck with the play.

But part of that growth will be seeing when the coverage went with his receivers on their routes, and he can take off for 25 yards.

If Bo plays smart, he is set up with this offense scheme and talent

Edited by DazeNconfused

Interesting take the O-line allowing the coaches to take a chance on a young qb. I think the O-line play is key to the season and how the offense performs overall. Dilly is going to look at what the defense gives us and what the O-line allows us to do.

The good news is the O-line should give Dilly plenty of options.

This will be a breath of fresh air after a coaching staff looking to get better at a limited number of options which fit into one persons definition of what football was. We all know the definition of football at Oregon wasn't what we were seeing.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:50 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Edit: your post really goes to some of the mental things I want to see Bo mature on. I don't want him with happy feet breaking the pocket to early using his legs and making ad-hock plays when he could have stayed settled in the pocket and stuck with the play.

But part of that growth will be seeing when the coverage went with his receivers on their routes, and he can take off for 25 yards.

Spot on. One of the biggest ‘ifs’ for me are the neurons firing-off in Bo’s brain at that critical moment of decision. My image of how a QB processes and acts on that will always be Marcus, particularly his game against Florida State. That’s the homework tape I’d put in Bo’s mail box.

I think the potential is there for everything you say, I would even think that if this offense really gets clicking top 10 isn't out of the question. 

Things have to come together though, chemistry needs to develop with a QB that most of the guys haven't played with before (if Nix indeed is the day one starter). 

If one of the young guys over takes Nix then you have a very inexperienced, though very talented one. 

I am expecting what you are, but it may take some time.

In any case, Georgia is also replacing a lot of players, so they may take some time to gel too. We may do better there than a lot of people are expecting. 

We don't want to over look anyone, but we should easily beat Eastern Washington.

Then BYU will be tough but at home, we should have some kinks worked out by then.