FishDuck Article

Mario Cristobal--When the Knives Come Out

I wasn't going to read this article at first because I'm pretty much over the miami coach, but I caved and gave it a click....so glad I did.

Love the term "corch" and the examples given to help define the term...those are perfect qualifiers and sure enough, the miami coach is the poster-boy of all things corch related. 

Felt good to read that others felt pretty much the same way and saw the same ridiculously embarrassing short-comings and limitations of that clown.  Can't wait to watch from afar as history repeats itself knowing we will never have to deal with that corch again.

• Thumbs Up 1

When WT dumped Oregon, the timing was terrible, and we needed a solution quick.  Mario filled that spot, and if I remember, was emphatic this was long term and he'd have to be dragged out of Eugene.  He was a hard worker, personable, great recruiter, and the players loved him.  I think he put everything he had into the program until the last year, and unlike WT, didn't bolt for Miami the first time the position was open.

While he had shortcomings as a game coach and serious stubborness, we won a lot of games at Oregon, though most in a pretty boring fashion.  I've never considered Mario to be stupid, and would think he would eventually learn from past mistakes, so I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he will give a little more control to his coordinators going forward.  Oregon was used as a learning experience by him, so we'll see what he has learned.  I'm sure he's heard all negativity about his offense and coaching, so we'll see what he does about it.

While I agree that he seemed to check out the second half of the season, about the time his offense got booed, it's hard to find a good time or way to leave a program .  If he's too open about being a candidate, he risks his recruiting class, transfers and assistant coaches.  If he keeps quiet until the last minute and bolts, he's ticks off fans and the athletic department.  It also appears to me he didn't go looking for just any better job, he went with one that has serious importance to him for several reasons.

I'll just cut him some slack, glad he's moved on, and look forward to a more interesting team to watch.  On the side, I might pay a little attention as to whether he has actually learned anything while at Oregon.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mario: good recruiter; incompetent coach.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/7/2022 at 5:09 PM, 47sgs said:

While I agree that he seemed to check out the second half of the season, about the time his offense got booed

To Mario...two things are most important; toughness and loyalty.  He played Anthony Brown almost exclusively because he was showing underclassmen to wait your turn because he will be "loyal" to you when your turn comes.

When Cristobal heard the boos, (and knew it was directed at him) I believe he regarded that as a betrayal by the "ungrateful" Oregon fans, the worst thing you can do in his world, and that is being "disloyal."

After he got over the shock?  I believe he made the "I'm headed to Miami" decision, and that was when....the Cal game?  In his mind--we deserved to be dumped, and did not deserve his full attention because of such terrible disloyalty.

"And I'm being underpaid as well."

My theory anyway, and while I could be wrong--it is a very plausible scenario.

Cristobal pondering_GoDucks.jpg

• Salute 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

I debated the merits of responding to this for no other reason than I am now a bit conflicted on MC.

I very much liked the hire  when it happened.  I thought he was the right guy at the right time and I honestly felt his passion about Oregon was real.

A Duck friend and I had a very vigorous debate at the time.  He did not think MC was the right guy but is a die hard Duck like all of us and supported him.  My friend said there were 'things' about MC he just didn't like.  He said he wanted to keep those to himself because he knew I liked MC and didn't want to turn it into a point of contention.

Fast forward- I was chagrined when I saw MC engage with  the Stonybrook coach at the end of that game.  That was not a good look.  

I was at Stanford and MC was out coached and out schemed by a team with far less talent,. Frankly the ducks looked totally unprepared that day and I get it that things were unsettling because of Moorhead's health emergency. But that was not good in any way.  

The next unsettling thing for me was Mario's dressing down of Kris Hutson on national TV.  

I don't in any way agree with Rod Gilmore's accusation of racism but it was a very bad look and I was told some of the major donors were not happy with that either.  

We've sliced and diced the Utah games ad nauseam so no need for more of that.  But, all of these things altered my views of MC.  

I will say I don't in any way think he was being deceptive when he went to Miami to see his mother, she obviously was seriously ill.  

I do think though based on some partially confirmed rumors that MC was talking to Miami earlier than he said though.

The bottom line here,.MC could recruit, his coaching skills are questionable.  Maybe he will grow.  I do not wish him any I'll will.

BTW- my friend finally told me his thoughts on MC and I have to give him credit, he nailed it.

Edited by Augduck
Fixed formatting

On 8/7/2022 at 5:22 PM, Charles Fischer said:

To Mario...two things are most important; toughness and loyalty.  He played Anthony Brown almost exclusively because he was showing underclassmen to wait your turn because he will be "loyal" to you when your turn comes.

When Cristobal heard the boos, (and knew it was directed at him) I believe he regarded that as a betrayal by the "ungrateful" Oregon fans, the worst thing you can do in his world, and that is being "disloyal."

After he got over the shock?  I believe he made the "I'm headed to Miami" decision, and that was when....the Cal game?  In his mind--we deserved to be dumped, and did not deserve his full attention because of such terrible disloyalty.

Cristobal pondering_GoDucks.jpg

If 68k people are telling you something, maybe you should listen.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/7/2022 at 5:09 PM, 47sgs said:

When WT dumped Oregon, the timing was terrible, and we needed a solution quick.  Mario filled that spot, and if I remember, was emphatic this was long term and he'd have to be dragged out of Eugene.  He was a hard worker, personable, great recruiter, and the players loved him.  I think he put everything he had into the program until the last year, and unlike WT, didn't bolt for Miami the first time the position was open.

While he had shortcomings as a game coach and serious stubborness, we won a lot of games at Oregon, though most in a pretty boring fashion.  I've never considered Mario to be stupid, and would think he would eventually learn from past mistakes, so I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he will give a little more control to his coordinators going forward.  Oregon was used as a learning experience by him, so we'll see what he has learned.  I'm sure he's heard all negativity about his offense and coaching, so we'll see what he does about it.

While I agree that he seemed to check out the second half of the season, about the time his offense got booed, it's hard to find a good time or way to leave a program .  If he's too open about being a candidate, he risks his recruiting class, transfers and assistant coaches.  If he keeps quiet until the last minute and bolts, he's ticks off fans and the athletic department.  It also appears to me he didn't go looking for just any better job, he went with one that has serious importance to him for several reasons.

I'll just cut him some slack, glad he's moved on, and look forward to a more interesting team to watch.  On the side, I might pay a little attention as to whether he has actually learned anything while at Oregon.

This was an excellent post and pretty much mirrors my sentiments as well.

On 8/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Interesting take and I hadn't thought of it from the perspective that he see's/saw the Oregon fanbase as disloyal.  If that is the case, I wonder if that played a part  with some of the transfers that happened/nearly happened after his departure...those players also felt betrayed by the fans as well.  

If DL kills it this year (I think he does) and brings back the positive energy that Oregon fans became accustomed to in the CK days, I think DL will earn that fan loyalty quickly...just as CK and many of the still beloved Duck player of that era did.  If so, that should be another lesson learned for the miami corch, loyalty isn't guaranteed, it's earned. 

Edited by DCDuckfan
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2022 at 5:27 PM, Augduck said:

I debated the merits of responding to this for no other reason than I am now a bit conflicted on MC.

I very much liked the hire  when it happened.  I thought he was the right guy at the right time and I honestly felt his passion about Oregon was real.

A Duck friend and I had a very vigorous debate at the time.  He did not think MC was the right guy but is a die hard Duck like all of us and supported him.  My friend said there were 'things' about MC he just didn't like.  He said he wanted to keep those to himself because he knew I liked MC and didn't want to turn it into a point of contention.

Fast forward- I was chagrined when I saw MC engage with  the Stonybrook coach at the end of that game.  That was not a good look.  

I was at Stanford and MC was out coached and out schemed by a team with far less talent,. Frankly the ducks looked totally unprepared that day and I get it that things were unsettling because of Moorhead's health emergency. But that was not good in any way.  

The next unsettling thing for me was Mario's dressing down of Kris Hutson on national TV.  

I don't in any way agree with Rod Gilmore's accusation of racism but it was a very bad look and I was told some of the major donors were not happy with that either.  

We've sliced and diced the Utah games ad nauseam so no need for more of that.  But, all of these things altered my views of MC.  

I will say I don't in any way think he was being deceptive when he went to Miami to see his mother, she obviously was seriously ill.  

I do think though based on some partially confirmed rumors that MC was talking to Miami earlier than he said though.

The bottom line here,.MC could recruit, his coaching skills are questionable.  Maybe he will grow.  I do not wish him any I'll will.

BTW- my friend finally told me his thoughts on MC and I have to give him credit, he nailed it.

A lot to digest in this post and a lot of good takeaways. 

I was somewhat skeptical regarding his hiring, just as your friend was...it felt hasty and Oregon didn't seem to look seriously for external candidates.  I think the players advocating for him had a somewhat significant impact on the decision, which feeds into the loyalty discussion in another thread.  I think ND may have just done the same thing with their coaching situation, hopefully it works out better for them than it did for the Ducks.

As far as the Stonybrook game, I need to go back and see what you're referring to there because I have no recollection of anything unusual at the end of that game.  I agree 100% with the Hutson incident...both in how he handled Huston's penalty and the outrageous claims Rod was making on TV that were slanderous.  

It seems you have a very measured approach to how you assessed the former coaches hiring...I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the DL hiring and what your initial thoughts and gut feelings are.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, DazeNconfused said:

"He had a NFL QB and managed to lose to a 5-6 Arizona State team

All I'll say about this is, Herbert forced two bad throws in the 4th quarter for inexplicable INTs in that game.  Those aren't on Mario.

The discussion on Miami happened immediately after the Ohio State game. Herbstreit even asked Mario directly about Miami being a possibility a week after. Mario told him essentially there's nothing to add to that as of right now but maybe later. These deals always get started earlier than anyone or the media suspects. 

• Great post! 1

On 8/7/2022 at 11:02 PM, Flaps2 said:

The discussion on Miami happened immediately after the Ohio State game. Herbstreit even asked Mario directly about Miami being a possibility a week after. Mario told him essentially there's nothing to add to that as of right now but maybe later. These deals always get started earlier than anyone or the media suspects. 

This is consistent with some things I heard.  

One of the "RUMORS' making the rounds was that the Miami people, namely John Ruiz (if you are not familiar with him, do yourself a favor and Google him) wanted to see how Oregon did when they played Ohio State.  The word on the streets was Ruiz contacted MC on the flight back to Eugene from Columbus. 

I don't know this to be 100% true but it has been repeated by more than a few people over the last several months,  some of whom who do have credible connections.

Take it FWIW.

On 8/7/2022 at 9:39 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

All I'll say about this is, Herbert forced two bad throws in the 4th quarter for inexplicable INTs in that game.  Those aren't on Mario.

No they aren't.  However all QBs will throw an INT every now and then, they'll make mistakes.  Doesn't take away from the fact that Mario's offense severely restricted what Herbert could do on the field, even causing him to regress in development.  That's completely on Mario.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2022 at 9:39 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

It was ALL on Mario offensively and our DB's gave up at least two long TD passes. 

ASU was schemed for our Pistol with the dink and dunk passes. We went up 7-0 in the first quarter and then ASU scored 24 unanswered points to be up 24-7 with around 9 minutes left in the game. 

Then Mario decided we had to stop the stupid Pistol with the dink and dunk passing and we put up 21 points in the last 9 minutes of the game. One of the drives Herbs threw 3 passes for around 70 yards in less than a minute. 

If Mario had unleashed Herbs from the start of the game the Ducks could have put Arizona away!

Chip would have had that game over by halftime! Herbs would have never been put in the situation to have to rally the team on his back at the end of the game.

Mario at least broke tendencies and ran Herbs against Utah and Wisconsin. You can't run a bland power run offense all year that doesn't take deep shots to stretch the defense and not end up with teams stacking the box on you.

Auburn did just that to the Ducks most of the second half and we played right into with runs and shallow 6-yard routes. When they stacked the box and cut how deep they set the safeties we should have gone over the top of the with the deep pass. Auburn wasn't playing anything deeper than 10 yards!

Mario never got the fundamentals of if the defense tries to take one thing away from you then they are giving up something else. When a defense stacks the box against your power run, and you don't attack them deep you're playing Stupid.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/7/2022 at 5:22 PM, Charles Fischer said:

After he got over the shock?  I believe he made the "I'm headed to Miami" decision, and that was when....the Cal game?  In his mind--we deserved to be dumped, and did not deserve his full attention because of such terrible disloyalty....

If this is true, it will be interesting to see what happens if Miami has a so-so season or two. Will the fans give him a chance and stick with him, or will there be some boos in the stands at Hard Rock Stadium? And if there should be boos, how will he react?

On 8/7/2022 at 7:22 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This had not once occurred to me and I'm glad you brought it up.  I believe the boos were warranted as it let him know that his actions weren't lining up with his speech about bringing an exciting offense back to Eugene, however if in his mind it was a betrayal then it explains why he was out the door before the season ended. I know I wouldn't feel like I owed anyone that betrayed me a thing!

I also find it telling that initially the players CHOSE Mario (and a few stuck with him) but in the end they started abandoning ship...it would appear that maybe they felt betrayed as well.  Oh well you know what they say, "all's well that ends well!"

Several people said the players loved Mario. Agreed. However, there’s an aspect that keeps popping up in player interviews. 

Present players are intimating at a much improved culture and cohesiveness and football now being fun again, suggesting that it wasn’t a tight team under MC. I Think there’s meat on those bones. The Steaks are ahead. 

Mario was a net benefit to Oregon and if the Ducks are successful this year, he deserves some credit. I’m both thankful for his tenure and not at all unhappy that he’s now in Miami. Like others the way it went down was the issue. 

I expect better cohesion effort and preparedness from kickoff. I expect better motivation and WHY. MC Ducks were slow starters. I expect a faster more aggressive dynamic big play offense and an aggressive multiple look defense that creates lots of exciting big plays, takeaways, and opportunities for the offense. Speed length size and ability will matter most and the talented will find the field as soon as ready.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/8/2022 at 10:07 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Several people said the players loved Mario. Agreed. However, there’s an aspect that keeps popping up in player interviews. 

Present players are intimating at a much improved culture and cohesiveness and football now being fun again, suggesting that it wasn’t a tight team under MC. I Think there’s meat on those bones. The Steaks are ahead. 

Mario was a net benefit to Oregon and if the Ducks are successful this year, he deserves some credit. I’m both thankful for his tenure and not at all unhappy that he’s now in Miami. Like others the way it went down was the issue. 

I expect better cohesion effort and preparedness from kickoff. I expect better motivation and WHY. MC Ducks were slow starters. I expect a faster more aggressive dynamic big play offense and an aggressive multiple look defense that creates lots of exciting big plays, takeaways, and opportunities for the offense. Speed length size and ability will matter most and the talented will find the field as soon as ready.  

You hit upon something I immediately noticed when I listened to some of the interviews from media day last week.   Specifically Bennett Williams said 'football was fun again'.  That is very interesting to me.

Bradyn Swinson also said something similar.

In my post about MC I mentioned my friend who was not in favor of MC being hired, the one thing he would reiterate to me over and over was that he thought the team played tight because that's how MC coached them. 

My friend who played football at UO said teams that are tight lose focus and make mistakes.   He also said he did not think MC was the developer of offensive line talent that he (MC) thought he was.   Yes, Penei Sewell was good but also what we might consider 'generational talent'.  

All intersting fodder for debate for sure.

As I said, I appreciated MC for his passion and the fact he truly did care about the university and the players.   I did not always like his 'sideline' behavior at times as referenced in my post.  There was a reason Feld was always near by him.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/8/2022 at 1:27 PM, Augduck said:

You hit upon something I immediately noticed when I listened to some of the interviews from media day last week.   Specifically Bennett Williams said 'football was fun again'.  That is very interesting to me.

This was happening even five months ago....and we wrote about it here.

Dan-Lanning_Eric-Evans-of-GoDucks.com_-3
FISHDUCK.COM

When you have been managing a couple Oregon football sites for a decade with hundreds of contacts among all the readers, writers, photographers...

Mr. FishDuck

This article is too true although, I think the finish will come in 2-3 years. Right now if he notches 1 more win that Manny, they'll give him rope. However, when he's expected to wipe the field with the talent they've landed and the drop games due to his "corching". Well, the knives will certainly come out but yeah, he'll get that this year for sure. 

Being a mediocre coach is not a character flaw.  Agree with others, he just didn't have a Plan B if his power running game wasn't working.  Why his game plan for Utah.2 was exactly the same as Utah.1 is beyond me.

Breakups are never pretty, but nearly everyone in the workforce explores other options at one time or another.  Doesn't mean disloyalty, business is business.  Throw in the powerful draw of home and family (not to mention a boat load of money), how many of us would have done differently?

MC took over a program in dire straits and left it in much better shape than he inherited.  Am I disappointed with blowing our chances at the CFP twice under his tenure?  You bet.

That said, we're landing on our feet; for me it's just time to move on and I wish him the best at Miami.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/7/2022 at 11:02 PM, Flaps2 said:

We will never know exactly what happened, but this is likely part of the equation. 

The interesting part is, once again, we are better off after a coach has left, who does that? Well done Oregon, now let's move on!

As far as the hurricane watch, if they don't start off 3-1 the mopes will be chirping loudly. As tough as Oregon's early schedule is Miami's is soft, except for the game at college station.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I challenge any notion that his expertise extended beyond his ability to recruit and play the father figure to many fatherless athletes. Even with his experience as an OL player and position coach, I cannot say with absolute certainty that our OL improved under him.  We just got higher caliber athletes like Penei Sewell.

Four seasons as Oregon's HC, I thought it would have been apparent to the entire college football world by now.  MariØ is an elite, world class recruiter but a subpar coach at best. He's had the luxury of playing in a weak conference, with a floundering USC, while more than half the country is asleep.

That's all going to change now that he's on the East Coast, with more invested eyes watching his every misstep.  His only saving grace has been his recruiting.

I cherish the win against Ohio State, but we would be naive to think that was a normal season for the Buckeyes.  We were fortunate to catch them with their pants down, early in the season, playing a true frosh QB, and a young defense that was struggling to find its identity.  Scoring 3 TDs on back-to-back drives and running the ball with the same play should have been a strong indication of how in disarray their defense was that game and for most of the season.

Two conference titles and one Rose Bowl win, by the narrowest of margins, isn't saying much, especially when you consider the huge talent pool disparity that he enjoyed over the rest of the Pac-12.  Don't forget, the Ducks got to the second Pac-12 championship game by default, when the Fuskies were infected with COVID.

The fact that he failed to deliver a playoff berth during his tenure as HC, shows his incompetence and shortcomings as a HC.  The Ducks were regularly being outcoached by lesser teams which made the Ducks susceptible to a loss on any given Saturday, even at home. What made things worse, is that he didn't learn from his mistakes, too pigheaded and inflexible.

Miami fans will soon come to realize that MariØ is in over his head on the field.  When they do, they will quickly grow tired of him and find themselves clamoring for change.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mullens hired Helf, Taggart & Mario, I hope he hits on DL.

On 8/8/2022 at 12:39 AM, chrisjenn99 said:

To me, the ASU loss wasn’t the issue. The issue was that Oregon had arguably the best QB in the nation in JH, but nobody knew it. Including Mario. The fact that he was only ever Honorable Mention All-Pac 12 says a lot about his coaching. The Chargers had to be giddy about getting a great QB with low mileage.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/8/2022 at 5:20 PM, Duckhart said:

Mullens hired Helf, Taggart & Mario, I hope he hits on DL.

Well as a manager who has hired a lot of people I can tell you it ain't easy.   Some people interview very well and I heard that Mario did interview well.   I would actually expect that. 

And let's not forget his Alabama experience carried a lot of credibility with people and that's fair.  In my world there was a time if you could get someone from IBM or one of the big consulting firms that was golden.   

One of the things that some people forget  that is not widely spoken about is that  Saban demoted Mario a couple of times while at Alabama.  Don't know any details and water under the bridge now but heard it from a former customer of mine who  works at the Univ of Alabama in the finance office . 

We still keep in touch and she recently reached out and was asking what I thought about the whole situation.  (She's a passionate Tide fan)  He was liked in Alabama, no issue there.   

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/8/2022 at 11:39 AM, DazeNconfused said:

It was ALL on Mario offensively and our DB's gave up at least two long TD passes. 

ASU was schemed for our Pistol with the dink and dunk passes. We went up 7-0 in the first quarter and then ASU scored 24 unanswered points to be up 24-7 with around 9 minutes left in the game. 

Then Mario decided we had to stop the stupid Pistol with the dink and dunk passing and we put up 21 points in the last 9 minutes of the game. One of the drives Herbs threw 3 passes for around 70 yards in less than a minute. 

If Mario had unleashed Herbs from the start of the game the Ducks could have put Arizona away!

Chip would have had that game over by halftime! Herbs would have never been put in the situation to have to rally the team on his back at the end of the game.

Mario at least broke tendencies and ran Herbs against Utah and Wisconsin. You can't run a bland power run offense all year that doesn't take deep shots to stretch the defense and not end up with teams stacking the box on you.

Auburn did just that to the Ducks most of the second half and we played right into with runs and shallow 6-yard routes. When they stacked the box and cut how deep they set the safeties we should have gone over the top of the with the deep pass. Auburn wasn't playing anything deeper than 10 yards!

Mario never got the fundamentals of if the defense tries to take one thing away from you then they are giving up something else. When a defense stacks the box against your power run, and you don't attack them deep you're playing Stupid.

To be fair to MC, he was protecting Herbs until we got through the regular season. With BB backing him up we had zero chance of winning. At least that's how I read. 

However, your point on stacking the box couldn't be more accurate..of course, we had limited talent at WR and not exactly the most advanced passing schemes. Regardless, Herbs threw dimes and we should have been able to scheme this into the game more consistently. 

MC came at the right time and instilled discipline and disproved recruiting myths but was out of his depth when it came to the "chess of football" at this level. I'd guess he repeats the same mistakes at UM but we'll see.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/8/2022 at 7:37 PM, Augduck said:

Well as a manager who has hired a lot of people I can tell you it ain't easy.   Some people interview very well and I heard that Mario did interview well.   I would actually expect that. 

And let's not forget his Alabama experience carried a lot of credibility with people and that's fair.  In my world there was a time if you could get someone from IBM or one of the big consulting firms that was golden.   

One of the things that some people forget  that is not widely spoken about is that  Saban demoted Mario a couple of times while at Alabama.  Don't know any details and water under the bridge now but heard it from a former customer of mine who  works at the Univ of Alabama in the finance office . 

We still keep in touch and she recently reached out and was asking what I thought about the whole situation.  (She's a passionate Tide fan)  He was liked in Alabama, no issue there.   

Good points! I look at Marios assistant coaches he has at Miami, pretty impressive. Im hoping the best for him and think he will learn from his Duck experience. 

On 8/9/2022 at 12:46 PM, Duckhart said:

Good points! I look at Marios assistant coaches he has at Miami, pretty impressive. Im hoping the best for him and think he will learn from his Duck experience. 

The other side of this is that other than Mirabal , Salavea'  and Feld no other coaches from UO joined him.  I know that Bryan McClendon was there for a minute before moving on to Ga but Mario did not take much of the former UO staff.  

There was  some 'word on the street' that some would have not gone with him even if he had offered.  Of course both Wilson and Moorehead got head coaching jobs and Jim Mastro chose to stay on the west coast due to some family health issues so there were some extenuating circumstances but I think there were some frayed nerves there at the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

We demand…ATTRIBUTION!!!

You ask for a miracle? I give you the West. End. Zone. https://westendzone.com/, that is.

The term ‘Corch’ was minted on the off-topic board that canesinsight spun off in 2011 because some of, er, off-color content. The university administration wasn’t pleased with our propensities for celebrating big commits with porn gif threads, flying banners over underperforming coaches heads, and comical use of various gifs featuring orangutans.

Nothing miraculous about it, actually. I just like Hans Gruber. But we definitely coined that term, among others. Fee free to venture on over for some Ss and giggles, but beware. While it’s not exactly 4chan, it is an-off topic board at heart. A greater hive of scum and villainy and all that.

I will say, also, that at the WEZ, we have our eyes fully open regarding MC and his propensity to suck at inconvenient moments. Our 2022 season thread is titled (and was so moments after his hiring) “2022 Miami Hurricanes Football, the Mario Error has begun”. He wasn’t at the top of many of our lists, but given how generally crappy our coaching has been over the past 2 decades, he’d have to implode badly to not do well enough, given how weak the ACC-C is. 

I think I’ll hang around a while if you’ll have me. Spent 15 years up in Portland before moving down to SoCal (wife grew up in OC) last year. I love Oregon as a state, wish I could have spent more time in Autzen, and root for both (sorry) Oregon teams pretty hard.

I kind of hate Justin Herbert for being such a good dude and awesome QB that I’m not forced to root for the Chargers after they debased themselves and sold out to LA.

Cheers, y’all.

On 8/13/2022 at 8:24 AM, Biscuits said:

We demand…ATTRIBUTION!!! You ask for a miracle? I give you the West. End. Zone. https://westendzone.com/, that is.

The term ‘Corch’ was minted on the off-topic board that canesinsight spun off in 2011 because some of, er, off-color content. 

Our 2022 season thread is titled (and was so moments after his hiring) “2022 Miami Hurricanes Football, the Mario Error has begun”

Cheers, y’all.

As the author of the article, I thank you for correcting me on the origins of the term "corch".

Some of my fellow Duck fans and myself think the term is epic.

I didn't know the westendzone was the OG to cainsinsight, though I'd heard cloaked references. 

Duck fans don't know the stories how Cane fans raised money to make a banner, rent a plane and fly it over the stadium during the game calling for the coach to be fired. I will say this, Cane fans are 1000% invested in their team. I need to find a banner pic to post. 

So, is the WEZ the OG site for Danny Boy Cane back before the bear attacked him, for him to only survive the attack but die from the swine flu the bear gave him? 

Some say "not one iota" of that story is true...

RIP Danny Boy

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 1

I never shared in the article with our Duck fans how the Miami fans have flow banners calling for the coach to be fired. There could be a day where Mario is doing poor and the forum gets a post calling...

"Time to Fly the Banner"

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F1208%2Fr34345_12
WWW.ESPN.COM

How anonymous message board members flew the banners that publicly shamed Al Golden, ultimately costing him his job.

• Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1

I always though the term “corch” was minted by U.S. Representative Corrine Brown during her speech to the House where she formally congratulated “Corch Irving Meyers” and the Florida Gator football team for the 2008 national championship.

• Haha 1

MC is Dead to me. I just want to move on.

• Applause 1

All I can say is good riddance to the MC all to predictable play calling offense that always hung our defense out to dry leaving them exhausted out on the field.

I'm just so happy that the chargers saw something MC never did, probably the best QB in the nation that MC chose to handcuff by having more faith in his offensive line choosing to run the ball than unleashing the talent JH has.

I wish the fans of Miami good luck getting used to the poorest game planning they will ever see.

MC needs to learn one important thing, he is not an OC and leave the play calling to the guy that is.

• Haha 1