FishDuck Article

Forget the Future: The 2022 Oregon Front Seven is the BEST?

Yes, the title is a bold claim. I was thinking in December that it could be true for 2022 before the portal transfers into Oregon occurred, and now I am much more convinced. This front seven could be the most talented and deepest group at Oregon ever, and while some defensive groups in the past may have had better starting ...

Popo-Aumavae_Tom-Corno-300x300-cropped.j
FISHDUCK.COM

Yes, the title is a bold claim. I was thinking in December that it could be true for 2022 before the portal transfers into Oregon occurred, and...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I agree with you Charles.  No hyperbole when looking at the depth of talent. 

I can add that our defensive coordinator, Tosh Lupoi, will be aggressive.  The 2022 Ducks, with Dan Lanning as head coach, will match the exciting offense.

The coaching staff will turn this talent loose and create Havoc!

No more wide open receivers in the middle of the field.  No more third and 19 converted for first downs!

Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have been quietly pounding the table on the D-line for while. I completely agree, and it will be fun to watch what our coaches do with this group, the secret sauce of the havoc to come.

• Thumbs Up 2

Good article Charles, I 100% agree. I think the six guys deep the D Line goes will play a factor down in the hot Georgia weather.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mercedes-Benz Stadium is climate controlled. The competition may be hot, but the air will be comfortable.

On 8/8/2022 at 6:55 AM, Notalot said:

Mercedes-Benz Stadium is climate controlled. The competition may be hot, but the air will be comfortable.

Not from experience, but I doubt the air is ever comfortable in the trenches.

Between the experience in the depth of the front seven, and the some new tactics by the defense that we'll be looking at next week in some analysis articles --this could be a very special defense and the most fun to watch in a long time.  Thanks to all!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

If the coaches can get all the pieces to play their positions correctly then I think more IPAs are in our future Charles.

The talent and experience is definitely there.

I agree this might be the best defense Oregon has ever run out on the field. Stay healthy and I think we will be in for a treat.

Bring on the Beer.

Bassa has worked hard on his body this off-season.

From the pictures from the first day of camp he looks much bigger! 

I like our d tackles and linebackers for sure, my only worry is the pass rush.

Swinson, Funa, and DJ are key to this season. Right now I think our pass rush will be average at best, I hope I’m wrong,

I believe this will be the best sacking defense in a decade.   More next week with some defensive analyses!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/8/2022 at 6:55 AM, Notalot said:

Sometimes I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed eh?

On 8/8/2022 at 7:37 AM, Southwest Duck said:

Bassa has worked hard on his body this off-season.

From the pictures from the first day of camp he looks much bigger! 

I like our d tackles and linebackers for sure, my only worry is the pass rush.

Swinson, Funa, and DJ are key to this season. Right now I think our pass rush will be average at best, I hope I’m wrong,

On 8/8/2022 at 7:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I believe this will be the best sacking defense in a decade.   More next week with some defensive analyses!

I'm going with Charles; I think we will get all kinds of pass rush pressure this year. Everyone is going to not want to miss those articles of Charles next week!

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/8/2022 at 7:40 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I can’t wait to read them! I hope you calm my pass rush fears 😂

Great article Charles. Thanks!  The ‘right now’ LB group might even get some push from new comers Harrison Taggart and Devon Jackson who are already turning heads. And it’s nice to know we’ve two young studs in Ben Roberts and Sir Mells picking it up for the future with this DLGroup.

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, Kayvon moves on the the NFL, and we have this situation? Who'da thunk it? 

I've gotta say that while I was all over the Taimani transfer from Fuskieland, the two Nebraska transfers slipped by me at the time. When you stack up these guys with the holdovers and the incoming freshmen, it's a pretty impressive interior DL. We know the linebackers will be fabulous if they can stay healthy. So, my only real question about your prophecy, Charles, is with the edge guys. I hope DJ delivers on his promise while playing big minutes on defense for the first time. And, while we know that Funa is solid, I hope Swinson takes the next step this year.

Thanks for the good read, Charles. There's excitement in the air!  Excitement in the air, I tell ya.

• Applause 1

On 8/8/2022 at 9:15 AM, WiseKwacker said:

So, my only real question about your prophecy, Charles, is with the edge guys.

I BELIEVE this....between the savvy experience in the front seven, and the scheme that we will see....it is going to be fun.

BTW.....I am going to be breaking down that scheme over the course of the season!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

1.  Agreed.  If Flowe and most of these guys stay healthy, with these coaches...and I think the secondary has a TON of talent too, maybe a bit young but by November???

2.  You cannot ever have enough craft IPA's.

With you 100, Charles. Well said. The biggest surprise may be yet to come. If Justin Flowe stays healthy and is the beast his teammates say he is, he may end up as the star of that star-laden defense. And then where would the Ducks be? Can't wait to see them against Georgia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad we've got a deep and varied mix of interior linemen. Dorlus showed in his first season that he was gonna be good. Popo has overachieved and has really shown what hard work and commitment can do. And the portal brought us a three guys with good size, offsetting the loss we had with Jayson Jones leaving for Auburn. Being stout up the middle is where it all starts.  I remember the year before Jordon Scott arrived, and how Oregon State and Ryan Nall ran for about 900 yards right up the gut on us.  

This year's defensive front will be a strength, even with the loss of Kayvon. Nobody should discount the value of Mase Funa. That kid's been starting since he was a true freshman. It's not easy to come in at that age and wrestle away a starting role at a good program. 

It's going to be awesome.

The pressure will take the "pressure" off of a young inexperienced DB group

The new staff will be tough to scheme against

And the depth will defeat poor officiating and mystery targeting elections

Win, win, win 

• Go Ducks! 1

"Have I had too many tasty Oregon Craft Beer IPAs?"

No such thing as long as you are not driving😉

I'm bumping this..................        are we sleeping on the significance of this article is?  I'm NOT 

How many draft picks off the front seven? 4-5?

• Like 2

DJ and Sewell go high, Dorlus, Flowe, Funa, Bennett, Popo

• Thumbs Up 2

Given good coaching the Ducks should be a team that will surprise some folks back east. 

DL check

LB check

DB check

QB check......maybe

OL  check

RB check

WR check

TE check

• Go Ducks! 1