FishDuck Article

Mario Cristobal--When the Knives Come Out

The University of Miami hiring Mario Cristobal and bringing him home reads like a Disney feel-good story. But when we pull the curtain back, we find a toxic and bitterly divided fanbase behind the hire. In the forum on canesinsight.com, a vicious debate raged before Mario’s hiring. That was just the end of a battle waged over the last couple ...

Mario-Cristobal_Miami-Football-Twitter-3
FISHDUCK.COM

The University of Miami hiring Mario Cristobal and bringing him home reads like a Disney feel-good story. But when we pull the curtain back...
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I'm just glad corch No O Mari is in Miami (and not in Eugene)!  😀

Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

This season for Miami will tell if Cristobal learned in Eugene to get out of his own way.

Like the Hare in the fable, Mario is a strong starter. His term as head coach in Miami will be remembered by how he finishes, not how he starts.

Edited by Notalot
  • Applause 1

This was one of the more technically accurate articles assessing MC that I’ve ever read…yet I hated it! It crucifies a good man for being a work in progress. I cannot recall MC EVER throwing a player; coach; administrator, REPORTER, or anyone else under the bus for their deficiencies? It’s clear the people who play and work for MC will follow him to the end’s of the earth! At the end of the day, Coach Cristobal was lured home to coach his alma mater and comfort his dying mother as the clock ran down on her life. And in doing so - It would appear to me - he made the right call when it mattered most.

By the way…who wouldn’t make that call? And why would Duck fans be entertained by an article that vilifies the man that elevated our recruiting prowess and restored our winning culture - simply because he made the obvious choice? This article makes me question what has become of US? 

Thanks for the memories Coach.

Edited by marinz4Life
  • Salute 1
  • Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 5

MC will be just fine at tU.

You don’t have to exactly run a gauntlet loaded with trap doors and booby traps when playing in the ACC.   For crying out loud, the 2021 Subway ACC Championship Game was a battle waged between college football powerhouses - Pitt and Wake Forest.  Doesn’t really move the needle, does it?

If you care to keep one eye on the Canes this year, I suggest keeping eyeball number two on Clemson.  The Tigers saw their six-year run of manhandling the ACC come to a surprising end last season, and for the first time in long time, displayed QB play that can at best be described as “sub-par”.  Will the Tigers bounce back or can MC inch the Canes closer to the glory of days gone by?  Yes, I’m comfortable in overlooking the Pitt’s and Wake’s of the ACC.     

The Slurpers and the Mopes will certainly be using the Nov. 19 game in Death Valley as a litmus test for their head-to-head battle of words regarding the Havana Huckster. 

Me personally - I don’t care.  I don’t have to watch.  I know MC is the guy that will lend credibility to your program, and I know he’s the guy that year in and year out can get you a solid nine wins.  I also know that if you aspire to greater heights, his lack of vision and creativity will be your downfall.

Congrats to the Slurpers for winning the initial battle, but the ultimate glory of winning the war will belong to the Mopes. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/7/2022 at 6:44 AM, marinz4Life said:

who restored our culture,

I agree with much of what you stated, time to move on, and quietly eat some popcorn as we watch how it turns out. 

I don't agree he restored our culture. He built a solid foundation of talent to which we can restore our culture, but the habits I saw on the field and sideline weren't the traditions I grew up watching Oregon achieve.

I look forward to Lanning bringing back the innovative exciting football culture which is in my genes.

A gang green type defense, and an explosive unpredictable offense needs to be on the menu again. I also want to see execution and discipline as we move through each game and build to an exciting season ending outcome.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 3

This was one of the more technically accurate and sound articles - assessing MC - that I’ve ever read…yet I hated it! It crucifies a good man for being (like most of us) a work in progress. I do not recall MC EVER throwing a player; a coach; an administrator, REPORTER, or anyone else under the bus for their deficiencies? It’s clear the people who played and worked for MC would follow him to the end’s of the earth! At the end of the day, Coach Cristobal was lured home to coach his alma mater and comfort his dying mother as the clock ran down on her life:it would appear to me he made all the right calls when it mattered the most.

By the way…YOU wouldn’t make that call? And why would Duck fans be entertained by an article that vilifies the man that elevated our recruiting prowess and restored our winning culture - simply because he mad the obvious choice? This article makes me question what has become of US?

This article is clowning on Mario. It did not go after his personal character; it did not blame him for leaving Oregon. Mario gets paid millions of dollars to be a football coach.

It's fair game to clown him for being a corch. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 5

This article makes me question what has become of US?

No, your question is about YOU

It is apparent you are new here and have not read all the opinions over the last year about Mari, (we call him that because he doesn't know what to do with the "O") and thus you would understand the article, and why many of us find it entertainment.

Perhaps you were not at the games at Autzen when he was booed by the fans for such a terrible offense, when we had one that worked among the best before he arrived.  I am not going to link all the articles written by FishDuck writers, but the point is--you should not be judging us when you have no knowledge of what we have been through on this forum.  (And we do not criticize fellow members on this site; state your opinion and that's it.)

And when you don't know the rules.  I have spent countless hours haggling with people, consulting with OBD members and personally pondering where the line is that benefits everyone the best over the last five years.  And Rule 26 allows for stating anything about anyone--with the exception of players and coaches who are currently playing and coaching at Oregon.

You may criticize player performance and coaching decisions, but you cannot get personal with current players and coaches.  (Or OBD members) With everyone else?  The knives are out...

I want new members who post their views, and encourage them to do so often, but it must be within our rules that we enforce immediately.  With that--it was a good first post for you, but do see this page please, and do keeping sharing your thoughts.  And before you respond to this...you would be advised to look at Rule No. 3...

And your swipe at the fan base here is also "Throwing Group-Shade" of which we do not allow here either.  Learn about it right here.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

He are some posts from a canesinsight thread about the game we lost to Stanford last year.

'"every year he drops an inexplicable game to a clearly inferior team. like clockwork. this is the second time it's happened against stanford. this game never should've been close."

"I don’t need Undefeated Natty’s every year. Sign me up to go a guaranteed 10-2 stacking chances and being in the convo and we will win one of these eventually."

"But he went 4-3 last year"

"He had a NFL QB and managed to lose to a 5-6 Arizona State team and now has a BC reject, he couldn’t recruit another Qb in the 4 years he’s been there?"

"I think the only “bad loss” was against ASU two years ago. That’s the one his critics always point to. Brown JR is awful. I’m more concerned how Oregon hasn’t recruited a big time QB."

"57-57 career 500 coach. I don't understand the lovefest for the guy. He is not good. Ace recruiter is all they say."

"Mario is 10x the coach that Manny is. This is a fact. I can live with 9-10 win seasons when Mario comes. I can't live with the fraud coaching us now who will have us sweating wins against the App St.'s of the college football world if he stays"

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2022 at 7:10 AM, DazeNconfused said:

This article is clowning on Mario. It did not go after his personal character; it did not blame him for leaving Oregon. Mario gets paid millions of dollars to be a football coach.

It's fair game to clown him for being a corch. 

I also think it was interesting to hear about the two groups in the Mario hiring process. Diaz was a good coach who left Mario a solid foundation. Mario should be aware he is very similar to the guy they hired and then fired. 

There is no question Mario is a good man, players love him, but when you make $80 million to leave a program you are fair game to point out faults in your craft. Mario has plenty of faults once the first whistle blows all the way until the final whistle blows. 

In the end it was an interesting read and I will be curious to watch who is the most vocal this year the mopes or the slurpes?

• Thumbs Up 2

DZC....that was a hoot. That is going to be great fun to watch, and I appreciate you keeping tabs on the battle among fans over there.  I am always looking for new forms of entertainment, and you just nailed a new one!

In four years--Miami fans will be ready for a new coach who can take them to the next level; I believe we have ours right now...

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

This was one of the more technically accurate and sound articles - assessing MC - that I’ve ever read…yet I hated it! It crucifies a good man for being (like most of us) a work in progress. I do not recall MC EVER throwing a player; a coach; an administrator, REPORTER, or anyone else under the bus for their deficiencies? It’s clear the people who played and worked for MC would follow him to the end’s of the earth! At the end of the day, Coach Cristobal was lured home to coach his alma mater and comfort his dying mother as the clock ran down on her life:it would appear to me he made all the right calls when it mattered the most.

By the way…YOU wouldn’t make that call? And why would Duck fans be entertained by an article that vilifies the man that elevated our recruiting prowess and restored our winning culture - simply because he made the obvious choice? This article makes me question what has become of US?

They way Mariø left Oregon was slimy. He quit on his employer, he quit on his fan base and he quit on his players. He did it in the middle of the night and snuck out the back door, figuratively.

Home sweet home and the dying mother defense is empty. The way he left lacked integrity and dignity.  The definition of being a man has little to do with smash mouth tuff. It has everything to do with actions in uncomfortable situation.

Mariø failed those who trusted him. Nobody cared that he wanted to coach his alma mater, be with his sick mother. That's understandable.  The way he left was where I take issue. Mariø, in that moment, failed miserably. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 7

On 8/7/2022 at 7:30 AM, Log Haulin said:

Mariø failed those who trusted him.

Had he stayed?  I believe a third of the team would have entered the portal, and we had a boatload in there as it was before Lanning arrived.  In particular, I believe most of the receivers would have left, while now it is a position of long-term strength on this team.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/7/2022 at 7:24 AM, Haywarduck said:

I also think it was interesting to hear about the two groups in the Mario hiring process. Diaz was a good coach who left Mario a solid foundation. Mario should be aware he is very similar to the guy they hired and then fired. 

There is no question Mario is a good man, players love him, but when you make $80 million to leave a program you are fair game to point out faults in your craft. Mario has plenty of faults once the first whistle blows all the way until the final whistle blows. 

In the end it was an interesting read and I will be curious to watch who is the most vocal this year the mopes or the slurpes?

Miami goes to College Station to play Texas aTm and if they get blown out the Mopes will be bringing up the Utah games last year.

Mario-no-O is a good person, but I was so tired of his approach to football. How he squandered Justin’s generational gifts was a coaching crime. Clearly Justin is more gifted than Marcus but Chip helped Marcus win a Heisman Trophy. I wonder too if the huge numbers of injuries were tied to his approach. There is putting in the time and there is wearing yourself down and MC was great at the latter. Glad he is gone. Hope Lanning turns out better. What drew me to Oregon was the exciting and innovative ‘O’ and that has disappeared along with a large part of Oregon’s brand and allure to fans and players. 

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 8/7/2022 at 7:35 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Had he stayed?  I believe a third of the team would have entered the portal, and we had a boatload in there as it was before Lanning arrived.  In particular, I believe most of the receivers would have left, while now it is a position of long-term strength on this team.

Had he stayed he would have been exposed as a great salesman but lacked the chops of a power 5 HC. Something that was already coming to light.

I suspect that any exodus would have been a tell of something much more flawed than just not having chops. Imo, the way he left confirmed this theory. 

You can only pretend for so long, at some point reality comes to light. For many, Revelation has been masked for a bit longer by a $80m contract and a top 5 class.

This is just one mans opinion. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This was one of the more technically accurate articles assessing MC that I’ve ever read…yet I hated it! It crucifies a good man for being a work in progress. I cannot recall MC EVER throwing a player; coach; administrator, REPORTER, or anyone else under the bus for their deficiencies? It’s clear the people who play and work for MC will follow him to the end’s of the earth! At the end of the day, Coach Cristobal was lured home to coach his alma mater and comfort his dying mother as the clock ran down on her life. And in doing so - It would appear to me - he made the right call when it mattered most.

By the way…who wouldn’t make that call? And why would Duck fans be entertained by an article that vilifies the man that elevated our recruiting prowess and restored our winning culture - simply because he made the obvious choice? This article makes me question what has become of US? 

I agree with much of what you say but fact was MC was just mediocre at best as an HC. He had a plethora of talent and refused to let his OC be in control. He promised a return to exciting fast paced football and then put the brakes on the O with his "I'm tougher than you" on the field attitude. 

I do agree that he was a great players coach and left the program in great shape morally and physically for DL.

However he was hired to win games and bring an entertaining type of football to the field. In the end he failed on the entertaining part and left too many shoulda won's on the table. No one's going to dis on his character or his success on recruiting but those can only go so far.

I also don't blame him for leaving. I would've done the same.

BTW thanks for your service. 

• Thumbs Up 4

My big Problem with MC is that he recruited a seemingly talented group of recruits but didn't develop them well. Plus as Ive stated many times he just was not an X and Os coach.

I don't think the Mario bandwagon has taken the time to examine what it is about his coaching that is so great. I think they see two things and assume that he's great. First is the 2019 season that culminated with a victory in the Rose Bowl. Second is the win over Ohio St.

2019 was the perfect storm of having two of the best offensive and defensive leaders the Ducks have ever had both in their senior seasons. On D, Troy Dye was an absolute beast who lead the team in tackles every year he was on the team. On O, Herbert had the skills to have games won by halftime. The fact he had fairly average stats was a warning sign of what Mario's strangle hold on the offense could do. I'd say the biggest part of beating Utah and Wisconsin that year was Herbert just going for it rather than MC's coaching.

Second, there is the Ohio St game. The team did play inspired ball and had their best game of the year. They also went up against D coordinator that was in over his skies and was replaced right after the game. They also had a freshman QB making his second start that didn't have the full confidence of the coaching staff yet. Does anybody really think the UO would have won a rematch in the Rose Bowl if the Ducks had made it there?

Take away 2019 and the Ohio St game and Mario's time at UO is actually kind of underwhelming. Take away Herbert and Dye, and 2019 would have been much different. Miami will get to find this out for themselves soon enough.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

I agree with pretty much everything DZC articulated about MC in his article. I, like many on the OBDF, probably can't fault him for wanting to return home. But he seems to have given up on the team on his way out the door which does make him open season for criticism.

I feel like the Oregon fan base is the jilted BF/GF who's paramour decides to hook back up with their high school sweetheart. There is always a 'lack of interest' in the existing relationship before the ultimate breakup. The new/old relationship gets looked at by the jilted one with a sense of schadenfreude. And the departed paramour gets their personal traits picked apart by the one left behind until it no longer serves the purpose of making them feel better.

The way MC left fits with the ham-handed way he approached coaching, not a hell of a lot of subtlety. He got outfoxed by coaches that took his strengths and tendencies then used them against him. Maybe he will improve his coaching at the U and let his coordinators do their jobs. Maybe not. He's not Oregon's problem now. 

• Applause 2

On 8/7/2022 at 8:21 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I feel like the Oregon fan base is the jilted BF/GF who's paramour decides to hook back up with their high school sweetheart. There is always a 'lack of interest' in the existing relationship before the ultimate breakup. The new/old relationship gets looked at by the jilted one with a sense of schadenfreude. And the departed paramour gets their personal traits picked apart by the one left behind until it no longer serves the purpose of making them feel better.

My therapist said all my baggage you referenced above, has nothing to why I wrote the article. hahahaha

• Haha 3

Im going out on a limb. The 2025 HC of The Miami Hurricanes will be-----------Mike Leach--You heard it here first. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good grief, Slurpers and Mopes. At least Duck Nation can disagree without launching into civil war. 

Terrific take on things, DC.

Cristobal had fairly run his course at Oregon. He did the right thing for himself and for Oregon by heading home. Hoping the best for him but seems clear he won’t have a honeymoon period. The Mopes have their pugios at ready, which is understandable given the money they spent to get him.  

• Thumbs Up 2

DnC, another well thought out, well written article. There's alot to digest and it really evoked some passionate feelings I personally have on this topic........

As you and many Forum members have pointed out....

MC great recruiter

MC average coach

Cane fans will discover the roller coaster ride that is MC. He will bring top 10 and maybe top 5 recruiting classes in. He will give Clemson a run for their money on the receuiting trail.

Cane fans in both camps will be singing his praises.......

Then when the games start, out pops the average coach. His highly talented players will show lack of player development. You dont win games based upon how many stars your players have next to their name.

You win games by how well you develop your players into playing like stars. Preparing those players and their attitudes to face tOSU, USC and WIsky in the Rose Bowl is easy. It's having your team prepared to beat Stanford, ASU, Boise State, etc, when the focus is not there.

Great coaches have a game plan to execute against teams you should destroy. Average coaches, like MC seem to lack that ability.

As many on this thread have pointed out..... Canes fans will find out for themselves.

As a Duck fan I wonder how many 8 to 14 years kids were excited about what they saw when the watched a Duck game? 

As The Kamikaze Kid mentioned other than 2019 and the game against tOSU, the Ducks under MC have been underwhelming.

Actually in retrospect, since the 2nd half meltdown against TCU in the forgetable Alamo Bowl, Duck football has been somewhat underwhelming.

Now before some of you come unglued their have been some great moments and the 2019 season. Any time you beat uscuck its exciting, too.

I am sharing my feelings based upon the exciting performance beginning with the Chip years all the way thru the first half of the TCU Alamo Bowl. ......

That was exciting football. The type of football that built the national brand that is Oregon.

MC did not embrace that Brand. IMHO MC's brand is not that exciting.

Go coach DL. Restore the excitement to the brand....

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

My feeling is that since Mario is no longer the coach at Oregon that I don't have all that much interest in him anymore. He recruited well at Oregon, took the team to PAC-12 championships, but sometimes lost games that it certainly seems shouldn't have been lost, and left in a way that left a sour taste in the mouth in that he seemed to be out the door by the middle of November. But for good or ill, he's Miami's coach now. I'd much rather focus on Dan Lanning and the Ducks.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

There is no question as to the positives that MC brought to the ducks in regards to character, work ethic and integrity, so I am hesitant to vilify the man for the shortcomings that we saw as time passed.

The test for him will be whether he learns from his failures at Oregon and correct them or repeats them. Bill Belicheck and Pete Carroll both had horrendous stops along the road but they leanred/adapted and eventually become top tier coaches. The sad fact for Oregon was that MC probably needed to crash and burn before the lessons were learned, and – if he has learned – they came at Oregon’s expense.

I wish MC well, right up to the moment when his team takes the field against the Ducks

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mario did UoO a lot better than Chip Kelly ever did. Like every coach Chip had strengths and weakness's. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As usual, a great article on FD, with some brilliant posts on OBDF. My heartfelt thanks to all, especially to Mr. Charles, who made it possible for all of us to play in his playground!

IMHO, I find it interesting how the 2 factions in the Canes camp are so similar to what we here on OBDF have been doing over Mari’s tenure at the 

mighty O.

When WT left, and the PLAYERS came out in strong support of MC, I, like more than a few others was just a slurpin’ like a madman!  

Then after watching some magnificent Duck players get Corched down, and some potential wins get corched into defeat, many of us started to fall into the (not really mopes, but more like the) anti-MC camp.  All the really dumb MC moves (mentioned ad-nauseum above) really made it hard to see a Duck future with this guy.

Whatever the reason (Sick mom, close to home, alma mater, more money, getting out of dodge before the reckoning) I personally am glad things went down like they did!  

Let MC corch the Canes into mediocracy, our beloved Ducks have a far better Coach and Staff to guide our future!

GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/7/2022 at 9:26 AM, Duckhart said:

Mario did UoO a lot better than Chip Kelly ever did. Like every coach Chip had strengths and weakness's. 

Chip left in mid January. Yea, he told Duck Nation he was staying put and changed his mind a week later. Disappointing for sure.

Mariø left in the middle of early signing and with a few games left to play. Bounced before the bowl game, mentally and emotionally gone long before that. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Thanks for the article but along with Annie my focus is on DL, his staff, and the players and their families. It’s the start of fall practice and I am looking forward to watching our new age Ducks hit the field.

I have spent a lot of time bad mouthing Mari no O and his football I Q the last few months which he richly  deserved. I’d like to say I won’t do it again but I’m sure I will the first time he looses a game.

His recruiting genius, line of BS he sold to the parents of his recruits, and the way he dumped on them was inexcusable behavior and in my eyes can never be accepted.

Can you imagine Mike Leach coaching Miami with that talent? Kind of scary don’t you think!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/7/2022 at 9:29 AM, PittDuck said:

IMHO, I find it interesting how the 2 factions in the Canes camp are so similar to what we here on OBDF have been doing over Mari’s tenure at the mighty O.

Miami fans have had a beef over Mario since when they hired Manny Diaz. The Diaz hiring was another fight I won't get into.

Every year they would have a "we should have hired Mario - not Manny" slugfest and as a result the Miami fans are acutely aware of Mario's faults.

The Pro-Camp that wanted them to hire Mario away from Oregon in 2019 really picked all things Manny Diaz apart, from the day he was hired until he was fired.

The Anti-Camp that didn't want Mario always threw Mario's mistakes up to document them ad nauseum, and then launched a full blown anyone but Mario campaign right before the Mario hire.

Unlike Oregon fans who had to watch, see and learn who Mario was as a coach, Miami fans know it from Day 1 because they watched him while he corched at Oregon.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mario did UoO a lot better than Chip Kelly ever did

I disagree.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 8/7/2022 at 9:56 AM, Just Ducky said:

Thanks for the article but along with Annie my focus is on DL, his staff, and the players and their families. It’s the start of fall practice and I am looking forward to watching our new age Ducks hit the field.

I have spent a lot of time bad mouthing Mari no O and his football I Q the last few months which he richly  deserved. I’d like to say I won’t do it again but I’m sure I will the first time he looses a game.

His recruiting genius, line of BS he sold to the parents of his recruits, and the way he dumped on them was inexcusable behavior and in my eyes can never be accepted.

Can you imagine Mike Leach coaching Miami with that talent? Kind of scary don’t you think!

In another thread here I predict Leach could be the coach at Miami in 3 years.

• Wow 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/7/2022 at 9:56 AM, Just Ducky said:

I've been hitting the Ducks articles hard recently.

( Stable of 5 Star QBs. Dillys Coaching Tree, Bennett Williams All-Pac, Bo Nix Bandwagon Buy-In, How High Can Dillys Ducks Fly)

But I also will mix in some other type of stories for a little different bit of flavor, like Mario today.

Next week I will hit you with football hard but throw one in for a different flavor too.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Chip had The Ducks in the Rose Bowl year one. He had them in the Natty year two. He had them winning NY6 bowls years three and four.  Also left them well positioned to make a championship run after he left. 

He also turned the Ducks into a dream school for kids to this day. If Mario out did all of that, I must have missed something.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 8

In defense of Mario he could be a good coach with a generational RB who can pound the rock. If he gets a Derrick Henry type running back he could create a team which could cause problems. The problem is there aren't too many RB's like Henry. 

Without a RB who can run over people Cristobal is stuck with his instincts which is to run over people, without the talent to do it. Maybe if he had a Gronk he could also look like a good coach. The problem there is there aren't too many Gronks either. 

Basically Miami will be left with some amazing sound bites, a lot of hope, and a continued fantasy about what was. They will be left with, much like Nebraska, their dream coach, and then what when that fails? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2022 at 9:59 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

In another thread here I predict Leach could be the coach at Miami in 3 years.

Now that I’d want a front row seat for,  just to watch the Leach affect on Miami culture. The press conferences would be up for Emmys.

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling
  • Haha 1

On 8/7/2022 at 7:30 AM, Log Haulin said:

They way Mariø left Oregon was slimy. He quit on his employer, he quit on his fan base and he quit on his players. He did it in the middle of the night and snuck out the back door, figuratively.

I completely agree. The two embarrassing losses to Utah occurred because Mario quit on Oregon, and for his own selfish reasons. Those two defeats cost the Ducks a berth in the College Football Playoff, a Pac-12 championship, and a Rose Bowl appearance. We don't owe Mario any thanks; on the contrary, he owes us an apology, and it's one that we'll never get. 

I've bought a new popcorn popper just for Miami football games. Let's go, Corch!

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've been checking out CanesInsight a bit as well. Gonna be an interesting few year in Miami. A poster named Yoyo82 posted yesterday:

"One thing I expect is for the head scratching losses to mostly go away due to inconsistent performance.

It seemed like our last few coaches did not know which team was going to show up on Saturday and sometimes we'd come out guns blazing and blow out a pretty good team and sometimes we'd come out flat and be in a dogfight with a terrible team only to squeak it out or still lose in the end.

I expect Mario to have his teams consistently performing at the talent level on the team which means we should win most of our ACC games pretty easily instead of going into a Duke or GT game and wondering "is this the one where we flop?" I'd expect to get to Clemson's level in the ACC pretty quickly where there's like 6 guaranteed conference wins on the schedule every year and only 1 or 2 dogfights."

Big bag of popcorn indeed.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I cannot recall MC EVER throwing a player; coach; administrator, REPORTER, or anyone else under the bus for their deficiencies?

I don’t recall anyone in Duckdom ever questioning MC’s ethical intentions towards those with whom (who?) he had personal relationships. I’m also pretty sure if someone did, someone else called them out on the carpet.

No, this has less to do with MariU character assassination, and more to do with the fact that all’s fair in love and war and stealing college head coaches, and the fact that all football fans permanently live under the bus.

You couldn’t script a daytime soap any worse than the drama lived-out by your average fan who powerlessly exists on the threshold of being a jilted lover 24/7.

Being a football fan is the definition of deficiency.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks again Daze for another fun article.  Very entertaining!  Loved the take on the Slurps and the Mopes at Miami.  You've done a superb job explaining the definition of the word 'corch' and MC's connectivity to that word.

MC excelled as a recruiter and brought a supporting cast who recruited well.  As a HC he had flaws.  Not going to rehash what you already mentioned in your article and other fellow OBD members have mentioned here on those flaws.

Though OBD pointed out the infractions of these flaws during his time at Oregon, we patiently hoped MC would grow, learn, mature and correct these flaws, potentially become the HC/CEO at Oregon we thought he could become.  Unfortunately it seemed he was not willing to change.  Majority of the time offense became vanilla and predictable.

We are now in the Dan Lanning era!  I love so far what I am hearing and seeing about him and his coaching/supporting staff.  it's infectious!  That you can also see from the players.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2022 at 11:40 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Now that I’d want a front row seat for,  just to watch the Leach affect on Miami culture. The press conferences  would be up for Emmy’s.

It would be a blast. I do a pretty good Leach impression and I could just hear it now--LOL

I agree in principle with you on this. I wish we were better than throwing shade on someone who lifted our program and left it better than he found it.

But, the season hasn't started yet, and many peops do like to "poke" those who aren't us, and Mario is longer one of us.

MC was the one who notified Spencer's brother. From Miami.

Apparently he still is valued by current players and families.

I for one was not entertained by this article. So what. This great site is for way more than just me. I don't have to like everything. 

I do like our new coach. But that can change. Results are everything now.

• Great post! 1

That--in my view--was a great piece of writing, DNC. Very entertaining. I'm not an MC hater, but I certainly was frustrated watching his coaching style play out year after year. For me, the Pittman departure was really telling. Thus, while I appreciate the kind of guy MC is, I breathed a sigh of relief when he moved on to Miami. Although I was not upset that he left us, I was certainly worried as the search for his successor slowly unfolded. Initially worried that Lanning was a "reach" by Mullins, I'm now nearly convinced that we've got a bona fide "steal" in our bright-eyed young coach. All I need to confirm that thought is to see how he coaches up "the kids" (sorry, I lived through the Don Read years) on Saturdays. 

So, I appreciate your spin on the MC situation at The U, Confucius. The Mopes--not to be confused with The Moops--and the Slurps are hilarious nicknames. And, I've now added "Corch" to my football vernacular.  Keep 'em coming.

I wish Mario the best of luck I’ll root for the hurricanes as long as they are not playing the ducks.

He always handled himself and the program with the upmost of class while he was here, got us a couple pac12 championships and won a rose bowl.  

Now I’m moving on and focusing only on Lanning and the ducks! 

no bitterness towards him from me at all only gratitude 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/7/2022 at 2:03 PM, Southwest Duck said:

I wish Mario the best of luck I’ll root for the hurricanes as long as they are not playing the ducks.

He always handled himself and the program with the upmost of class while he was here, got us a couple pac12 championships and won a rose bowl.  

Now I’m moving on and focusing only on Lanning and the ducks! 

no bitterness towards him from me at all only gratitude 

Except for walking out on the Ducks 8 games after the season started.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

During spring break him and his wife were partying down in Miami--check YouTube. This man was never truly a Duck. We were a stepping stone.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2022 at 10:41 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Chip had The Ducks in the Rose Bowl year one. He had them in the Natty year two. He had them winning NY6 bowls years three and four.  Also left them well positioned to make a championship run after he left. 

He also turned the Ducks into a dream school for kids to this day. If Mario out did all of that, I must have missed something.

Mike left Chip with a loaded roster, but yeah he did well even if he disliked recruiting and left when he/the program, knew he recruiting violations were coming down.

He also had a big ego when it came to using his small back to try and run between tackles of the best defense in the league in the Naddy. Also his pass on a fg for a 4thn and short, that cost big time.

He did not coach the best game against Auburn as he went away from allowing his backs speed to get outside and allowing DT do rpo. We had that game won and it was because Chip's ego to prove he run small backs in at gtg. He was pretty arrogant in his approach with fans and media too.

• Thumbs Up 1